No announcement yet.

This Is England 86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read an interview he did, saying that should this series get a good reaction, there would be more to come. Which can only be a good thing, as it manages to do something that pretty much all British TV fails on, presents a full cast of believable characters. When the daft fun stuff is going on, I can relate to so much of it from when I was young and stupid myself. And when it's tackling the harder moments, even more so.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
      I read an interview he did, saying that should this series get a good reaction, there would be more to come. Which can only be a good thing, as it manages to do something that pretty much all British TV fails on, presents a full cast of believable characters. When the daft fun stuff is going on, I can relate to so much of it from when I was young and stupid myself. And when it's tackling the harder moments, even more so.
      Well its looking promising then. I feel the same as you mate. Characters are believable on both ends of the scale, again, probably because I too can relate to it alot from when I was younger. There were weird mental times & laughs, & there were pretty nasty moments.

Comment

I'm sorry to say that I've not seen the original film, hence why I haven't watched '86. That said, I've heard that it is pretty good and I'm familiar with the excellent work of Shane Meadows (check out A Room for Romeo Brass if you haven't already done so - quality film and it has Andrew "Milky" Shim and Paddy Considine in it!).

'86 is going to get a DVD release very soon, so I'll wait for that and watch it after the original film.

Comment

Another aspect I love about the show (and the movie) is it rekindles so many memories of growing up in the eighties when my brother went through a skinhead phase with his drain pipe denim jeans and Dr Martens boots. And gat guns, anybody remember those from the eighties? I was forever getting shot in the leg with darts from those things. Bloody hurt too.

Comment

The film was much better than the series, the most recent episode was horrifying that they were allowed to show that much (I'm sure we can guess the scene) I did have to turn it over at the end. Probably because I am female was a bit too much for me. Shame because I feel lke a programme should never make people do that.

But then at the same time it can be extremely witty and funny too, I can never forget the scene about 2 weeks ago when they're all on their 'L' bikes and crash into each other because they can't turn around.

Although I have to say that bird with the shaven hair, small nose and nasily voice is just awful, I cringe when she comes on the TV! (b**ch - i know) lol

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              And gat guns, anybody remember those from the eighties? I was forever getting shot in the leg with darts from those things. Bloody hurt too.
              They had those Black Widow catapults in the film. I remember when I was a nipper that there was a big thing about them being rat killers. I also remember running thru these fields from this bunch of older local nutters who shot my mate right up the arse from long range with 1. He had the biggest arse bruise I've ever seen a few days later!
              Got the ****e kicked out of me by them a few days later, then thrown in a bush for calling 1 of them a dirty bastard for spitting on me.

Aaaaahhh, happy days eh
              Last edited by EDDIE M0NS00N; 22-09-2010, 21:03.

Comment

This is awesome '86. The moment when lol's dad went to the door in ep3 was when i began feeling horrible but it was similar to the feeling i felt when combo invited milky round in the film!

Alls i want is woody to come good because he's clearly the best character!

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace View Post
                  Alls i want is woody to come good because he's clearly the best character!
                  Great scene with Milky in the bathroom.

I'm rewatching the film and I'd forgotten how nice Woody was when he reached out to Sean, which makes you root for him to get things sorted out with Lol and for them to get their lives together. It's a real shame to see him have to grow up and be dissatisfied with life in the series, especially at work. It seems like the "hunting" scenes from the film are just a distant memory to his character now. As much as I'd like to see Combo sort Lol's dad out, I'm wondering if Meadows is setting Woody up to do that instead.

Comment

Yeah true. But woody wouldn't do that would he? The whole combo coming back into it has made a right mess.

Comment

I think Lol will kill her dad and Combo will take the blame for it because he loves her.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Verceti View Post
                        They had those Black Widow catapults in the film. I remember when I was a nipper that there was a big thing about them being rat killers. I also remember running thru these fields from this bunch of older local nutters who shot my mate right up the arse from long range with 1. He had the biggest arse bruise I've ever seen a few days later!
                        Got the ****e kicked out of me by them a few days later, then thrown in a bush for calling 1 of them a dirty bastard for spitting on me.

Aaaaahhh, happy days eh
                        Haha. I remember Black Widow catapults well. I remember really wanting one but my mother refusing to let me have it.

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace View Post
                          Yeah true. But woody wouldn't do that would he?
                          That may be the point- up until now Lol seems disappointed with almost everything he does, so he may step up where it counts to try and win her back if he finds out about her dad. Milky has already failed to intervene when needed, so that's one crisp buyer out. It still doesn't explain Combo returning but we really know nothing about that so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                            I'm rewatching the film and I'd forgotten how nice Woody was when he reached out to Sean, which makes you root for him to get things sorted out with Lol and for them to get their lives together. It's a real shame to see him have to grow up and be dissatisfied with life in the series, especially at work.
                            I thought Woody was such a great character in the film. He was almost like a dad to Shaun who'd lost his dad in the falklands. Was defo my favourite. It showed that you cant judge someone just by looks.

I dont know what is gonna happen in the final episode. Theres so much **** gone down in the 3rd that it could go in so many different directions which is great because its difficult to predict the outcome & leaves you on the edge of your seat.

Comment

Sat here gagging on this coming on, can't wait to (hopefully) see Lol's dad get what he deserves. Can't remember the last time a TV show had me this desperate to see the conclusion.

Comment

p r e d i c t a b l e

Comment

Working...
                                X