Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, post-viewing thoughts:

I liked it. It's not perfect and as you would expect, you can't recapture the elusive air that the original trilogy has but it makes a serious attempt at it and doesn't try to pretend it isn't dealing with an older lead. There is a fair bit of CG giving it a modern movie look but at the same time the vast majority of it is used either for special effects or touching up scenes, it's not as aggressive as it was in Skull and the sets don't have that 'studio' feel or lighting that the fourth film contained. It feels like a long adventure as well that strings a few familiar beats and contains a lot more action than Skull had, it's a film that is constantly on the go.

However, as much as it's action scenes feel lively and well made there's nothing that will really stick in your mind down the road the same way some of the sequences from the early films do. Likewise, it's a light humoured film but there are no real memorable lines with less in the way of those quirky character moments and expressions that everyone loves from the franchise. Ford clearly loves it but they've built the plot and characterisation of old Indy much around that of old Ford, he's a more gruff and miserable old man. The plot contextualises why in some nice scene moments and arc wise it's a nice closer for the character. Any old reddit-esque theories about the film trying to set up a replacement or Indy tagging along in a film focused on Bridge don't come to pass, the supporting characters are present in no different a manner as the ones in the prior movies.

Raiders and Crusade are just unassailably better films. Destiny is definitely better than Skull, I think Skull frames some of its humour better but otherwise Destiny beats it on all other counts. When it comes to Doom, that's a more difficult one. Doom I feel is a good film but is elevated by the bookend films on either side of it. You get a good opener in it and a good action finale but it's a slower film that sags more in the middle. It's characters and humour are much better than Destiny though. Those doggedly putting the OG trilogy first will side with Doom as will those against Destiny largely because it deploys CG or they hate having an old Indy lead an entry. As time goes on I'm open to the idea that Destiny might settle nuzzled somewhere close to Temple of Doom level for me, if for different reasons.

It's not a peak, classic finale for Indiana but it's at least a respectful and competent one.

Comment

I've heard phoebe waller-bridge is insufferable. What's your opinion?

Comment

I haven't seen it but that sounds like a typically misogynistic take by ultra fans of particular franchises. They almost started World War 3 over that Ghostbusters with women.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          I've heard phoebe waller-bridge is insufferable. What's your opinion?
          Could have been worse, they could have opted for Millie Bobby Brown!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            I haven't seen it but that sounds like a typically misogynistic take by ultra fans of particular franchises. They almost started World War 3 over that Ghostbusters with women.
            To be fair, I still can’t work out which was worse. Ghostbusters with women, or Ghostbusters with kids/Paul Rudd.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              The Ghostbusters thing always pops up. But the thing with that film is that it was ****. Plain and simple. You could replace the main cast with the original actors and that film is still ****.

Comment

**** or not, there was a whole lot of moaning that was centred squarely around the fact that it had women in it instead of men.

Personally I instantly take any moaning about a female star in a revival of a beloved franchise with a massive bag of salt.

Comment

Yep. Much of the objections (from people who haven’t seen it) appear to be the usual issue with guys having a problem that women exist.

I’m going to see this tonight. Hoping I enjoy it. I don’t need a work of genius. I don’t need it to be Raiders. I just hope it gives me a fun time.

Comment

Bridge was fine, no different than anyone else who's been an Indy+1 (edit-actually, she's better than Willie and more substantial than Elsa). It sounds awful but the kid is probably the weakest link, he's kind of just 'there' which is an awkward fit when the only other comparison is a vastly better handled Short Round
                    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 29-06-2023, 17:34.

Comment

What about that Narcos **** with the rubbish ‘tache? His moustache is the most annoying thing from the trailers.

Comment

Ghostbusters with women would have been great if they’d went with a totally different group of women, a different script, and ultimately a different director.

Comment

Well, I enjoyed it. It’s a good action romp overall, with a few parts that have a bit of that classic feel but maybe too many parts that were chases indistinguishable from each other. The story and Ford himself handled his age well, never sidelining him but also not stretching the limits of his age to a ridiculous degree. The secondary characters were all good with the exception of the kid. And the plot was pretty good in my view and had some good moments, although I feel very little of it felt really special. Like it lacked some majesty.

And the other thing I think it lacked was some real fun and levity. It was rarely funny. And I do wonder if they were afraid people might think it was goofy or silly if they pushed it too far and so held back a bit. It’s hardly gritty and it doesn’t get serious but it just lacked a little extra fun that I think the originals had. A factor there is that, when old man Ford shouts, it’s kind of sad and scary rather than funny, which it was when younger Ford shouted.

But overall, I thought it was pretty good. Probably better than I was expecting.

Comment

Yep, I think that's probably the biggest thing it needed, some of that Last Crusade styled finding fun in the moment. A good example is having Banderas in it but it's very here nor there that he is, it could have just as easily been an unknown actor. It being a reaction to Skull feels right but the character moments were never the parts people took issue with in that film so it's a bit of an over correction. I like the emotional beats though, could have used a couple more and the idea of Indy dealing with how unrewarding the outcome of his life has been is a good one to lead with. The missus has developed an interest in the film so tomorrow we're going to go and I'll see how it sits on second viewing.

Comment

Yes, Banderas was wasted. He was fine in it but could have been much more/

Comment

I'm glad to hear good things about the new Indiana movie. Got my tickets booked for tomorrow's Dolby Atmos showing. Kind of pissed that they only have one showing in that format for the whole day but a crap load of the Japanese dub version or the English version in that awful 4DX format where they basically project half the film on the the side walls of the cinema.

Comment

Working...
                                X