No announcement yet.

Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This part 2 was a better than part 1 but this all seems like a setup for a series 9. Abit like watching Star Wars episodes 4, 5, and 6 and then the first 3 knowing whats coming up but seeing how it plays out. I get the feeling its all a case of everyone involved dipping their toes in the water and await the response, its all resting on the part 3.

Comment

Aww like my lat 3 posts on shows I liked are all negative but rightly so, this is a tiresome excuse for a show, no more than fanservice and stroking some (balding) egos.

Didnt like League of Gents doing this scenario and this does it much worse. I guess the real world setting is an excuse for the poor budget? but I thought the sets were fab in the first episode. No need for this drivel at all.

Comment

Been looking forward to these new specials for years and years and all i can say about the 2 episodes shown so far.

The whole idea of taking the piss out themselves is just a terrible idea done badly, it also seems like all they did in episode 2 was plug DVD's and merchandise and the Dave channel.

Red Dwarf went on for 8 series in my mind and these specials never happened.
        Last edited by NeoDragoN; 12-04-2009, 05:47.

Comment

I enjoyed the first two episodes. The atmosphere of the show has been retained and the actors are still playing their characters really well.

The first episode( before the woman appears ) was extremely enjoyable. I liked the story and the scenes were just what I want from Red Dwarf. Even when she appeared, it was still fun, but.. I'd have preferred it if things had stayed onboard the ship without her.

I laughed a few times - and felt happy watching it. The feel-good feeling is still very strong.

It all comes across as a bit rushed, because it's not a whole new season. I think the BBC should have got the show running again ages ago. It's a shame that it didn't happen. DAVE have done well to make this happen. I can only hope that the feedback is positive. It may not be brilliant, but it's easy to see that a proper new season could be something really special. The actors aren't too old( I thought they would be ) - and the show still feels exciting and special.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-04-2009, 07:36.

Comment

Yep, I'd agree with that. If this led to a proper new season, that could potentially be a very good thing. Yeah, the story of part 2 is cack, but it made me laugh and that was sorely missing from part 1. I thought the guy in the sci-fi shop was great. The jokes were snappier.

The polymorph episode that was shown afterwards really highlighted the way the stories once brought the comedy so well. That episode also wouldn't have been as funny with the fancier effects of the last couple of seasons. A real classic.

Comment

Just watched the first and second episodes, it was pretty much what I expected i.e. not great.

There were many glaring problems. The humour seemed very forced, like they were trying to remember how the original gags worked and tried to recreate them, but missing the point somewhat. It no longer felt like non-sensicle banter between blokes, and just sounded like a bunch of smart-arse comments. Also, I'm not a fan of canned laughter at all, but because it was such a staple part of the older episodes, it's absence was noticable.

On a technical level, it suffers from the problem I feared it would, technology and CG has moved on a huge amount since the old series', and as a result, everything looks overly polished, and lacks that low-budget, almost 'B-movie' look that the older shows had. The older ones looked low budget, because they were, and it added to the style. But these episodes probably had a large budget, and it shows.

They also overplayed Rimmer being a smeghead. He was always a smeghead, but never this much of a smeghead. That scene where he's listening to music not noticing what's going on inside the tank is just wrong on so many levels, as previous posters have said.

Episode 2 wasn't much better. The whole '4th wall' thing is a dangerous concept anyway since it's breaking the illusion somewhat, but classic Red Drawf could have pulled it off. It just felt completely lame on this though, like a bad ending to a Python movie (not that I'm slagging Python, mind), again feeling very laboured and forced, rather than being tongue-in-cheek. As I say, most of classic Red Dwarf's gags were found in the banter between members of the crew, or just silly running gags like Cat's 'so what is it?' gag, rather than non-sensicle gags resembling New Simpsons.

I really want to have something positive to say about this, but I have little. Maybe it's because I've been watching Season 1 and 2 recently, so they're still fresh in my mind, but the stark contrast is so evident, and perhaps some people need to remind themselves.
              Last edited by sj33; 12-04-2009, 08:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                But these episodes probably had a large budget, and it shows.
                From all accounts these 3 episodes actually had a tiny budget, which makes it even stranger. Apparently thats why they couldn't get Holly in the show, budget constraints, though that bridge has been burnt now anyway and Norman Lovett has said he won't ever work with them again.

Comment

I only managed 10mins of the first episode before deleting it off my sky plus, it was horrible and going to ruin my fond memories of the original series, which is what I expected.

Comment

I didn't mind the second episode to be honest, it had some good gags.

Comment

I enjoyed both episodes, the secod was definately funnier than the first.

Comment

I've been around since the first episodes were aired and have grown up with the series and the past two episodes have been brilliant.

It's great to see the guys back together and they riff off each other easily. The idea is sound, the back story and lore of Red Dwarf itself is expanded upon (I've never considered the ide of the water tanks on the ship) and I've laughed so many times.

Brilliant show and I'm so happy it's been brilliant so far. With the current quality I'm really considering what a new series could be like.

Comment

Most of the faults here lie with the same old RD problem whereby it should avoid multi-part stories as they've always been the weaker eps. Dunno if its true but a mate told me Part 1 got Dave's highest ever audience figures of over 2 million. I'd love for this to launch seasons IX and X

Comment

Part of me suspects that's where the story is going. Like, it will end with - it's all in your hands and a phone vote or something. But then would a channel like Dave have the money for a series? I know almost nothing about them but most compatible channels wouldn't unless it was a co-pro with someone big.

Comment

It was the highest rated multi-channel program last night

Comment

i liked both episodes, obv no where near as good as the classic episodes, but did anyone actually think they would be, maby you guys got a little to hyped up,

looking forward to part 3

Comment

Working...
                                X