Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
    Just watched Edge of Tomorrow. Really cool! My favourite film this year.
    Yeah, me too, Boris. Thanks for the suggestion. It's a great film. Plenty of action, things to think about and a bit of humour too.

It's one of the few films that are better than the book too, IMHO.

It got us talking about other time travel stories like Looper, Replay, Source Code and Primer on the way home.

We started discussing the end of Edge of Tomorrow, but got a little confused. I think they cut a few corners to get the resolution they wanted, but still a great film!

The 3D added very little to this, same as most films. The only exception recently was the Quicksilver sequence in X-Men and the whole of Spider-Man 2, which was actually felt like they'd thought about how to use it throughout and not just in the action sequences.

Comment

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
      As I expected I found the psychic powers nonsense unnecessary, spoiled it a bit but I loved the 'zombified' Jason. Some cool shots of him in action.

Comment

Watched moonrise kingdom on Saturday eve, love Wes Andersons stuff and this didn't disappoint, the films about two kids that run away together and the chaos that ensues. its set on a fictional small island community in the 60s. Bill Murry plays the father of the estranged girl, while Edward Norton plays a scout master who has lost one of this troop, The community coming together to find these two kids is really well played out and the kids journey is quite an innocent and heart warming story, The whole cast is great but i loved how scouts come across as a bit lord of the fly's in there pursuit of the two children.

it also has Bruce Willis as a small island cop who is helping to find the kids too and he plays this role brilliantly, really enjoyed it as its quirky well written and a really good watch, if your not a fan of his stuff there's nothing new here to convince you otherwise though as its a very Wes Anderson film.

Short clip of bill Murry introducing the cast on set.

Comment

22 jump street

More of the same dumb plot and stupid laughs, not as good as the first but not far off. Me, my mate and the rest of the cinema were in stitches! Its a lot more tongue in cheek with plenty of references to the fact its a sequel and cashing in, budget expense and over spending etc During the end credits theres additional jokes too.

Expect loads of teenagers to buy cheap colourful sunglasses and be throwing them away on the beach (and picking them up again so they can do it later)

Comment

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
            Several shades of bad this one, probably the weakest appearance of Jason coupled with no real utilisation of the fact its outside of Crystal Lake (which the making of acknowledges), Jason can apparently teleport at this point which kills his appeal massively. Just doesn't really work and it's easy to see why the series started to struggle with audiences from here.

Comment

Watched edge of tomorrow last night and another who enjoyed it

Loads of action, loads of Emily wielding a sword that looks like the buster sword, few jokes and a decent sci fi romp with a couple of twists on the way

A modern day sci if Groundhog Day is probably the best way to describe it

Comment

Watched Wolf of Wall Street last night, really enjoyed it, bit long though, could have been half an hour shorter.
                Lovely female lead, which always helps.

Comment

Friday the 13th Part IX: Jason Goes to Hell - The Final Friday
                  Quite literally goes to hell. Once again you can't work out what the makers were thinking. Jason begins to stray into parody in the intro and then is absent until the finale as his 'spirit' possesses a string of bad impersonators.

Comment

The Lego Movie
                    Works better second time around when you have a better understanding of what it's all leading up to and it doesn't seem quite as random. Lovely film.

The House at the End of the Street
                    The Jennifer Lawrence horror if you'd call it that, more a kind of badly made thriller. Bored us to tears

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Friday the 13th Part IX: Jason Goes to Hell - The Final Friday
                      Quite literally goes to hell. Once again you can't work out what the makers were thinking. Jason begins to stray into parody in the intro and then is absent until the finale as his 'spirit' possesses a string of bad impersonators.
                      This movie is terrible on so many levels but what is baffling to me is how it even happened. New Line got the rights to use Jason for the first time and what do they do? Make a movie mostly without him, nothing like any Friday movie and label it the Final Friday as if they don't want to make any more. Why get the rights in the first place? It was such a strange choice but then it was just a couple of years after the atrocious Freddy's Dead so it wasn't a good time for New Line generally.

Comment

Yeah I loved the 'final' title coupled with the blatant Freddy VS set up. The series is so daft by this point its not so surprising Jason X came about

Comment

Watched Son of Batman.

Great story, some slick animation (really superb) but the art direction (new 52?) for the characters is too manga. I hate it.

Look at Batman's son.

What is going on????

Comment

We saw "Now You See Me", which has some real big-hitters in the cast:
                            Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, M?lanie Laurent, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco, Michael Caine, and Morgan Freeman.

It's an Ocean's Eleven-style "how-dunnit?" where a group of four magicians (Eisenberg, Harrelson, Fisher and Franco) are hired by a mystery benefactor to rob banks and then give the money to the audiences. Morgan Freeman is a magic debunker trying to work out how they did it so he can sell some DVDs revealing all the tricks and Ruffalo is an FBI agent tasked with tracking them and the money down.

It's an enjoyable romp with a great cast and you're whisked along at a fair old pace as people cross and double-cross each other, but there are a couple of long stretches in believability and you've really got to switch off from over-analysing it or it'll all fall apart.

I've also seen "Frozen" recently. Great film, very funny and deserves its success, but I can't get the chuffin' songs out of my head. Today it's "Love is an Open Door" is going round and round and round. I'm glad they re-wrote Olaf from being an acerbic wise-ass to comically-innocent as he really lightens what could've been a lot darker movie in tone.

I'm pretty sure the whole movie is a metaphor for coming out as a lesbian though...

I also saw "Wreck-it Ralph" and loved it. Obviously, it's packed full of references for us, but I liked the story too. I liked how Fix-it Felix was sound too, when he could've been a douche behind the scenes. I didn't guess where the story was going as it's pretty crazy, but liked most of the characters. Considering she's in a game full of sweets, I found Venelope quite Marmite and quite hard to like, but I was onboard with her when she felt so terribly betrayed. She flip-flopped from insulting to charity case a bit too much to invest wholesale in her. I liked Zangief's "Crushing skull like sparrow egg between thighs" speech! How could I not like Hero's Duty about futuristic soldiers blasting giant insects?!

I'm unhappy that the clash with Gene went unresolved as he was a tool throughout the movie. He drove Ralph away with his cliquey attitude and when he had a chance to apologise and appreciate Ralph's place within the game (and without him there is no game), he took the moral high ground and made out the game's demise was all Ralph's fault. If he'd been more welcoming and less elitist in the first place, it would never have happened. He deserved some kind of come-uppance, dammit!

It'll be interesting if either of these films get sequels as they were both penned by Jennifer Lee (W-i-R with Phil Johnston). Frozen is an absolute JUGGERNAUT of a movie (live-action remake is a possibility, Broadway musical is happening, Disney on Ice special and 5 hour meet and greet wait times at Disneyland), but where could you take the characters next?

Ralph is open to more sequel possibilities (closing arcade, new machine taking over, more game hopping, home consoles etc.) but with Lee busy with the Frozen Broadway musical and Brave getting more publicity after winning the Animated Feature Oscar, will it get the push needed? Who knows, but there are rumours.
                            Last edited by QualityChimp; 09-06-2014, 12:57.

Comment

They need to make it a Tron crossover.

Comment

Watched Adventureland last night because I was knackered on it was on TV. Syrupy, mediocre film that slots into the 'American Indie/film for angsty teenage boys who like smoking weed' genre neatly.

Not nearly as good as the guy's other effort, Superbad. I rewatched that not long ago and it holds up well for me, I find it pretty funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X