Prometheus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
    If there is a "directors cut" made it will probably be becuase the studio wants one. That is pretty much the main reason a extended cut gets released its a way to make more money for a studio.
    Whilst I agree that additional 'cuts' of the film will make extra money for a studio, I don't personally believe that most of the time its just a cynical way of making more money.

Take the LOTR trilogy as a perfect example, lots of people moaned at the fact that extended versions appeared after the theatrical versions but there is no way the majority of people would have been able to watch the extended version of the films at the cinema. I actually can't watch the standard versions of those films anymore, there is just too much missing.

It comes down to making sure a runtime of a film isn't overly long so that people don't have to get up half way through to go to the loo. So it makes perfect sense to me to have extended versions of films afterwards that people can watch at their own leasure.

And it's not like every film has a extra cut a few months after the bluray / dvd release. The majority of films that have been released in the last few years (A-Team, Green Lantern etc) have all had slightly longer versions out as soon as home release is available, so I don't see it as cynical in any way myself.

I suspect there will be an extended cut of this film though at some point though, there did seem like there were some major gaps in the story.

Back on topic though, I thought it was an ok movie if unspectacular. The 'Vision' of the film is very good and I do like the ideas that come about from it, even though you could see most of them coming a mile off. My main gripe was that most the actors were just there to be killed off one way or the other, and then thats it. It was a bit sloppy in that regard.

Saying that there is the one 'scene' which had me covering my eyes at one point I must admit. I'm not squimish in any way but the way it was shot and done was quite unnerving. Also Fassbender seems to turn everything he touches into gold, and was as good as Ian Holm was in Alien.

As with a lot of 'prequels' or 'remakes' or whatever though people expect too much. Obviously there was the pay off

at the end of the film with the evolution of the 'alien' species

, but otherwise this film stands apart in that particular universe..

Speaking of

the 'alien' at the end of the movie, assuming that this is the point where the species comes into being

then surely that creates a massive continiuty problem with

Predator 2?

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
      Whilst I agree that additional 'cuts' of the film will make extra money for a studio, I don't personally believe that most of the time its just a cynical way of making more money.

Take the LOTR trilogy as a perfect example, lots of people moaned at the fact that extended versions appeared after the theatrical versions but there is no way the majority of people would have been able to watch the extended version of the films at the cinema. I actually can't watch the standard versions of those films anymore, there is just too much missing.

It comes down to making sure a runtime of a film isn't overly long so that people don't have to get up half way through to go to the loo. So it makes perfect sense to me to have extended versions of films afterwards that people can watch at their own leasure.

And it's not like every film has a extra cut a few months after the bluray / dvd release. The majority of films that have been released in the last few years (A-Team, Green Lantern etc) have all had slightly longer versions out as soon as home release is available, so I don't see it as cynical in any way myself.

I suspect there will be an extended cut of this film though at some point though, there did seem like there were some major gaps in the story.

Back on topic though, I thought it was an ok movie if unspectacular. The 'Vision' of the film is very good and I do like the ideas that come about from it, even though you could see most of them coming a mile off. My main gripe was that most the actors were just there to be killed off one way or the other, and then thats it. It was a bit sloppy in that regard.

Saying that there is the one 'scene' which had me covering my eyes at one point I must admit. I'm not squimish in any way but the way it was shot and done was quite unnerving. Also Fassbender seems to turn everything he touches into gold, and was as good as Ian Holm was in Alien.

As with a lot of 'prequels' or 'remakes' or whatever though people expect too much. Obviously there was the pay off

at the end of the film with the evolution of the 'alien' species

, but otherwise this film stands apart in that particular universe..

Speaking of

the 'alien' at the end of the movie, assuming that this is the point where the species comes into being

Predator 2?

The LOTR films are an exception really as they actually happened due to demand, and also the longer versions are not directors cuts, they are simply extended editions that were released becuase people complained that the films (specifically the second one) were missing a lot of important scenes. The directors cuts of the films, meaning the ones that Peter Jackson originally submitted to the studio, are a actually the theatrical versions.

As for extended versions of films being released at the same time as the normal cut hits home video, I don't see why that can't be seen as a blatant attempt to make money, most of the time the extra scenes don't add to the film and are against the directors approval, the production company simply add them so they can plaster things like "SUPER EXPLOSIVE EXTENDED EDITION CONTAINING NEVER BEFORE SEEN EXPLOSIONS!" on the front of the box in massive writing to sell the film to people who might otherwise not have been that bothered about watching it again.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 03-07-2012, 09:08.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post

Speaking of

Predator 2?

SPOILER

They already exist, it's just the chain of events in Prometheus that lead to that particular Alien coming about. They can be seen in murals in the ship showing its a pre-existing species. From what I can gather Ridley Scott only considers Alien 1-4 to be canon so Predator 2 no longer fits in events

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
          SPOILER

They already exist, it's just the chain of events in Prometheus that lead to that particular Alien coming about. They can be seen in murals in the ship showing its a pre-existing species. From what I can gather Ridley Scott only considers Alien 1-4 to be canon so Predator 2 no longer fits in events
          Ah I must have missed that bit in the film .... As you say I don't expect

Predator 2 to be canon

either but it was a nice addition

at the end of the film for all those wanting AVP, or some sort of evidence that it was set in the same universe.

Comment

I belive the Alien skull in Pedator 2 was a nod to the dark horse comics 3 part AVP mini series that was released under their 'Dark Horse presents' banner, which is where the theme of alien vs predator first took place.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 03-07-2012, 11:41.

Comment

Listening to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast atm and Novella is absolutely ripping Prometheus apart.

Weekly science podcast produced by the SGU Productions llc. Also provides blogs, forums, videos and resources.

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
              and a have a mapping expert who has no idea where he is going?
              That part really makes no sense. He maps the entire area as soon as he enters the ship then has no idea where to go? bizarre.

Comment

The surgery sequence recreated. 100% accurate.

[HIDE][/HIDE]

Comment

eventually got to see it even though i wanted to see it in IMAX

Anyway can people explain the following

we all know that face huggers emplant embryo's inside the stomach for it to eventually become a chest buster, but how the hell did the queen alien actually come to be, i know that the thing that came out of shaw's stomach eventually fell on and killed the engineer, but is it trying to say that they mated or it implanted something in him and that became the queen alien

Comment

A wizard did it.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                      eventually got to see it even though i wanted to see it in IMAX

Anyway can people explain the following

we all know that face huggers emplant embryo's inside the stomach for it to eventually become a chest buster, but how the hell did the queen alien actually come to be, i know that the thing that came out of shaw's stomach eventually fell on and killed the engineer, but is it trying to say that they mated or it implanted something in him and that became the queen alien
                      I don't think the xnenomorphs in Alien are descended from the creature seen near the end of Prometheus. I would think the oriigins of the Queen will have been saved for the follow up.

Comment

The

xenomorphs are seen in a plaque that's over 1000 years old so we can be sure that they existed long before the movie takes place. So the queen didn't descend from what we see at the end.

I stick by the wizard story though. It's the only way I can answer why anybody did anything in that movie.

Comment

i get what you are saying but to me it looked like a retro queen, you know how they like to reverse engineer movies so things look older than they should, plus the head was similar, maybe the xenomorphs in the movies arnt the ones we see in the ship and has been mentioned before actually cousins to the egg/chest buster/xenomorphs we know and love today

cant wait to see how they tie the engineer ship crashing on LV422 (think thats right) with the first movie, i can see writers heads exploding

Comment

but how did it come to be, wasnt exactly explained how it burst from the engineer or how he ended up with it inside him

Comment

I know it's really not the answer you want but I honestly think the most accurate answer I can give is simply poor writing. You're right, it wasn't explained and, unlike the xenomorph, the evolution here seemed to have no logic to it whatsoever and the black goo did different things depending on the needs of the scene. I suspect the ending and

xenomorph moment was really just poorly placed fan service.

It doesn't really feel connected to the rest of the movie.

You never know, with a bit of luck some clever writer may be able to retrofit some sense to it all in a sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                                i get what you are saying but to me it looked like a retro queen, you know how they like to reverse engineer movies so things look older than they should, plus the head was similar, maybe the xenomorphs in the movies arnt the ones we see in the ship and has been mentioned before actually cousins to the egg/chest buster/xenomorphs we know and love today

cant wait to see how they tie the engineer ship crashing on LV422 (think thats right) with the first movie, i can see writers heads exploding
                                Also take into account this is Ridley Scotts vision and he probably doesn't include Camerons Aliens in his mythos, i feel Prometheus is linked to Alien and only Alien. What happened in the other movies isn't canon in Scotts mind imo.

Also the Queen was Camerons design not Giegers, so maybe Scott or Gieger had a different idea how the Alien got to where it was.

Cameron in Aliens really put forward the idea that the Xenos were a hive with a queen and drones where as i don't think Scott or Gieger ever envisioned that as how the life cycle worked.

Comment

Working...
                                X