No announcement yet.

Depeche Mode are back !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've managed to get hold of a couple of album tracks from the usual places, Hole to Fill and Come Back.

They aren't as immediately catchy as Wrong and I suspect need a bit of time, they could be dirges or real growers like some of the stuff off Songs of Faith & Devotion, not sure yet.

Comment

As some of you may know, there are new UK dates announced in Dec. Tickets onsale Friday, but presales here troops:

Comment

first review I've seen for the new album, it also appears to be surfacing in the wild now for those who can't wait for their £60 boxsets to arrive !

Comment

pretty good album having had a few listens, its a bit of a grower and some of the tracks take a while to get in your brain.

The opener In Chains has a great twitchy guitar riff and a classy vocal, album closer Corrupt is also superb, a typically sleazy pervy Mode classic. THe lead off single Wrong is probably the pick of the album for me.

Some other great stuff on the album and a nice little instrumental (Spacewalker) which I wish had been extended and blown into a full song like Pimpf.

Good stuff and can't wait for my big box to arrive now from Amazon around the 21st April.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
            pretty good album having had a few listens, its a bit of a grower and some of the tracks take a while to get in your brain.

The opener In Chains has a great twitchy guitar riff and a classy vocal, album closer Corrupt is also superb, a typically sleazy pervy Mode classic. THe lead off single Wrong is probably the pick of the album for me.

Some other great stuff on the album and a nice little instrumental (Spacewalker) which I wish had been extended and blown into a full song like Pimpf.

Good stuff and can't wait for my big box to arrive now from Amazon around the 21st April.
            Nothing will ever top Pimpf!

It's a stronger record than Playing The Angel, though that isn't hard. Thankfully they're not treading water but I can't help but feel that some sort of sincerity and vitality is missing from their most recent music. Classic Mode seems to capably straddle the divide between the anthemic and the uncomfortably personal but there doesn't really seem to be much of that sort of thing on this record.

It's a grower, as you say- we'll see how it pans out over time.

Comment

Pimpf is amazing and sounds great on the remasters, its so orchestral the way it builds and add elements to the circular tune.

As they get older they do seem to be moving away from the big bombastic mode stuff with the huge tunes and hooks of old, Wrong is a nod in that direction but nothing else really like it on here. I wouldn't say they lack sincerity as lyrically its business as usual, they just appear a little older and more mellow, which bearing in mind the history isn't surprising.

I do think the songs here in general though are stronger than most of the stuff on Exciter and Playing the Angel.

Production wise this sounds great even on a poor rip, there seem to be several sounds that nod back to older tracks that I can't quite place, can't wait to get the cd's into my stereo.

After all thats happened I'm just delighted to still be getting decent new Mode after all these years, they've not descended into milking the reunion cash cow yet and there aren't many bands still sticking out decent new material this far into their careers.
              Last edited by merf; 31-03-2009, 08:01.

Comment

my favourite songs are Stripped, Never let me down again and World in my eyes

massive nod to home as well, shame really as home doesnt really appear that much

beautiful song

Comment

Home is lovely, should be played to anybody who accuses Mode of lacking emotion.

I can never pick a favourite as I have so many, recently been listening lots of Mode (I always do this before a new album from them for some reason), I'm loving the Goldfrapp remix of Halo which takes the song to a new level, and I usually despise remixes.

Always had a soft spot for Clean & Its No Good as well. Of the older stuff always loved And Then from Construction Time Again.

Comment

It's no good is a classic, especially when accompanied by the amusing video. One of the funniest music videos in my book. Gahan's facial expressions make it!

Comment

I loved Pimpf, but some of the instrumentals off the earlier albums are cool too - Big Muff and Nothing To Fear being prime examples.

I'm still curious as to how they'd sound nowadays if Alan Wilder rejoined, not that that's likely to happen.

Comment

Can we change the thread title ? I was not aware of them going anywhere !

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                          It's no good is a classic, especially when accompanied by the amusing video. One of the funniest music videos in my book. Gahan's facial expressions make it!
                          Agreed!

"Losers!"
                          Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

just received my huge Sounds of the Universe (number 500 odd of the unspecified ltd edition run) box set thru.

its really rather nice with some lovely picture books and other junk you don't really need but want.

shame the cd's are only in little cardboard sleeves as will look out of place next to all my other DM stuff.

Comment

Aye, I got my set yesterday. I'v not had a chance to listen to the album yet, but the set is lovely. The cardboard slipcases could have easily been one big jewel case instead, but I guess it's a minor gripe.

The boxset is much bigger than I expected, so at least I feel like I got something substantial for my £60.

Comment

just watched the hour long making of film, really rather good, highlight was a live studio version of an old classic, Stories of Old from Some Great Reward, with a Johnny Cash style vibe to it as Martin strummed an old guitar and Dave crooned his way thru it.

would love to get hold of an audio only version of that song.

* just found in on the dvd studio sessions, need to work out how to rip an mp3 from a dvd then I'm set.
                                Last edited by merf; 22-04-2009, 17:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X