Breaking Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
    I've seen the Wire and yes that is very good. I thought Oz was better though, the first few seasons especially, though it's a looking a little dated nowadays.
    Oz was very good early on but, as you say, is very dated whereas The Wire still remains relevant in so many ways because it covered so many topics. Oz also jumped the shark and lost its quality much earlier than The Wire did imo. You could only really say that the fifth and final season of The Wire was poor, and even then it was clearly resolving all the long-running storylines and tying the show up.

Comment

Oz had some pretty bad story threads in the later seasons (ageing drug takes the biscuit). And yet it also had some of the best characters in those seasons, Burr Redding for example. Even with some of the sillier threads, it delivered some seriously awesome and gut-wrenching moments but yeah it's a shame it went downhill.

Homicide Life on the Street was a little more tragic because it started so brilliantly (one of the reasons I had a hard time with The Wire was that the early seasons of Homicide seemed to do it so much better) and then got so bland. Still enjoyable but went from something special into a very generic cop show.

Comment

Finished this tonight, thought there were more episodes than there actually were in the end.

Final four episodes were great, other than that, 6/10 stuff in my opinion, not the essential viewing a lot of people would have you believe by a longshot - again in my opinion. Glad I've seen it through now or it would have been niggling me until I did.

Will certainly watch the Better Call Saul spinoff next year though, enjoyed that character.

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X