Official F1/Motorsport thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw this live this morning, and still cant quite believe it

he was a great character to root for, i thought he was going to go on and become one of the all time greats.

Comment

Sad day.

Comment

Don't know anything about Simocelli or MotoGP but what a shame. What on earth is going on this week!?

Comment

very sad day, he always came across as a really nice guy, always had time for interviews and very respectful to his fellow competitors...

RIP Marco Simoncelli

Comment

I've watched the crash a few times now, Rossi didn't clip him but he did get the full force of Edward's bike - what I can't make out is when his lid came off, and I do wonder that if it hadn't would the outcome have been different.

I don't think there's much that can be altered though, bike racing by its very nature is dangerous - that's the thrill, the riders know the risk and it would be a bigger shame to try and sanitise things because of this. Simoncelli wouldn't want that.

Edit: With that and on a way more positive note, the motorcycle movie "On Any Sunday" should be promoted. Bike racing is awesome and we should celebrate it, not wallow in depression.
            Last edited by MartyG; 23-10-2011, 21:37.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              bike racing by its very nature is dangerous - that's the thrill, the riders know the risk and it would be a bigger shame to try and sanitise things because of this. Simoncelli wouldn't want that.
              Very true.... i'm booking my Ron Haslam Race School course this morning as soon as the 2012 dates are released!!

Comment

I did that - it was great. Although a bit humbling when Ron went around the outside of me with someone on the back, and I'm on full throttle - he must have not bothered braking for the corner at all.... He was on a blade and I was on a 6.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  I did that - it was great. Although a bit humbling when Ron went around the outside of me with someone on the back, and I'm on full throttle - he must have not bothered braking for the corner at all.... He was on a blade and I was on a 6.
                  pillion passenger with Rocket Ron

booked it 1st May.. doing the premier 600 class

Comment

Brilliant weekend at the MotoGP in many ways - props to Danny Webb getting pole in the last ever 125 race, that's not a bad way to get into the history books, also to Cal Crutchlow for getting rookie of the year (although I was actually rooting for Abraham. Shhh....) and Pirro winning the race for Gresini was just amazing. Got a little choked up at the sight of Fausto losing it on the pit wall!

A weird sort of end to the MotoGP season in many ways. Stoner taking the piss as he has done all season. With Lorenzo getting banged up there's not really anyone near to him and the Honda partnership. Personally I was glad to see Bradl getting the Moto2 championship even if it would have been nice to have it go down to the wire. I reckon it should serve Marquez well for the future by not getting this one, and it's nice that the spoils of victory haven't gone to the richest team with the best of everything - more testing, preferred chassis', more money than they know what to do with etc...Score one for the little(r) team, and hats off to Bradl for just about keeping his head mid-to-late season when Marquez was on the charge and he was having various troubles, I think he deserves it for that period as much as for the blistering start to the season. Plus I believe there's a touch of justice for some generally 'enthusiastic' riding from Marquez through the year, culminating in that punt of Wilairot which was bang out of order. I can excuse a lot of it because of his youth and desire to go fast and win, but he's been borderline on a few occasions. Fingers crossed he'll be a wiser rider next season.

I'm normally a staunch defender of 125s but this season annoyed me as much as anything. Some brilliant racing, and amazing finishes, but that's guaranteed in 125s - what annoyed me was all the cat and mouse and play acting during breakaways. How many times did Terol, Vinales and Zarco sit up and wave each other through? I'd call it pathetic, but I'm sure they have their reasons and I couldn't ride a fraction as fast as they can so I'll just bite my tongue and enjoy the good bits. I'm hoping for a bit of a shake up with Moto3. If Terol had lost this year after being so good last year with more direct competition then he'd have needed a slap.

I still enjoyed the season though. Tragedy of Simoncelli notwithstanding. I'm a Stoner/Lorenzo fan though, if I were a Rossi fan then I might feel differently.

Comment

I must say I'm liking the honesty here from Hamilton.

Lewis Hamilton dismisses claims by McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh that his up-and-down form is being caused by pressure from Jenson Button.

Quite openly admitting that he's got too many off-track issues this year and it's *that* that is bringing him down.

A lesser man would find ways to blame other people. Good on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                        A lesser man would find ways to blame other people. Good on him.
                        Say, like Massa?

Comment

What the sweet heck was Maldonada doing?! You think he'd be more circumspect after getting a penalty for ignoring blue flags and then he does it again, only worse. Tool of the day by a mile. Difficult when you compete in a series with Lewis Hamilton.

Joking, LH had a good race today and was good value for the win. Shocking pit stop from Red Bull for Webber's stop.

Comment

Looks like Kimi Raikkonen is coming back to F1 next season with the Lotus Renault team (doen't look too favourable for Robert Kubica, sadly). Still, another world champion on the grid.

Comment

That makes six; is that a record?

Comment

I like Kimi but I'd be surprised if he was that competitive unless Renault spend a lot to improve their car.

Comment

Working...
                                X