Robocop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    This would make an excellent fakeumentary. "A day in the life of robocop".
    Surely this has to be done by someone soon.

Comment

I've been trying not to, but I caved and watched the trailer.

Plop.

And why does he have a red line across his visor? He's not a cylon ffs.

But as ctn said, if it's better than RC3 then....

Comment

Is being better than RoboCop 3 really a merit though? Is that enough for people? To me, if it's not on par with the original, it's going to be an absolutely pointless film.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
          Is being better than RoboCop 3 really a merit though? Is that enough for people? To me, if it's not on par with the original, it's going to be an absolutely pointless film.
          Ditto. If the yardstick we're judging these films on is that "at least it's not as bad as Robocop 3" I think I'll just send in ED-209 to kill me now...

Comment

Given that many of us have seen the trailer, seen the original and most likely prefer Verhoven's take on the idea, what will it take for next year's re-imagining of Robocop to convince people it'll be worthwhile?

To start with, I think an 18 certificate is mandatory. If you can't convey the mood of 'extreme crime requires extreme justice', why are you bothering with making a reboot in the first place?

Comment

The 18 rating I can live without, there will always be the original for that and much of the originals tone would have been down to Verhoeven. As long as the film isn't disrespectful to its roots and isn't empty headed I'm fine with taking it on its own merits given how long ago the series was already ruined anyway.

Comment

I wonder if, once they've remade every film from the 80s, they'll just remake them all again. But this time it's a reboot! (TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING)

What remakes have there been that matched or exceeded the quality of the original? I'm discounting Scarface (De Palma version) here as it was so far removed from the original that it wasn't really a remake at all.

The only one I can think of is Ocean's Eleven. The Rat Pack version is pretty dire.
                Last edited by wakka; 10-09-2013, 10:17.

Comment

They're incredibly rare and even then tend to be remakes of foreign films rather than direct remakes or remakes of classic era films like The Thing was.

Comment

...Dredd?

Comment

I really don't know if you class a film based on a book etc being a remake of a film.

Comment

Godzilla, the U.S. version.

And this if it ever gets made:

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock
                          ...Dredd?

Nah. It wasn't a remake of the Sly one, it was an entirely separate adaptation with a different story.

Originally posted by vanpeebles
                          I really don't know if you class a film based on a book etc being a remake of a film.

That's an adaptation rather than a remake.

And US Godzilla...really? That film is so bad. Man I hate remakes. Waste of time unless you're one of the people receiving a cheque at the end of it.

Comment

It was a joke. That film is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I wonder if, once they've remade every film from the 80s, they'll just remake them all again. But this time it's a reboot! (TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING)

What remakes have there been that matched or exceeded the quality of the original? I'm discounting Scarface (De Palma version) here as it was so far removed from the original that it wasn't really a remake at all.

The only one I can think of is Ocean's Eleven. The Rat Pack version is pretty dire.
                              To clarify, are you asking which remakes are better than the original, or which remakes of 80s films are better than the original?
                              If it's 80s-only, there aren't many!
                              Piranha 3D, Fright Night and 21 Jump Street (winner of the official rmoxon best comedy of the last quarter-century award)

I think the main issue with most of the weaker remakes is that they're of already brilliant films that really don't need remaking.
                              I'm hoping that as they run out of these titles, they'll turn to the less popular films that could actually benefit from a remake. The ones that were aaaalright, but not brilliant.

Teen Wolf, Cannonball Run, Enemy Mine, Dune, The Last Starfighter, Cherry 2000, Timecop, Brainstorm, Dreamscape, Robot Jox, Freejack, Salute the Jugger, Project X, Flight of the Navigator, Philadelphia Experiment and so on.

Comment

I'd love to see an epic Dune film series with big budget and fancy visuals.

Comment

Working...
                                X