Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    Not a bad start... I feel the two unanswered questions (where did Katerina come from, and how she didn't respond to Rimmer's question about how the ship could support two hard-light holograms at the same time) might be key to things. The diving bell section with Rimmer bopping away was classic though
    Katerina avoided answering the hard light question from Rimmer, so yes, likely that's a plot device, moreso as she seemed determined to destroy Rimmer once and for all, an agenda.

Comment

Katrina... dribble

It reminds me a bit of Series VII and show always worked better in confined spaces. I'm expecting a lot from an Earth based part 2. Plus, after 21 years with these characters, I found the gravestone scene to be a surprisingly brilliant moment.

Comment

Loved the cats wetsuit

Comment

I was happy to see the canned laughter gone, overall i thought it was pretty good. A lot better then i was expecting after series 8 at least.

Comment

I still havent watched this yet, though Obvious I will do at some point... but it was on a channel called Dave... seriously... what were people expecting?

Comment

They aired classic episodes after and named the channel 'Dave Lister' but yeah for a comeback to happen at all is a miracle I say, thank god for someone funding it and sticking it on Dave.

Comment

Had its moments, on the whole it felt a bit awkward to me. BLATES gonna watch the rest tho! And I agree the gravestone bit was great.

Comment

it was poor. I had a couple of giggles, but it just felt old.

Comment

Is it on Sunday at 9pm? If so it will be lost to another show...

Comment

My guess as to how and why with Katerina was that she has something to do with the squid and dimension hopping.

Not overly impressed so far, the modern look is so odd and it feels too film-ish. Also, didn't they already experiment with no laughter track with series 7...and that's not many peoples favourite series.

Adverts on Dave as well! Just all feels very odd and the acting a bit forced, a little over-acted perhaps.

Enjoyed the grave scene as well, though yet more they didn't bother explaining...how, why, when? Oh and why the ****ing hell didn't they explain how the four of them are together at all? Or are they just treating the finale of the last series like it didn't happen? If so...why start with "9 years later"? I feel they have been constricted by reducing the show to under 30 minutes due to the ads, the older shows always used to run over, with cuts being made later.

Here's hoping it gets better though, but I'm slightly worried because whilst time has passed since the last episode (10 years no less) the writing doesn't seemed to have changed one iota, and it really really showed last night.
                      Last edited by Jebus; 11-04-2009, 11:40.

Comment

On the acting, I thought it was pretty good for the most part. I just felt that Cat and Rimmer didn't get good material to work with. Kryten did pretty well out of it. Craig Charles though, I don't know whether it's just because he's older or because it's been so long since the originals but he didn't have the cheekiness of old Lister. I almost felt like he was holding back.

I think all of them would have done better with just more jokes to work with though. I think Naylor really has a good grasp on the sci-fi and brought some great setups even after Grant left. What was missing before, and is missing here (as Jebus says, the writing hasn't changed but it's from the point of those last less-funny seasons), are any quick-fire gags. Even that opening one with the sneeze took so long to set up. In an episode so short, the gags need to be quicker.

It wasn't like there weren't any - I enjoyed the whistle mode and the 'bit crap' analysis or whatever it was.

If Grant didn't return for this, he probably never will but Naylor could work wonders with another writing partner in my opinion. Someone just to go into those scripts and chuck in gag after gag using the structure Naylor sets up.

Comment

Thing for me is that, however it happened, there's no Norman Lovett (or Hattie Hayridge) and Holly was a very very funny character, quick one-liners etc. Without that, and with the shorter episode lengths, they have an awful lot of plot to force in, perhaps at the expense of the humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                            My guess as to how and why with Katerina was that she has something to do with the squid and dimension hopping.

Not overly impressed so far, the modern look is so odd and it feels too film-ish. Also, didn't they already experiment with no laughter track with series 7...and that's not many peoples favourite series.

Adverts on Dave as well! Just all feels very odd and the acting a bit forced, a little over-acted perhaps.

Enjoyed the grave scene as well, though yet more they didn't bother explaining...how, why, when? Oh and why the ****ing hell didn't they explain how the four of them are together at all? Or are they just treating the finale of the last series like it didn't happen? If so...why start with "9 years later"? I feel they have been constricted by reducing the show to under 30 minutes due to the ads, the older shows always used to run over, with cuts being made later.

Here's hoping it gets better though, but I'm slightly worried because whilst time has passed since the last episode (10 years no less) the writing doesn't seemed to have changed one iota, and it really really showed last night.
                            I just went with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m63OqRVsBpk

Comment

I thought it was OK but it missed the laughter track. Realistically, it was never going to be as good as it used to be so I was pleased that it wasn't awful and the cast hadn't seemed to have lost any of their chemistry.

I think parts 2 and 3 will be better.

Comment

If it had been genuinely funny, it wouldn't need a laughter track.

Comment

Working...
                                X