This Is England 86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Is England 86

Cant believe there hasnt been a thread on this 4 parter yet. All the cast from the film are back for this series, which is great to see.

Well, I thought the film was brilliant & I hoped this short series was gonna be just as good.
    It hasnt dissapointed me at all. Started very light hearted, but just like the film it slowly starts to creep into very dark territory, & after tonights episode (3) its all kicked off.
    Will be glued to the final episode as its only thing in yrs that I've actually wanted to sit down & ensure I watch.

Great isn't it? Tonight's was well grim though.

Comment

That was difficult to watch. I hope Combo is set on him for a rematch.

Lol is (and looks) amazing in this. I hardly noticed her in the film but she's much more interesting than Sean.

Comment

I looked for a thread after the 1st episode. I've recorded the 3rd tonight, hopefully get it in in the morning before the Cricket. Its bloody good.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the film and although the series hasn't quite lived up to the film so far (still got to watch episode 3 today), it's still good and miles ahead of most things on TV at the moment. I believe Meadows has directed episodes 3 and 4 so it may get even better.

Comment

Fek off with yer ginger chips.

Comment

haha that guys a legend

ENGINES .. OFF!

The speccy guy referred to the C64 'computer' as a games console last night.

writer knowledge and consistency fail.

Comment

****ing 13?

Last nights episode definitely left me feeling a bit unsetttled at the darker moments though. Great TV.

Comment

This is probably the best thing on TV right now.

I don't normally care for drama - it usually comes across as contrived or inconsistent or plain dull, but Shane Meadows is probably the best director in the world right now with an uncanny gift for evoking raw emotion in it's many states - be it happyness, anger, fear, disgust and so on. One minute your wiping tears from your eyes from laughing and the next your stomach's in knots and you feel very uncomfortable. It's powerful stuff.

Oh, and I urge everybody who enjoyed This Is England to check out Dead Man's Shoes - an even grittier slice of Yorkshire life and easily his best movie to date.

Comment

I think last nights was the best episode so far but I don't feel as a whole it stands up to the film too well.
                    It followed the template a little too closely for my liking, BUT I agree it is easily one of the best things on tv currently mainly I think due to the actors and the obvious camaraderie they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      Oh, and I urge everybody who enjoyed This Is England to check out Dead Man's Shoes - an even grittier slice of Yorkshire life and easily his best movie to date.
                      Dead Mans Shoes is my one of my favourite films, Paddy Considine is class.

This series hasn't lived upto my high expectations, its good (and better than most other TV) but the film was better. The series has a lot of side story elements that aren't that interesting and smells voice seems much more irritating than the film!

I'm hoping combo will liven up the last episode a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                        I'm a huge fan of the film and although the series hasn't quite lived up to the film so far (still got to watch episode 3 today)
                        Trust me, this 3rd episode is where it all kicks off. You will feel pretty sick by the end.
                        I dunno what Combo's role is in this film whether he's turned over a new leaf or what. I'm guessing he has because his jail mate Banjo from the film is now big buddy's with the gang. I really despised Combos character in the film which just goes to show how well acted it was.

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                        Loved DMS. Fantastic revenge story, raw, funny, sad & grim. Very sad actually. You really feel his pain & the rpe thought out steps he then takes.

Comment

Yeah, Dead Man's Shoes is a savage assault on the emotions and is one of those movies, much like Requiem For a Dream, that I couldn't stop thinking about for days after watching it.

Comment

Just watched that third episode. Went from very amusing to horrific without feeling clumsy. Best one yet, and I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Comment

Looks like there has been a lot of stunned & shocked viewers twittering after last nights episode. Come to think of it, I wondered why the 1st episode was on at 9 whereas the other 2 started at 10. Its all so obvious now.

I really hope they do another series. Theres so much that could be done with it, providing Meadows is involved & is allowed to do what he does best

Comment

Working...
                              X