No announcement yet.

Total Recall (remake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, if you can't handle the fact that this movie can be interpreted as a dream or actual reality then there is something wrong with you. I was at primary school when I first watched this and understood the different ways this film could be perceived mainly because the prospect of it possibly being a dream was ridiculously obvious. There is no deep reasoning behind it at all.

Comment

This thread keeps on giving! To suggest the film's director only discussed the dream concept because of 'people on the Internet making ridculous theories about his film' is something else.

Anyway, I hope the new version can live up to the Arnie classic with scenes as memorable as this:

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
        This thread keeps on giving! To suggest the film's director only discussed the dream concept because of 'people on the Internet making ridculous theories about his film' is something else.
        I know it's ridiculous, that's my point, he's a dick head for doing it when for years before that he's never talked about the film as though it was anything other than really happening.

Hes as daft as the people who made the theory up.

Unfortunatley this is the Internet age for you. It seems that there's a stupid theory about every film ever made and most of them dont really work (and most of them even more stupid than the Total Recall one) and people now have the technology to tell the world about it.

In fact it's not just films is it? Some fools still think Final Fantasy VIII was all the dream of a dead man.

In fact half the films you watch probably have theories that they are all a dream. I suppose we should be thankful that with Totall Recall it's at least plausible if not very satisfying.
        Last edited by rmoxon; 09-08-2012, 22:22.

Comment

No one has made up the dream theory!!!!

FFS, this is not Dark Knight Rises! The film was always designed to have the 3 possibilities, Verhoven hasnt just said this to spark interest in the blu ray or to incite/appease fan boys. To counter your work colleagues I could argue that people in this forum have always figured different interpretations, plus most here are sci fi fans and not joe bloggs therefore in a better position to discuss. Joe Bloggs cant even be bothered with subtitles for The Raid or Crouching Tiger FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
            No one has made up the dream theory!!!!

FFS, this is not Dark Knight Rises! The film was always designed to have the 3 possibilities, Verhoven hasnt just said this to spark interest in the blu ray or to incite/appease fan boys. To counter your work colleagues I could argue that people in this forum have always figured different interpretations, plus most here are sci fi fans and not joe bloggs therefore in a better position to discuss. Joe Bloggs cant even be bothered with subtitles for The Raid or Crouching Tiger FFS!
            Calm down, you'll cause yourself an injury.

Sorry but I just don't believe it. Its just how I personally feel about the film.

Everytime I watch it, it just feels like a Stright sci if action movie, there never appears to be anything going on under the surface, and to be honest I'd never even heard of the dream theory until the last few years when articles about it started appearing on the internet.

I just don't buy that it was ever intended to be all in the main characters head. I don't even really believe that it was ever intended to be open ended because unlike many other films it never seems to be trying to do anything other than tell a straight story.

Thats what I think, You can think what you like though, you dont need to have a melt down.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 10-08-2012, 06:29.

Comment

To be fair, to watch Total Recall and not even contemplate that it might be in Quiads head is to have not watched it properly at all. It's impossible to not think it given the amount of time the film dedicates to the Rekall set up which is entirely focused on the concept of him having the scenario put in his head. Once set up, the question is there and unresolved for the whole film. To put it aside is to basically say that the Rekall staff and Arnie are the worlds greatest predictionists.

Comment

That's exactly it - the idea of the whole thing being implanted is the entire core of the movie. It's not some twist at the end (which is what separates it from some other godawful movies and many children's school short stories) or some vague hint to ponder. It is the whole concept, set up right from the start of the movie and carried all the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                  To be fair, to watch Total Recall and not even contemplate that it might be in Quiads head is to have not watched it properly at all.
                  I watched it when I was 10 the first time around and even then I wasn't sure if it was all a dream or not. Looking back now, it is full of misdirection and the movie clearly shows intent not to reveal the answers in an obvious manor.

Comment

I've watched it every year since it came out and still can't be sure, nor do I care, it's just awesome every time.

Comment

Sorry I just can't buy.

People think it might be all a dream becuase a main character says "what if this is all a dream?" if that's the case then 95 percent of the romantic comedies that have ever been made could be a dream as its a cheesy and cliched romance line used to signify that someone feels so happy as if they are dreaming.

Someone telling Arnie it's all happening in his head?. Oh ok The Terminator films must have all been in sarah conners head too thenbecuase the psychiatrist told her it was in that scene!

Theres just not enough actual proper hints in total recall that suggest it's anything other than really happening IMO.

Comment

does not bother me if it was left open on where if it was a dream or not ending and its open to interpretation thats fine. But it does bother if it ends and its showing it was definetly a dream as i always found it to be a massive cop out like they couldnt find a better way to end it (there was a anime series 12 episodes long that finished on the it was only a dream ending and that really annoyed me put me off anime for a while)

Comment

You mean like the Wizard of oz?

Stupid film that.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                            does not bother me if it was left open on where if it was a dream or not ending and its open to interpretation thats fine. But it does bother if it ends and its showing it was definetly a dream as i always found it to be a massive cop out like they couldnt find a better way to end it (there was a anime series 12 episodes long that finished on the it was only a dream ending and that really annoyed me put me off anime for a while)
                            LOL, that sounds like legend of the 4 kings.

Comment

yeah that was the one was on when channel 4 went through the time where it was showing manga anime on friday evenings

Comment

The good ol days

Can we get this thread back on track and discuss the Colin Farell version? Has anyone seen it? IGN didnt appear to like it but they're gay anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X