Total Recall (remake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
    I've watched it every year since it came out and still can't be sure, nor do I care, it's just awesome every time.
    Great minds think alike. Or do they? Maybe our brains are melting thinking about thinking about it.

Comment

Think the general opinion is that it's ok but it's not total recall, it has had all the things that made the original film special removed from it. It has a different setting and isn't very violent ect.

Comment

But hopefully, like the 1990 original, it lets the viewer decide whether it was real or whether it was Recall.

Comment

It looks fairly decent overall but like every other current Hollywood movie, the future is always so bleak.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            It looks fairly decent overall but like every other current Hollywood movie, the future is always so bleak.
            I know what you mean but I think a bleak look at the future is really just a hallmark of Phillip K dicks stories.

Blade Runner, A Scanner Darkly, even Minority Report, all pretty damn bleak really .

Comment

watched it this evening and its alright but the original is far and away much better

some nice little touches

sweat bead gave away the guy was lying in the original and in this one it was Melina's tear

in my opinion - the good

1. Kate aka Lori plays a really good baddy, i mean really good
              2. nice little touches here and there like when one of the synthetics looses an arm
              3. the travel system that links up the two federations via the earths core
              4. the mobile phone in the hand that becomes a screen when put on glass was a great idea
              5. when he is using the camo necklace there is a woman that says two weeks just before him and it bears a striking resemblence to arnies character in the original (get ready for a surprise)

In my opinion the bad

1. apart from Lori the main bad guys are really unconvincing
              2. Matthais aka Quato isnt used nearly as good as it could have been
              3. Cohaagen is terrible
              4. even though i love Lori - thought Sharon Stone played the part better
              5. not enough fighting between the girls
              6. its not on mars
              7. unsure why they went for the alter ego of Kurt Hauser instead of Douglas Hauser
              8. after 22 years 3 boobs still look as bad as they did in the original
              9. its not on mars
              10. Michael Ironside is just awesome and cannot be replaced ever
              11. in the remake the bug is in his hand and not even as much fun to remove
              12. in the remake the part where the technology that hides him isnt as good

Last edited by buster_broon; 16-08-2012, 02:14.

Comment

I watched it tonight. MEH
                By the numbers blockbuster action film. Unneeded sexy female characters prancing around and all of the good twists and turns either removed altogether or handled badly.

Good if you like to watch things blowing up and enjoy watching people running and jumping.
                In my eyes, not up there with the better more recent action sci-fi films like Minority Report or even i.Robot. More along the lines of Surrogates i.e. Pish.

The dislike of the film was only compounded by a severe dislike of Colin Farrell, who I had given another chance. Unfortunately I got sick and tired of seeing his "acting" face after 10 minutes.

If you were on the fence about whether or not to go and watch it, here is my advice. Don't bother.
                Watch the original and then watch Minority Report.

Comment

Gotta admit i'm not a Farrel fan either. Even when they amounced a TR remake it felt like it was gonna be a big mistake, just like Conan. Why they don't just change the story a little & rename these films i don't know. It would prob do better. From the trailers it kinda looks like they've taken the look & feel of Minority Report mixed with I-ROBOT. Too many lazy film makers out there at the mo

Comment

Just got back from seeing this and thought it relied way,way too heavily on special effects. Fair enough they were impressive in parts (though visually it had more in common with Blade Runner than Total Recall) but it came at the expense of a tight story, and decent characters.

Very much agree with Evilboris regarding Colin Farrell. He always seems to me as a 'second or third choice' actor who only gets a go at these big roles because the main person they were after dropped out.

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                    watched it this evening and its alright but the original is far and away much better

in my opinion - the good

1. Kate aka Lori plays a really good baddy, i mean really good
                    2. nice little touches here and there like when one of the synthetics looses an arm
                    3. the travel system that links up the two federations via the earths core
                    4. the mobile phone in the hand that becomes a screen when put on glass was a great idea
                    5. when he is using the camo necklace there is a woman that says two weeks just before him and it bears a striking resemblence to arnies character in the original (get ready for a surprise)
                    That part did make me smile.

Agree about the

hand phones being a really cool glimpse into the future too.

In my opinion the bad

1. apart from Lori the main bad guys are really unconvincing
                    3. Cohaagen is terrible
                    Totally agree. Why cast the dad from Malcolm in the Middle as your main villain!? madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post

Totally agree. Why cast the dad from Malcolm in the Middle as your main villain!? madness.
                      You haven't seen him in breaking bad then? fantastic show and he really gets to flex his acting muscle.

Comment

just watched the extended directors cut and there are sufficient differences and it adds more to it

rather than finding out about a promotion he has to go and sign to say he isnt a terrorist

you hear his name alot earlier (telephone hand video conversation with hammond)

he actually had facial surgery to look different, harry was originally played by ethan hawke, which is now the face you see when he is playing the piano

kate looks even better and is such a good baddie

Comment

I thought this was absolute tripe. "I give good wife" Urrrrrrrgh.

Comment

Just saw this last night, and I actually really liked it. Took it as standing completely separately from the original and went in with pretty low expectations I guess, but I was pleasantly surprised. The aesthetic and different technologies were pretty cool (even though there was a lot borrowed from other films) and some of the action was extremely well done.

Mostly though my dream of seeing a movie about the war between Australia and Great Britan has finally been realised! Too bad Australia is the slums, but at least we won in the end.

Comment

I felt indifferent to the whole movie. There was no pacing or anything noteworthy - it was all peaks and pretty people looking pretty. I lost interest a good way before the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X