Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunger Games.

Never really appealed to me, but I thought sod it, why not.
    Both me and the missus really enjoyed it, it did have a slightly slow start but it makes up for it in the end.
    Great performance by Woody Harrelson too

Comment

Watched a few.

Muppets: Most Wanted **
      Weaker than the last movie. Worth going to see the Monsters University Portal-inspired short at the start.

300: Rise of an Empire ***
      Better than I expected it to be. Tells the story of the Persians. Eva Green is awesome in this.

Under The Skin *****
      Mesmerising. Film of the Year so far for me.

Comment

Watched Star Wars with my eldest girl today. It was great to see her enjoy it and yet sad for me in that my love for that movie is genuinely gone. It's like an old lover who betrayed me one too many times. Those feelings just aren't there even when you see where it all started from.

Comment

Just saw Grand Budapest Hotel or GBH as I prefer to call it. Twas a good larf, not lol funny but like most Wes Anderson films he has a way of making you chuckle throughout. I found myself nearly blowing a rasberry because I found William Dafoe hilarious right after

he bumps off Goldblum and has a look outside the exit

, I've no idea why I found that funny. Fiennes was perfectly cast and he is a joy to watch throughout, it was a lot ruder than the previous Anderson films I've, seen: Fantastic Mr Fox and the Royal Tannenbaums and what's his obsession with casting Indians? Or is it that Indians/Asians are so absent from Hollywood that I find it amazing I'm seeing one on screen?

Anyway a good larf overall, its not going to convert any non WA fans out there but its his most exquisitely picturesque movie yet yet most reined in, certainly in terms of complex and obscurity.

Comment

Waris Ahluwalia has been in three of his movies now and he's excellent every time, even in the Grand Budapest Hotel where his role was pretty much just a tiny cameo. He has a real intensity or depth in his face. You could be right that maybe it's noticeable because diversity still isn't all that common but Anderson's casting is so often brilliant so I'm glad he's doing it right.

Comment

hoodwinked if you can get over the cheap look of it all i actually enjoyed it thought it was funny and quite clever to

Comment

watched two movies last night but not a great night for the selection:

300 rise of an empire
                just not that good at all, I did enjoy the first 300 but this seemed lacking, action and fighting was alright but it just seemed to try too hard, eva was good like and nice boobs

the secret life of walter mitty
                the movie itself is charming with some nice moments but overall I found it boring considering he is a day dreamer there could have been some better sequences, the david bowie song in Iceland was pretty good though and found myself singing along

Comment

The Perks of Being A Wallflower - an excellent coming of age tale (outsider finally makes some friends; cue awkwardness & emotional upheaval) with smart acting & scripting that lifts it above similar fare. Fab soundtrack too.

Comment

In my quest to catch up on films i haven't seen ive just finished watching kick ass 2 and 47 Ronin.

Comment

Commando
                      Mine and the missus mission to work through the steelbook collection continued, I still don't think this is the ultimate Arnie flick as some fans do but I enjoyed it a lot more this time around. Some ace one liners but still loses it somewhat when he gears up for the finale.

Con Air
                      Less action in the first hour than I'd remembered but still a great watch

Seperately we then watched

Hunger Games
                      Trying to get the missus up to date with this series, we enjoyed it, it's far too padded for it's own good but watching it back reminded me of why I preferred the sequel.

Comment

Commando is a good larf but Predator and T2 are truly great films.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                          Gravity.

Great concept (I like the fact they've made space scary again in this), visuals were impressive I just think the casting was poor.

'hi I'm George Clooney and I play myself in every movie'

We were actually taking the piss watching that his entire crew had just been killed and he was trying to chat that bird up.

Really? that's what you'd be doing in that sort of situation?

They should have cast unknowns imo and it would have had a more powerful impact.
                          Should he have broken down crying hysterically like a little girl instead or what? He was a veteran astronaut, probably ex-air force or other military too. His character's role was to give courage to Bullock's character and help her survive and "chatting her up" was just one of the coping mechanisms of surviving and getting her to think other things in the deadly situation they were in.
                          Last edited by Guts; 25-03-2014, 08:37.

Comment

Under The Skin - One of the most interesting films I've seen lately. Very unique, haunting and actually quite scary in places. Try to see it in the cinema if you can, as the sound design is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                              Should he have broken down crying hysterically like a little girl instead or what? He was a veteran astronaut, probably ex-air force or other military too. His character's role was to give courage to Bullock's character and help her survive and "chatting her up" was just one of the coping mechanisms of surviving and getting her to think other things in the deadly situation they were in.
                              Gravity or as it should be called "a short film about heavy breathing and making stupid choices under pressure"

i found it quite poor and both my wife and i couldn't see what the fuss was about it was very over hyped i was expecting more than just sandra bullock panicking in space.

its like they had a limited budget so had to

kill off most of the cast in the first five minutes then kill of one of the big Hollywood stars as they couldn't afford them both. oh right your gonna drift off into space because at this moment in time the parachute wont hold you both but later on it cause's the escape pod to fling itself back at the ISS yeah well played guys, and its a parachute that should be strong enough to hold a big metal capsule too

but we will ignore than as its a movie and therefore not realistic in any way shape or form.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                                Gravity or as it should be called "a short film about heavy breathing and making stupid choices under pressure"

i found it quite poor and both my wife and i couldn't see what the fuss was about it was very over hyped i was expecting more than just sandra bullock panicking in space.

its like they had a limited budget so had to

kill off most of the cast in the first five minutes then kill of one of the big Hollywood stars as they couldn't afford them both. oh right your gonna drift off into space because at this moment in time the parachute wont hold you both but later on it cause's the escape pod to fling itself back at the ISS yeah well played guys, and its a parachute that should be strong enough to hold a big metal capsule too

but we will ignore than as its a movie and therefore not realistic in any way shape or form.
                                $100 million plus to make wasn't it?? Hardly an independent budget film!

Comment

Working...
                                X