No announcement yet.

Star Wars Episode 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching between a sweaty Mark Hamill looking like he's about to have a heart attack and a CG version of him that looks lifted stright from Battlefront. Sounds thrilling!

Comment

I think everyone is

assuming Kylo Ren is a bad ass just because of the mask and cool light saber. It seemed pretty clear to me that he is also very rough around the edges, still young and probably didn't complete his training before turning. Remember the dark side is supposed to be the quick and easy path to power, which would explain how he has such strength in the force. It wouldn't mean he'd automatically be an expert with the light saber.

Also, I think Rey is supposed to be extremely powerful naturally. Let's face it, Kylo Ren would have had no competition ever, until that point.

I really did enjoy the duels in this. Look at Darth Vader vs. Obi Wan in Ep. IV - the actors barely moved. yet that duel was infinitely better than all the prequel somersaulting and backflips. Best duel ever is still Luke vs. Darth in RotJ and this had shades of that I felt.

I read some of the IMDb reviews and I honestly don't connect with what most people are complaining about. At worst it was bad acting (the rom com general) and poor dialogue (the aforementioned dumbing down) but the OT had the same issues. Lucas' dialogue was too po-faced, this is the opposite.

I'd also like to think

that Luke will kick ass mega Jedi-style

through use of the force, not acrobatics - the way Yoda *should* have done in the prequels. In my mind Yoda wouldn't even need a light saber, he could just swat attackers aside with the force as he stood there. Would have been a lot more dignified and consistent with the character than what Lucas did.
      Last edited by Darwock; 29-12-2015, 21:30.

Comment

Yep, I completely agree with your reading on that character.

Comment

Saw it for a second time at the IMAX today

First thing I can saw is the falcon sequences especially on jakku are incredible in IMAX - you certainly feel as if you are there in the cockpit

aye I now have a different take on Kylo ren, I agree the unmasking is to humanise him and he is still quite the apprentice and this is shown with his temper outbursts if he doesn't get his way but even his master says that dealing with his dad will be his biggest test yet and that he passes and I'm sure that's why he is moved into his next stage of training, but for me he isn't a menacing character whatsoever either thats the character, the way it's acted or even his costume

Comment

Also back from a second viewing, some of the action scenes are the best of all star wars movies important, probably the best sabre battles, the x-wing attacks and that falcon jakku escape are incred.

Han and Leahs first exchange needs deleting

Comment

#LeiaShotFirst

Comment

THE DELETED SCENES OF STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS

Interesting stuff for fans of Star Wars.

Comment

Saw it again tonight and loved it more this time. Things I thought might bother me from my first viewing didn't and other stuff felt even better. My wife (her first viewing) shouted NOOOOO at the top of her lungs at a particularly dramatic moment. It really has done justice to Star Wars in my opinion and, while time is needed to be certain, I feel right now like it is up there with the first two movies and is much, much better than Return of the Jedi.

Only things I'd like to have seen were

1) Some context on the Republic system. That scene where the planets blew up should have been a big deal but wasn't. 2) Phasma offering even a bit of resistance and 3) Chewie getting a hug at the end. I hadn't even noticed that the first time and someone here pointed it out. Now Chewie not getting his hug is the new Chewie not getting his medal.

Anyone notice C3PO's arm was gold again in his last shot? Possibly in that list of deleted scenes above (will go read now).

One thought that I had this time around is that I would prefer it if Rey turns out to be a nobody. I think she's a Skywalker and it feels pretty obvious but I'd now rather she wasn't. Maz gave this lovely inclusive speech about the Force when talking to her and it just being a Skywalker family thing rather than something open to others felt like it might not be such a nice thing. Also the whole idea of the lightsaber calling to her is completely new, tying into the name of the movie of course and explaining how her powers can develop differently - the Force is taking an active role. Really hoping that continues without the word midichlorians ever being said out loud ever again.

Like I had for this one, I have nervousness about where the story will go from here. But it doesn't matter. On its own, this movie is a great Star Wars movie and I am very happy it was made and made really well.

Edit: Oh, and Lucas calls Disney "white slavers" in this interview. '“I sold them to the white slavers that takes these things, and…,” Lucas said before laughing and deciding it better not to finish.' http://variety.com/2015/film/news/st...rs-1201669959/
                  Last edited by Dogg Thang; 30-12-2015, 23:55.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed it but i found it super predictable and was a tad disappointed that it stuck too close to A New Hope which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Amazing action sequences and i love the two new young actors playing Rey & Finn.

The one area that did disappoint for me was the lightsabre battles which wern't a patch on some of the ones in the prequel trilogy especially the Anakin vs Obi Wan duel in Revenge Of The Sith.

Comment

I much preferred the lightsaber battles in this one, well mostly the snow one. The original trilogies where usually very stilted affairs for really no real reason and the prequels bordered on cartoons with the embarrassing somersaults everywhere. In Force Awakens each swing is delivered in a way that there feels like there's weight and impact behind it.

As for Lucas, I read that update from him. At times you feel like he gets too bad a rep but then he goes and reminds you what a prat he's become. In order to get a quick sale he clearly undervalued the company and is bitter about them abandoning his outline for Eps 7-9 which based on what has been revealed sounded like another misstep. It must be heart aching to create something so successful and yet be held responsible for its perceived downturn, then seeing it blossom with the new owners, but he brought that on himself. Disney hasn't done anything shocking with it, they've merely delivered what fans wanted and what he himself delivered at the franchises peak. He comes across as a bitter man, one that realistically the industry has left behind

Comment

Yep. I can't deny the impact of seeing that fight with Darth Maul in TPM. We had never seen Jedi do that and it did astound me at the time. But I found there was a law of massively diminishing returns that kicked in and the over-choreographed thing lost me really quickly and then died a death the second Yoda got going in Attack of the Clones. While the Vader/Obi-Wan fight in ANH is so slow and stilted, I found myself far preferring the lightsaber battles in Empire and Return of the Jedi post-prequels.

And this one in The Force Awakens brought something different entirely and I am so glad they did. Actually, on second viewing, some of the complaints I have seen from other people about that didn't seem to hold water at all.

Finn was trained from a very young age and it is very clear Stormtroopers were trained and equipped to go up against lightsabers. Rey has a whole other thing going on because the Force itself seems to be doing its thing with her and yet she fights in a believably messy and unskilled style. While Kylo Ren, training very much incomplete and volatile at the best of times, is going through a massive emotional trauma and is clearly hugely distracted by a nasty bleeding wound. He wants a fight and he gets a sloppy one. Not one part of that feels wrong to me in the movie.

On a related note, I ended up on a Star Wars message board the other day and nearly severed my optic nerves from rolling my eyes so much. The nerd rage is utterly ridiculous, especially when it comes from prequel rubbish. Whatever happens next with Star Wars, I really hope the team make the movies they think will work based on this one and pay absolutely no attention to the nerds, me included.

Comment

I'm going back tomorrow, didn't think that would happen.

I went 2D the first time, so I want to catch it in 3D now I can concern myself with the spectacle and not so much the story.

Comment

That's what makes Rogue One so interesting, it can't retell storylines from the existing films and is already completely filmed so won't be influenced by the responses to VII. Though despite some corners complaining about stuff I'd imagine the $$$ will make Disney stick firm to their plans for VIII and IX

Comment

Just want to point something out that someone mentioned to me, which I'd never realised.

To those who...

... complain about Rey being able to hold her own against Kylo Ren, bear in mind that Luke is never taught (onscreen) how to use a Lightsaber before fighting Vader in Empire Strikes Back.

Luke's only training is using the Lightsaber to fight the drone inside the Millennium Falcon in A New Hope. Yoda may have taught him something, but we don't see that, and it's suggested Yoda's teachings were more about the Force and less about combat.

Rey, on the other hand, kicks the crap out of people with a staff early in The Force Awakens, meaning that she's arguably set up as more competent with melee weapons than Luke was.

The suggestion is that Luke (and Rey's) abilities with the Lightsaber are less about being trained in a fighting style (like Darth Maul) and more about seeing moments into the future to predict their opponents' actions, in addition to peak physical fitness.

Comment

So went to my second viewing with my parents...an interesting experience indeed!

My stepdad's a Star Wars fan, my mum has seen episode IV (stepdad has tried to get her to watch the others too) but my mum isn't a fan of action unless it has James Bond taking his top off! Not a fan of sci-fi at all, really wanted to take my stepdad to see it so she insisted she came along to watch "the film with dusty bin (R2-D2) and the big dog (chewie) in it"

Well I enjoied it as much, even more on a second showing.

Stepdad was a bit disappointed (he likes to have the different opinion so likely to say something with impact but overall I think he wanted to see more of the original cast than the new characters).

Thought you guys would like to hear the fun and games of my mum's opinion of the film. Warning, by no means to offend any fan at all or any one with the terms she used but it was hard to keep a straight face when she chatted away in the car on the way home

Bored the first half hour with no idea what was going on but started to like it. Overall entertained.
                                "Glad dusty bin/ dust bin robot (R2-D2) came back to life, I like the tin man, think he's *gay*."
                                "Why do all the women have dutch hairstyles/ hair? They look stupid"
                                "Why did that thing have those things over her eyes"
                                Calls Rey Catniss aberdeen from Hunger Games (insists its the same actress)
                                Loved the lightsabre battle, wished the whole film was that.
                                Hollogram giant/ gollom was stupid, hopes he blew up on the death planet
                                "Was the dog man/ monkey man, Schumacher (chewie) a real person or a puppet?"
                                "Why did Rey say the millennium falcon was just junk, i think it was the most powerful/ best ship in the galaxy!?!"
                                (every female character) "is that Princess Leia?" (when I confirmed who it was) "She looks nothing like her"
                                *later* "Do you know, this film must have been set a along time after the last one cause Leia looked so old."
                                "Why did luke look so bloody sad when he got his magic torch back? Was he about to jump off that cliff?"
                                "WHY IS SPACE SO LOUD?" (even though I swear she's going deaf, she always complains cinema is too loud)
                                Liked bowling-ball-bot

Chewbacca/ schumacher discussion was worth the madness.

Mum's over-all verdict - Less space battles, more lightsabres and romance and she would see another. She coped/ enjoyied it more than she expected but not a fan. She behaved better than I thought but I won't be in a rush to take her again lol! Says she was bored but has not stopped talking about it since we left...

I love my mum so much but she is a nightmare to watch films with!!!
                                Last edited by Blobcat; 31-12-2015, 17:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X