No announcement yet.

Star Wars Episode 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was also a section ripped from Star Trek III - The search for spock which i spotted

Comment

Yep, the lifts are many and constant from start to finish. Though again, they don't stop the film being great fun throughout. They do make Rogue One possibly the most interesting of the new films though as it possibly makes that one the first of this new wave which presumably won't use the old films as a narrative crutch and will give us the first real indicator of where the story telling will be going in these films. It's like it's a great Star Wars film but in many ways not a new one.

Comment

I didn't mind the direct lifts in terms of plot elements. Actually, I quited liked most of them. It was the little cameos of items and nods that began to bug me very quickly. There was no need for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          Incorrect, Obi-Wan merely lopped off Ponda Baba's arm in the cantina. The focus shot was on the arm to indicate to the audience (who obviously had no idea what "the force" could do, or what a "lightsaber" could achieve) that it could go through people. I somewhat know this because I met Peter Diamond, the film's main stunt co-ordinator (who was inside the Ponda Baba suit), in around 1999 and he demonstrated/talked about a few things from the film (including said cantina "stunt"), and went into a bit of detail about the duel at the end between Obi-Wan and Darth.
          I'm not really wanting to get in a huge debate over this and I'm not really a Huge Star Wars fan and its been a few years since I watched Star Wars 1977 . But all that seems to left of the 2 people that start the fight, all that's left is an a arm and other than a bit of screaming and Luke being thrown back I don't recall a stunt at all .

Also it wouldn't be a 1st time staff overplay or disagree with the film makers; I mean Rutger Hauer does not agree with Scott on Deckard being a replicant

Comment

TA, you're simply wrong on that in what is a very basic point. Nothing implies anyone vanished there, no more than any other characters vanish when we cut away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              I'm not really wanting to get in a huge debate over this and I'm not really a Huge Star Wars fan and its been a few years since I watched Star Wars 1977 . But all that seems to left of the 2 people that start the fight, all that's left is an a arm and other than a bit of screaming and Luke being thrown back I don't recall a stunt at all .

Also it wouldn't be a 1st time staff overplay or disagree with the film makers; I mean Rutger Hauer does not agree with Scott on Deckard being a replicant
              You are being a very silly boy with all this talk of lightsabres making things vanish.... ;-)

this is the scene from empire strike back with the song hide n seek which now very famous on youtube.enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                A massive number of people have said that it bears significant similarities to IV - are they all wrong and have no case?
                No, but i do think people are over exaggerating this. I just think people, not necessarily here, like moaning about star wars and this was inevitable. Perhaps years of crap output has left a negative mindset in place. Make a film too different and expect to get panned because it didn't feel enough like star wars(which for the producers is a worse prospect), make something which is similar and get panned for being a rehash etc.

Luckily its score is generally very good suggesting people do like the film.

I'm not sure what the point about droids is supposed to prove? Nobody has claimed that it doesn't fit in with the logistics of the SW universe. In both IV and VII, however, the central conceit of the opening half hour is that important information is stored in a lovable droid, who serves to drag a no-mark Jedi-in-waiting into a bigger affair. That's where the familiarity lies
                The point is they are the most common thing in star wars, its really no different to a movie having a plot which starts with a mysterious letter etc. I understand its similar though...obviously our tolerance is different, but then i'm the kind of person who doesn't let movie cliche's ruin my enjoyment of something.

I'm not going over every similarity bit by bit because it sucks all the joy out of remembering the film, and turns it into a tedious memory test.
                Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                  You are being a very silly boy with all this talk of lightsabres making things vanish.... ;-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vQZPT8qBlTo
                  That's in the sequel . In Star Wars 1977 it's a little different. Didn't Obi One talks about it and even 'disappears' himself after being struck in the 1977 version .

Comment

Well that was the mystery, until he turns up as a "force ghost" in ESB and subsequently "explained away" by Yoda in Revenge of the Sith about how it could be achieved. You look at Darth's reaction, he's like "where the **** has the old dude gone?!" when he cuts through Obi-Wan and treads on his robes to discover no one's still home. He wasn't expecting it, which implies people don't just normally disappear when you cut them with a lightsaber.
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

In just one day, I have developed prequel paranoia. If I see a force ghost of Hayden Christensen in any of these sequels, Star Wars will be dead to me all over again. I wonder what it would take to get an official statement from Disney that they will never refer to those movies ever again? I might need it for my psychological wellbeing.

Comment

Apparently the voice of Obi Wan briefly used in Force Awakens was indeed Ewan McGregor, so in a way the prequels snuck in already

Comment

DAMN THEM!

Comment

The more I think about the film the more I see in common with ANH, and the more I dislike it. I did like a lot of what was achieved, however.

I hope the sequel deviates and becomes its own thing entirely.
                            Last edited by dataDave; 21-12-2015, 03:03.

Comment

I enjoyed it, masses of cheese and rehashed ideas but still very good.
                              The first order General (Hux?) was absolutely awful though IMO...like an amateur actor chewing his way through acres of scenery!

First film I've seen in a while where the crowd were perfectly silent too, very refreshing!

Comment

This film has brought me out of Cinema retirement - having my first ever 3D IMAX experience whilst watching it, made the film absolutely incredible! I have never been to a release day, mid night showing before, but going to see Star Wars The Force Awakens, made it extra special...

Previously, I had only seen the 20th anniversary Star Wars A New Hope, when it was digitally remastered for the cinema with extra scenes back in 1997.

I don't think I have seen a film that has made me think 'YEP, I really enjoyed that' when leaving the theatre, in a very long time...

I would say 9/10, with it only being let down for me when

the main antagonist in the movie 'revealed' himself to the audience... The word underwhelmed is an understatement...

But other than that I liked everything else about it, I could watch it again!

Comment

Working...
                                X