No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't really classify DM2 as a wire fu film, wires were used to aid some of the fights but not to fly around a lot. Iron Monkey is brilliant but not really a comedy, just has comedic elements, like a lot of kf films. That's just my take. It's always risky saying something's the best thing ever as opinions vary and there's so much stuff out there, some of it very obscure and hard to locate. All opinions, though.

WHERE is Prinny? QC, what have you done to Prinny?

I saw an Adam Cheng film yesterday, I really, really liked it a lot. I'll post a brief review later if I get the chance.

Comment

He's been too busy in Minecraft and drinking real ale to see a proper flick for a while.

I've managed to add some more to the backlog

I was trying to work out the film on the cover to the left of the Hollywood East book I bought.

At first I thought it was Black Cat, then I thought it was Lethal Panther, but it's actually They Call Her Cat, so I was in the right ball park!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        He's been too busy in Minecraft and drinking real ale to see a proper flick for a while. I've managed to add some more to the backlog I was trying to work out the film on the cover to the left of the Hollywood East book I bought. At first I thought it was Black Cat, then I thought it was Lethal Panther, but it's actually They Call Her Cat, so I was in the right ball park!
        Heh, one of my friends always gets The Cat, Evil Cat and a few other HK films mixed up. I think I'll mention Cat vs Rat to him next time he brings one of them up. Prinny is a Minecraft player? Is that like WoW?

Comment

That book any good QC?

Was up in my mums loft and found some of my old Eastern Heroes mags and books so have been reading their 'Essential Guides...' to Hong Kong Movies and Deadly China Dolls this week and am now in the mood for more! Was always more into the horrors and heroic bloodshed films more than the kung fu tbh tho

There is about 300 bootlegs videos up there too but my back wasnt gonna risk lugging them down

Comment

Minecraft is a free-roaming game where you can build things in a blocky world. I built a roller coaster and Prinny built Nakatomi Plaza.
            I was a bit addicted for a while, but I'm OK now!

The Man of Thai Chi camera rig looks interesting, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
              That book any good QC?

Was up in my mums loft and found some of my old Eastern Heroes mags and books so have been reading their 'Essential Guides...' to Hong Kong Movies and Deadly China Dolls this week and am now in the mood for more! Was always more into the horrors and heroic bloodshed films more than the kung fu tbh tho

There is about 300 bootlegs videos up there too but my back wasnt gonna risk lugging them down
              Yeah, it's pretty good! I was hoping to find a few more suggestions of films to see, but it's still interesting. I might track down Bey Logan's "Hong Kong Action Cinema". Most of my suggestions of films to check out either come from Bey Logan commentaries or my main man Shinobi.

Those books/mags of yours sound interesting. Were they worth keeping?

Your loft appears to be a treasure-trove of Eastern action! Update the thread if your back's ever up to checking out what you've got. Did you watch anything?

Comment

Hundreds of my VHS tapes were thrown out, including originals . I envy Loftgroover, but knowing my luck, if I had kept them there, the loft or attic would have leaked and ruined them all. The throwing out wasn't my decision, BTW.

Comment

It is a treasure trove though I expect most of what I had is now on DVD in this day and age...I got the phone number of a guy who would phone me once a month (I was not to be trusted with his number ) and he would meet me on the steps outside the central library in Brum with the bootlegs I had ordered. Some were cams but a lot were copies of laser discs or telecines! Quite often with proper colour boxes. Have a fair few originals too.

Being a teenager I was gore and boob obsessed so its mainly Cat III stuff like Man Behind The Sun, Bunman Untold Story and Erotic Ghost story Aswell as Chow Yun Fat being my hero!

I once convinced my Mum that a summer holiday in London was called for purely to go to the eastern hero shop and the arcade in the Trocadero. Plus some big japanese shopping centre out Edgware way I think

Having moved out in 05 my Mum has finally cracked the whip for me to sort out the rest of my stuff so when its all boxed and ready I can list it here and you are welcome to have any of it if you want? I wont ever have a VHS player again and it would be a shame to skip it if it can go to a good home!

The books I have are.

All are excellent. Though obviously being from 93-95 are quite dated now. Decent condition, just a little discolouring on the one and the movie guide is well thumbed!

Even found a polaroid of my then girlfriend being used as a bookmark in one

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Kit, did you watch Ip Man?! What did you think?
                    Going to nip into town tomorrow evening to pick up a copy.

Will post some feedback after I've watched it!

Comment

Damn all you bastards, trying to steal the seven stars armour. Prinny is away at the moment so I'll be filling in, bastards!! I revisited two old films today Devil Killer and Drunken Dragons. Devil Killer is a fairly choppy revenge/local gang flick with some great fights. The story is fairly choppy and comes across as two films in one, the tone is serious all the way but the action is good. Plus the starting credits are great.

Drunken Dragons is an all time classic for me, I won't reveal the plot or story but the characters are superb. Cheeky bosses, midbosses and granny is just awesome. The from start to finish the action is great and the comedy is spot on. The film is also jam packed with super gadgets and some top spoofs of kung fu training plus a new take on the wiley old master.

That has to be one of the best intro scenes ever.

That is all, bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                        I wouldn't really classify DM2 as a wire fu film, wires were used to aid some of the fights but not to fly around a lot. Iron Monkey is brilliant but not really a comedy, just has comedic elements, like a lot of kf films. That's just my take. It's always risky saying something's the best thing ever as opinions vary and there's so much stuff out there, some of it very obscure and hard to locate. All opinions, though.

WHERE is Prinny? QC, what have you done to Prinny?

I saw an Adam Cheng film yesterday, I really, really liked it a lot. I'll post a brief review later if I get the chance.
                        Youre right of course. The fact that drunken master 2 is not a typical wire fu film is probably why it's my favourite (as I've already stated I dont really like many wire fu movies).

Saying anything is the best of anything is obviously an opinion, but I do believe it's somewhat of a fact that compared to any martial arts movie, wire work filled or otherwise, DM 2 and Iron Monkey are two of the most a accomplished films within the genre full stop. So I don't think it's a stretch for anyone to consider them the best.
                        Last edited by rmoxon; 05-08-2012, 22:36.

Comment

Yep, although DM2 is overrated. A good film, but considered the cream of the crop because Jackie hadn't done anything like it for ages and it was the sequel to Drunken Master. Anita Mui is extremely irritating in her role, Ti Lung isn't used enough and Lau Kar Leung was forced off the production. The early fights and then the ending make it a good film, the rest is just filler. Still a good film.

VP- you are the number two to prinny, it seems, don't try to steal the Shaolin scrolls and pass them to your Wu Dang brothers. I can't check the links but is Devil Killer the Robert Tai one? I think that has a well known fan out there.
                          Last edited by monel; 06-08-2012, 01:06.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                            Yep, although DM2 is overrated. A good film, but considered the cream of the crop because Jackie hadn't done anything like it for ages and it was the sequel to Drunken Master. Anita Mui is extremely irritating in her role, Ti Lung isn't used enough and Lau Kar Leung was forced off the production. The early fights and then the ending make it a good film, the rest is just filler. Still a good film.
                            I don't know. I think Drunken Master 2 is one of jackie chans more consistently good films. Most of them have parts that lag, particularly in the middle third, Drunken Master 2 does not. The fight that actually takes place half way into it, when you see him get drunk for the first time, is one of the most entertaining fights in any film ever and only really topped during the film becuase the finale is so amazing (and arguably the best fight scene ever filmed full stop).

Drunken Master 2 is an amazing film IMO. I believe it's considered the cream of the crop becuase it is so. The choreography is jaw dropping and inventive throughout and the comedy works better than in many films like it, it's an immensely entertaining film that achieved more than it probably set out too. It has a completely unpretentious air yet is one of the most memorable martial arts films ever. Everything about it just works perfectly. Anti Mui is suppose to be annoying as it helps us understand why his dad is so angry and it matters little if other actors are underused for the simple reason that they didn't need to be used more. Drunken Master 2 is a Jackie Chan film. You don't watch a Jackie Chan film to see other people fighting. You just don't. And Chan has never been better.
                            Last edited by rmoxon; 06-08-2012, 01:45.

Comment

Fair enough, but it's all subjective therefore to say the 'best ever' really means the best for you. To me, I have seen Jackie fight better and without wires. I also watch films to see all the actors who can fight take part in the action. I mean, do you watch a film and just look at the star, or the cast as a whole, regardless of the star who you're a fan of? Again, personal opinions are involved. To me, DM2 is a good film, great in parts even, but nowhere near the best the genre offers, as a whole.

Comment

I prefer Fist of Legend over DM2 and IM personally. Mind you, as long as master Woo Ping is choreographing its all good with me!

Comment

Working...
                                X