No announcement yet.

Star Wars Episode 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to decide if "The c*** awakens" or "the force erections" is the better tribute pron name.

Z95 were made for atmosphere only battles and I imagine look like the new x-wings but the wings don't split. Hell, I don't even know if they exist in the universe anymore.

Comment

Ah okay. One thing conveniently ignored by all Star Wars movies is what it takes to escape a planet's gravity. And it's easy to see how the Falcon could fly in space but not so easy in an atmosphere. Never bothered me but definitely something I thought of as a kid.

But I think one of the real success factors of Star Wars is it being fantasy rather than science fiction. Gets straight to the adventure without worrying about that sort of thing.

Comment

Cracking return to form for the series. Can't fault anything and would not hesitate to watch again. Great 10/10

Comment

Well even though I'm seeing it in IMAX on Tuesday my daughter (who is 5) asked to see it so I took her and my father in law to the vue this evening, firstly daughter completely disliked it probably because the movies princess wasn't dressed like a Disney princess and this will be the first movie I've seen at the cinema more than once since return of the Jedi, anyway

rey must be sky walkers daughter, Kylo was just terrible, I enjoyed him with his mask on and he was quite menacing but they shouldn't have got him to take his mask off because for me that's a massive mistake and an untrained 'jedi' bested him so pish. I read prior to this Im sure that Finn was lando's boy and his mum was also leia - another with the force, but that might be complete rubbish

Last edited by buster_broon; 27-12-2015, 22:15.

Comment

I should also add...

I agree with the sentiment expressed by others - showing Kylo's face was a mistake.

This is pretty basic film-making (and strange, from JJ Abrams following the cock-tease-fest that was Lost), but a masked villain's mystique is a delicate thing that is broken when the mask is removed. No matter how fearsome he looks under the mask, the image in the mind of the viewer will always be more terrifying.

Even if he needed to show his face to Han, I would've had him do it with his back to the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Ah okay. One thing conveniently ignored by all Star Wars movies is what it takes to escape a planet's gravity. And it's easy to see how the Falcon could fly in space but not so easy in an atmosphere. Never bothered me but definitely something I thought of as a kid.

But I think one of the real success factors of Star Wars is it being fantasy rather than science fiction. Gets straight to the adventure without worrying about that sort of thing.
              The "floatiness" of things was explained as "replusor-lift drives" in the books. The X-Wing novels always talked about fuel consumption being far greater in atmospheres. There was a little more scientific thinking there than the movies. But I guess that is part of the magic - don't explain anything (and where Star Trek's technobabble destroyed it all).

Comment

Given the history of the director when it comes to teasing things and then having godawful reveals that don't pay off, I'm very glad that

there was no messing about with who Kylo Ren was. Can't see what have been gained by not showing his face other than bringing on the feeling that he is just repeating Vader all over again. Whereas for me he achieved something entirely different with his character by revealing his basic humanity and conflict right up front. Made him way more interesting for me.

Comment

I'm thinking it seems a very yin-yang situation, kylo fighting the temptation of the light side and Rey having a bit of pent up anger/darker side

Comment

having a wee read at Wikipedia yesterday

do you think that the creative writers have taken the story of han solo's twins (Jania/Jacen) and kinda twisted it to their own needs, considering Han's son is called Ben, which was Skywalkers Son's name in books etc - apparently Jacen becomes Darth Caedus and dies at the hands of his sister, just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Given the history of the director when it comes to teasing things and then having godawful reveals that don't pay off, I'm very glad that

there was no messing about with who Kylo Ren was. Can't see what have been gained by not showing his face other than bringing on the feeling that he is just repeating Vader all over again. Whereas for me he achieved something entirely different with his character by revealing his basic humanity and conflict right up front. Made him way more interesting for me.
                      I agree, although I think it should have been left until the bridge section, and not Rey's interrogation.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Unmasking Star Wars villains has a long history of evoking different emotions, particularly in Knights of the Old Republic. I suspect Kylo's unmasking was an attempt to show his vulnerabilities and human weakness, given the response its had it was successful. Kylo isn't the ultimate bad ass like Vader, he's weak/unsure and I suspect this will be explored more in the sequels and will lead to a redemption story, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he does a full 180 degree from antagonist to protagonist for Episode IX.

Comment

Saw it today, really enjoyed it... although weakest parts for me were the introduction of Han/Chewie (felt very contrived and kind of shoehorned in) and some of the dialogue - it was particularly grating during a late stage resistance strategy/briefing session. They settled on a plan after 2 minutes light hearted chat, Poe Dameron summarised it in an even more dumbed down idiots version, then they were all like "let's go!" right there and then. It didn't really convey the feeling that this was a well organised resistance effort.

Comment

Yeah, there's got to be an oscillator!

All in all I've seen this 4 times already. Loved it every time. I think I need a break now, however. There's a certain magic in this movie that I can't pinpoint but I keep coming back. I might go again in a few weeks if I feel like a dose of Star Wars!

Comment

I do enjoy Flynn's dialogue and noob nonsense though, like telling Han to use the force

Comment

great action, set pieces, thrills.

However I was expecting SOME originality, could've almost been a friggin reboot, cannot believe how much was just lifted and shifted.

And come on,

a fully trained jedi that's been way OP the entire movie even breaking a sweat against Rey and even worse Fin? The duel was rubbish ; only shoehorned in for there to be a lightsaber duel & spoiled it for me

Qui-Gon/Obi Wan duel v Darth Maul is still the champ by a country mile.
                                Apart from that I enjoyed it for what it was and look forward to the sequels & hopefully

Luke kicking mega arse Jedi stylee

My kids loved it & didn't overthink it like me.

Comment

Working...
                                X