Do you still 'buy' music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you still 'buy' music?

In the last two weeks I've had two people comment on the fact they've noticed me unwrapping a new CD. I don't get it. 'Ahh, so you're the one still buying CDs'

To which I look at them puzzled. , yes, yes I do, instead of buying the more expensive lower quality version on itunes.

So do you still buy music, is it 100% online purchases, physical media (vinyl/cd), or a mix of both, or do you just download the lot for free?

edit: actually quite often I'll download an album to see if I like it, but if I don't after one playthrough it's deleted and if it is liked, I buy it and then delete it anyway. It's not a very good method to be honest because a lot of albums I hate on first play and they never get to grow on me. I find if I just throw caution to the wind and purchase anyway I end up liking them a lot more usually as you tend to listen to it more.

I've bought some turds that way though too.
    Buy on physical media (cd/vinyl .... minidisc... *cough*)
    0%
    Buy downloads from online stores such as itunes or amazon
    0%
    A bit of both of the above
    0%
    I download everything for free, yargh
    0%
    Stream stuff innit
    0%

CDs all the way.

Whenever I download something I just listen to it thinking "I wish I had the CD for this."

Comment

You don't have an option for streaming services in that poll - that's how I tend to listen to most of my music these days.

Comment

god damnit!

Comment

I've had little to no interest in purchasing music online thus far. Don't want to use iTunes, don't want any DRM attached to files which becomes a pain to manage, plus I like to rip my music to FLAC format.

Comment

When it comes to owning music I'll download mp3's/itune singles but for albums it's CD all the way. I wouldn't pay ?7-10 for no physical copy to rely on, hence why downloadable full fat games stand no chance with me

Comment

100% CD for me. I rip them onto my computers, but always prefer to listen to the CD when possibile.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                100% CD for me. I rip them onto my computers, but always prefer to listen to the CD when possibile.
                Same, I do rip any cd I buy before listening, but just to have a lossless copy which I can conveniently just change tracks quickly on. I do like lossless streaming but it's much better to just stick a CD on and kick back without having to change track or album.

Comment

Until I can get all of my music legally online in a lossless format, I'll continue to buy CDs.

Comment

I buy mainly CDs, usually older music that I no longer have a decent copy of or lost my original version. I only buy digital media if there's no other choice, it's happened a couple of times.

Sometimes have to buy vinyl if there is no other version available, but then ripping and converting becomes an issue.

Comment

CDs all the way, rarely from a shop tho. Amazon usually undercuts iTunes on new releases anyway so why not get the cd? Part of me still dosent trust modern technology not to go tits up and take a digital only music collection with it. A generational thing I'm sure, I doubt kids buy CDs anymore.

Comment

Spotify all the way. At home on the PC or using my iPhone when out and about.

Comment

Sorry to go OT, but I asked this in the Spotify thread and got no answers-does anyone know how to send an invite for 'Spotify free' from a paid account, rather than for the normal 'Spotify Open'.?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
                            CDs all the way, rarely from a shop tho. Amazon usually undercuts iTunes on new releases anyway so why not get the cd? Part of me still dosent trust modern technology not to go tits up and take a digital only music collection with it. A generational thing I'm sure, I doubt kids buy CDs anymore.
                            I buy mine from play.com or used on ebay, never spend more than 6 quid pretty much, thats why I don't mind taking a punt on something for 4 quid posted or whatever. If I get tired of any cds I give them to a charity shop, its my way of contributing to a good cause. I don't see the point in selling them on ebay for the couple quid you'd get.

Comment

Spody What?

Comment

Working...
                              X