No announcement yet.

This Is England 86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still like the film better, but it's maybe unfairly weighted for me, as I have seen the film about 4 or 5 times now. Maybe I will enjoy the series more on repeated viewings.

Comment

I found the initial rape quite arousing. Good series this was.

Comment

oh base... *facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
          Well.......ummmmm............despite how much i've said I enjoyed the series, I have to admit something. Until yesterday, I hadn't actually seen the film! Now, I don't know if it's the order i've seen them in, but even though I enjoyed the film, I think the TV series was better in every way. Only my opinion though............
          WHAT

Comment

It's a shame that there wasn't more time to expand on the impact that the events of the last episode would've had on Trev and Kelly. Meadows also ducked the Milky/Combo situation a bit- it would've been interesting to see how Milky would've reacted to Combo reappearing and whether or not Lol decides to keep Combo's secret at the expense of their friendship.

Watching the film and the series has encouraged me to rent some of the Meadows catalogue from Lovefilm, so I watched Dead Man's Shoes for the first time the other night. Paddy Considine was utterly magnetic.

Comment

You need to watch A Room For Romeo Brass next for another superb Paddy Considine performance, and a young Milky.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                oh base... *facepalm*
                I swear at times she looked and sounded like she was enjoying it

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                  You need to watch A Room For Romeo Brass next for another superb Paddy Considine performance, and a young Milky.
                  It's on my rental list. I'd only seen Considine in 24-Hour Party People and Bourne beforehand, so DMS was something of a revelation- right from the moment he barked at the drug dealer in the pool club. I'll be sure to try and track down everything I can find now. I didn't know that he was in A Room for Romeo Brass, so that's a nice bonus.

Tried to watch Twenty Four Seven this afternoon but the disc was knackered so I'll have to wait until Lovefilm send another one out. Settling down with a cup of tea and a sticky bun to watch something that skips all over the place is enough to drive someone to piracy!

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                    I swear at times she looked and sounded like she was enjoying it
                    Christ almighty base lol

Comment

I thought the series was pretty good. The feeling of nostalgia and not all of it of the pleasant variety, I got from this series was incredible.

A lot of the gritty events could have been about my life at that time, when there was lots of violence (against women, amongst youth, targeted at youth). Whilst, I'm not claiming I was abused or raped, obviously, I do know some of those people around me at that time, were subject to violent fathers, boyfriends, etc., some of it truly horrendous.

I don't know if it was the jobless situation of that time, but life was often harsh and violent but as kids you make the best of it, even if it gets you a beating later.

Comment

Working...
                      X