Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    All booked in for Weds now. Just had to be better than Kingdom but in either case I was my son's age when my Nan took me several times to see Last Crusade at the cinema. This is literally the last time in my life that I'll be going to the cinema to see Harrison Ford in a new Indiana Jones movie.

Just had to better than Kingdom...
    I remember seeing last Crusade at some ****ty dank cinema in Devon while on holiday with my parents. . Must have been about 14.
    Ill be taking my son to see the new indiana movie this Saturday. Surprised we actually get it so quickly!

Comment

I saw it at a local cinema in town, it used to have around 6 before I was born but one by one they each folded until only one remained. It was one my Nan had worked at when she was in her late teens, doing stuff like selling the ice creams during the intermissions. It was the first film I saw at the cinema that didn't wash over me, ended up going three times before it came off which is impressive given the cinema was a converted theatre that only had two screens. It's a Wetherspoons now

Comment

I saw it at a local cinema in town, it used to have around 6 before I was born but one by one they each folded until only one remained. It was one my Nan had worked at when she was in her late teens, doing stuff like selling the ice creams during the intermissions. It was the first film I saw at the cinema that didn't wash over me, ended up going three times before it came off which is impressive given the cinema was a converted theatre that only had two screens. It's a Wetherspoons now
        It makes me sad how many old cinemas are gone.
        The Odeon that used to be on London Road in Liverpool was epic. The main screen was huge. I remember seeing Ghostbusters on there with my mum back in 85. Man, I **** my pants when the Liberian ghost transformed. There's a video taken by the manager of that Cinema just before it closed floating around on YouTube. He shows the main screen and it still impresses now.
        Another amazing cinema was the ABC which became the Canon on Lime Street. That is still there, as a listed building. The cinema is still inside too. It is one of those elaborate post war cinemas with steep seating. I remember seeing the Neverending Story in that one, again with my mum.

Man, I have so many memories of going to the cinema with my parents. Superman 2 with my dad and Fox and the Hound with my mum again. Man, I must have only been about 6 or 7 at the time.
        Last edited by Yakumo; 27-06-2023, 09:35.

Comment

My first cinema experience was the 101 Dalmatians re-release around 1986 or something, when I was five, at the Unit 4 cinema in Brierfield. As it was just a short bus ride away this place became our regular when we were all teens. I later saw Honey I Shrunk The Kids and Prince of Thieves there.

The next time was Ghostbusters II at the then newly opened WB cinema in Bury (1989). So memorable. I even remember the Loony Toons intro where the ask every ****er to sit still and be quiet. That place also had a pretty sick arcade. I played Hard Drivin’ and Operation Wolf.
          Last edited by dataDave; 27-06-2023, 22:24.

Comment

Ours was a Canon and in order to make it a two screen cinema they'd placed a screen on the stage and then in the upper circles they had hung a second screen above the first one then used cables to hang a false roof to separate the lower stalls from the upper circle. I don't remember being able to hear the other screen playing so hats off to them for pulling that off but in hindsight it feels like a trap for kids clambering over waiting to happen. Because of that set up you would enter the foyer which had the old school concession stand to the side and then a split grand staircase to get up to the second screen. All stripped out though as the immediate thing after its closure was its conversion into a LaserQuest which meant they gutted the entire place. Given sometimes Wetherspoons try to reflect the original buildings set up it would have been nice to restore it to an extent but only the exterior of the building remains as is now.

After two decades they built a Cineworld but to be honest I hardly ever go because Cineworld is such a poor experience compared to its rivals

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Another amazing cinema was the ABC which became the Canon on Lime Street. That is still there, as a listed building. The cinema is still inside too. It is one of those elaborate post war cinemas with steep seating. I remember seeing the Neverending Story in that one, again with my mum.
              Mine in Wakefield was ABC/Cannon too, it was an Art Deco era cinema with an amazing interior. Three screens all equal size, with love seats on the back rows for hot dates. Sadly it went bust almost immediately due to the new Cineworld and shut in about 1997 and sat derelict until it very recently (as in a couple of months ago) became a pile of mud and gravel.

Really miss the place, the Cineworld seemed flash but I was loyal to the ABC - it was basically run by old dinner lady types who chucked out any troublemakers without a second thought, didn’t charge the earth for concessions and also didn’t care if you walked in with pockets full of Monster Munch. The Cineworld was all bag/coat checks, popcorn for nearly a tenner, I thought sod it. I’m glad to see my one-man boycott (that I’ve been doing since 1997) has finally started to cause their business some problems.

Comment

It take one man...to make no difference.

Comment

All booked in for Weds now. Just had to be better than Kingdom but in either case I was my son's age when my Nan took me several times to see Last Crusade at the cinema. This is literally the last time in my life that I'll be going to the cinema to see Harrison Ford in a new Indiana Jones movie.

Just had to better than Kingdom...
                  It won't take much, crystal skull was so full of jump the shark moments that were really at odds with the previous films, Indy has always featured religious artifacts and the super natural and you believed in the world because everything else was grounded in reality, When you have things like surviving an atomic bomb in a fridge or gravity deifying monkey swinging scenes featuring dodgy CGI it really undermines the reality of the world your watching. The fridge bomb bit had more in common with a road runner cartoon than an Indy film.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 27-06-2023, 13:25.

Comment

I saw Last Crusade at the Showcase Cinema in Walsall.
                    It really felt like a slice of America came to the UK when that opened with its 12 screens and big sign like outside ones in the US, rather than just 2 or 3 films showing on one screen.

Massive car park and a ludicrously large foyer, for some reason!

However, it wasn't that great because the seating was barely tiered, so someone tall could easily block your view.
                    I had to scooch down to avoid blocking the person behind, but then my knees would invariably get clonked by the person in front rocking in the chair.

Sad to see it demolished fairly recently, but its time had come.

Comment

The greatest lesson in cinema is never, ever allow a disinterested Spielberg to make a sequel. It's amazing how much his lack of interest is visible on screen which is why I'm cautiously hopeful with Destiny as Mangold will no doubt at least have been actively trying his damnedest to hit a certain bar

Comment

Vue Cinema, Pilsworth - January 3rd 2015 I saw a few reports on this place flying round and decided to go and take a look for myself. This was my first proper explore so I hope I haven't done too badly :D Hope you enjoy! The Visit As it looked a fairly easy one, I decided to bring along a...

So, this is what happened to the Warner Village cinema I was talking about. This was 2015, too!

What a shame. It's actually quite heartbreaking to see it in that state. I played Killer Instinct there for the first time after coming out of watching Dumb & Dumber.

It was 1989 I first went, not 1988 sorry. Apparently, Liza Minelli opened the place! It was an absolute paradise as an eight year-old. It was like walking into Rapture.
                        Last edited by dataDave; 27-06-2023, 22:25.

Comment

It's bad enough that all these places fall into disrepair but I've never understood the chav need to wreck empty buildings

Comment

Some more memories are of me and my friends going to watch the Star Wars Special Editions there. Hey, I like them! They released when we were at peak Star Wars fandom.

Return of the Jedi is especially memorable as that was the first time I'd ever tried Häagen-Dazs ice cream. I had a standard HD pint cup custom-filled with three flavours, and have since never really looked at another brand.

Comment

It's bad enough that all these places fall into disrepair but I've never understood the chav need to wreck empty buildings
                              I don't understand a lot of things.

Comment

Chavs do what Chavs do. Low life's have no reason because they have nothing upstairs to reason with.

Comment

Working...
                                X