This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder Woman

I watched this while ironing my shirts because not all heroes wear golden bird headbands.

Great film. I know Justice League is going to ruin the goodwill but that's next on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post

I know Justice League is going to ruin the goodwill but that's next on my list.
      Don't do it. Better using that time to watch something good instead.

Comment

But I like Batfleck! I'll ffwd through the boring bits like I did with Superman Returns recently.

Comment

But I like Batfleck! I'll ffwd through the boring bits like I did with Superman Returns recently.
          Was that a fun 7 minutes of viewing?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Actually, I ended up watching all of Superman Returns! Aside from the ridiculous costume colours(reminded me of Megadrive games), I rather enjoyed it. Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor was decent(krrrrrrrrryptonite!) and I liked that he had a kid.

MoS was Zoolander puddle scene in comparison:

Comment

I rather enjoyed it. Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor was decent(krrrrrrrrryptonite!) and I liked that he had a kid.
              You're right, you could never honestly say Kevin Spacey never had a kid...

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                You're right, you could never honestly say Kevin Spacey never had a kid...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Best end credits ever?

Comment

I didn't enjoy Superman Returns or Man of Steel. Full rants on the links.

I didn't like how SR skimmed over the whole absent father thing and MoS was full of more plot holes than a lump of Swiss cheese.
                    However, it was claimed at the time that I "completely misunderstood virtually every scene in Man of Steel" - rmoxon (2013), so what do I know?

Comment

Returns is a film I enjoy but it's mostly as a nodding cap to the Reeves films that it's a follow up to. It's flawed but in a canon where Superman IV exists I find it hard to be too harsh on Returns.

Man of Steel though, again not perfect but it's a good superhero film where the most commonly complained about issues are from online fanboys who've read the film wrong. Though you're post entertained me as a quite a few of your observations are right

Comment

I'm one of a tiny group who love Superman Returns. My one big negative is a poor Lois but I just about love everything else. For me, even with how close it is to the first two Reeve movies, it offers a view of Superman that I haven't seen before or since. One is the view from afar - the shots that really feel like this is what it would be like to live in a world with a Superman. The other is a view of the weird unsettled alienated alien side of Superman. What he is as an actual person rather than a persona. And he was a good Superman who saved people (and then was a somewhat weird stalker at night). I loved the villains and thought the secondary characters worked really well too, with how they made Cyclops a good guy being an unexpected and strong choice. I also felt it looked gorgeous.

By contrast, I felt Man of Steel was an utter pile of drivel. Looked godawful, terrible characterisation, Superman was a knob and saved nobody once he actually took on the name, the 7 hour fight was tiresome and the end had me rolling my eyes hard.

Comment

I thought Superman Returns was brilliant. Had a proper romantic, yester-world vibe too Only slight neg was something no film seems to nail and that's Lex Luthor. I thought Spacey was dire.

Comment

I think I agree that Returns is better than Steel.
                            Its only his selfish attitude towards Lois, her boyfriend and the son they're raising together that frustrates me.
                            I though Spacey was an underwhelming big bad, but so was the Facebook guy in Batman Vs Superman.

MoS was full of silly things that would me up every five minutes like Zod simulcasts onto every TV in the world and all the bulbs blow.
                            When he's finished speaking, normal service resumes and all the lights come back on again.

Comment

The thing Man of Steel stumbled most with was communicating the journey Clark was on, it should have been stronger in marking out that it was about Clark in his pre-Superman build up. He's effectively on a three movie arc and only becomes the Superman fans hold him up to be at the end of Justice League but the films don't handle that arc all that well being too keen to present him as Superman before that journey is complete. Him killing isn't that huge a deal, him dealing with what that means and coming to a no kill rule makes more sense than the boy scout image the character had previously. It's like the end fight, the amount of complaining about him levelling Metropolis and yet that doesn't happen in the film at all.

Meanwhile internet nerds watch Captain America remorselessly gun down a room full of bad guys and say 'this is how Superman should be'

Comment

And yet few needed to explain the intention of Captain America to show why it's an enjoyable movie. I think you're right - whatever was supposed to be going on in that movie just wasn't communicated in the actual movie. That's a pretty big fail for a movie for me. I watch the movie rather than the intention.

Comment

Working...
                                X