No announcement yet.

Star Wars Episode 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By far the worst thing about this film was saving the real villain until the end credits.

George Osborne got a "Special Thanks".

Comment

Spoilers don't work on the mobile browser [MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION].

Comment

I saw this on Saturday and loved it - like some others I was quite emotional at some parts!

[The new characters are excellent, and I'm really interested to see where they take the story. As others have said, the story is very similar to the first film - to be honest I think that was probably a wise choice. It's really the sequel to the original trilogy that I personally always wanted, and the retread of the first story helped to re-establish the franchise and cement the new characters into the existing universe well for me.

Even if - yes - having some plans hidden in a droid and a great big Death Star to destroy was p'raps a bit TOO close to home. It was kind of weird really how the giant planet with the weapon in it felt like it wasn't a huge part of the story. That was the impression I got anyway - it felt positively sidelined compared to the Death Star run in the original film. It was still good, it just felt like maybe they had too much going on and didn't really need another Death Star.

Overall, I thought it was superb. They had a very difficult task on their hands - too different and fans would have cried foul, but too similar and as, we're seeing, people are disappointed that it's 'too much of a retread'. They're not necessarily wrong - it clearly is in many respects - but in response to that my feeling is one of relief that at least this isn't a reboot. I'd much rather an episode VII that covers some of the same sort of ground as IV, than a reboot of the original trilogy and an actual remake of the events of IV.

I think they've set themselves up well for some exciting new stuff in VIII and IX.

Comment

Yup. My wish from here, and I'm not sure it will be granted, is that they move forward not backwards. I don't need to revisit more classic stuff or even classic characters (even from the good movies). I want to see where all these new characters go from here.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            Spoilers don't work on the mobile browser [MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION].
            Ooops. I'll see what I can do

Comment

Another great thing about the film for me:

I thought it really helped to establish that sense of a wider galaxy of mystery and magic that the prequels managed to sideline. In the preqels, Lucas seemed to have a fixation with explaining absolutely everything in excruciating detail. The Force? Just midichlorians - count em up and there's your Force Power rating. What are Stormtroopers? They're all this one bloke - look here they are making clones of him.

It felt pointless and took away from the allure of the universe for me. In VII they managed to pull that back, with weird aliens and ways of life that were intriguing but remained unexplained and without detail - a great opportunity to use your imagination to fill in the gaps.

Comment

Loving the new mobile spoilers! Finally every thread will be safe

Comment

Despite running into THE spoiler thanks to some idiot on Facebook, I enjoyed it.

Having Ben unmask himself in front of Ray was a silly idea, it would have been better to have saved that for when Han confronted him.

Had that "this is how the first movie goes, and we'll tease what might happen in the next" feeling to it.

Comment

^ Having seen it a second time now, that point I will agree with, it should have been saved for then.
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by BaronSqwelch View Post
                      Loving the new mobile spoilers! Finally every thread will be safe
                      Next I "just" need a to figure out a way of integrating the Likes feature into the mobile style....

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                        Had that "this is how the first movie goes, and we'll tease what might happen in the next" feeling to it.
                        Agreed. Work mate pointed that out as well. Odd choice. I guess it worked for the Rey scene?
                        Last edited by danholo; 23-12-2015, 06:09.

Comment

Loved it! I stayed away from SW news after seeing the first trailer and luckily nothing was spoiled for me. It was a lot funnier than I thought it would be, too.

Unlike some of you guys, I was dying for a hyped-up audience. Cinema audiences in Japan are completely silent and it's so annoying. Unfortunately the audience for this was completely dead as well. I'll assume they were still feeling burned by the prequels.

I want to see it again(not least because we left during the credits!) because I was still jet lagged and kept nodding off during the important scenes.

My dad and I thought that single 3D shot of the Star Destroyer was brilliant.

Comment

I've seen Episode 7 twice now first in 2D and then in 3D. I would recommend the 3D presentation to anyone yet to see the film. Can't wait for the 3D Blu-Ray now.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                              Loved it! I stayed away from SW news after seeing the first trailer and luckily nothing was spoiled for me. It was a lot funnier than I thought it would be, too.

Unlike some of you guys, I was dying for a hyped-up audience. Cinema audiences in Japan are completely silent and it's so annoying. Unfortunately the audience for this was completely dead as well. I'll assume they were still feeling burned by the prequels.

I want to see it again(not least because we left during the credits!) because I was still jet lagged and kept nodding off during the important scenes.

My dad and I thought that single 3D shot of the Star Destroyer was brilliant.
                              Isn't silence considered a good thing in japanese cinema?

Comment

I thought the 3D presentation was good too - that shot of the Star Destroyer was excellent as randombs mentions. Some good uses of the additional 3D depth throughout, actually.

Comment

Working...
                                X