Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just come back from Stratford where I've done my first ever Triathlon, and loved every second of it.

Shame it looks like Wolves are managing to spoil my day, but that's for another thread

Comment

Just been swimming for a bit. I have difficulty getting myself co-ordinated but I'm getting there. I used to be really good at it and while my head still knows the strokes, I can't get the breathing down well enough to do massively long swimming sessions. That and I can't do it slowly, if you get me? It doesn't work. Must. Swim. Quickly Just practice though, been taking the kids see so while the misses saves them from drowning, I'll go do fifty lengths or something until I can't swim anymore.

Down to a couple of days a week lifting weights, mostly upper body stuff. I'll spend a few hours there doing the whole lot 'cos I get loads of rest in-between, spend some time doing some (~30 minutes) CV to 'warm up' (rowing, bike). That's all right, right? Good

Comment

Just done a 20 mile bikeathon this morning for charity, it was 10 mile but you could go round twice, I was only going to do 10 mile but thanks to the rain it kept me cool so I went on another lap.

Did it in 1 hour and 45 minutes which I'm quiet pleased with, and there was a bit of traffic with the other bikes on the 2nd lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Selix View Post
          Just done a 20 mile bikeathon this morning for charity, it was 10 mile but you could go round twice, I was only going to do 10 mile but thanks to the rain it kept me cool so I went on another lap.
          Well done indeed! I haven't done anything particularly long on a cycle-bike for quite some time now. In Suffolk, there is a place called Alton Water; it has an 8 mile cycle path all the way around and managed to go around twice last summer but haven't done anything like that since unfortunately.

I did 5 miles yesterday in the pouring rain - it was drizzling for the first 10-15 minutes. I did alright but the moment I step indoors, I was suddenly short of breath and just didn't generally feet right. It kind of scared me for a moment as I haven't experienced that for a long time.

I blame the rain.

Comment

Just in from one hella rough 10-12 mile cycle. Drove north about 50 miles to just past Arrochar, and took our bikes out and just cycled for ages along this rough track. Up and down the whole way with some amazingly fast and bumpy hills! Totally knackered now.

Comment

Got MMA training tonight, not looking forward to it 'cos my shoulder's gonna take an absolute battering :/

Comment

Did a charity ride yesterday, which was hard work because of the weather. 130 miles, 19mph average.

Comment

Went to the track last night and started my 10k training. Did 7 reps of 800 in 3.00min with 1min 30 recovery. Wasn't that difficult and actually found it quite reassuring looking forward to getting out tonight and having a blast over 6miles.

Comment

Running scares me. Well done to you guys who can do it, and commit to training so much. Mucho discipline must be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Swallow View Post
                      Running scares me. Well done to you guys who can do it, and commit to training so much. Mucho discipline must be required.
                      The problem I have with running is that the effects are not as visible say as people that lift weights, ok so I look thin and have very musclely legs whereas nost of my mates just have musclely beer guts but unless you are running alongside me for a couple of hours it not as visible as those that go to the gym or maybe even the triathletes on here who in my exp tend to have a much better looking physique than just runners. I reckon thats why I like the track and races so much, its the chance you get to show off what you've got as it were. Doing a race in B'rum called race the basin soon which sounds fun, you predict your time for 6miles then run, its a handicap fastest goes last all timed to finish at the same time and the one closest to their predicted time wins, just to make it harder no-one is allowed to wear a watch!

Comment

So today I actually went running for the first time in like 4 years. I used to do it all the time but my CV now consists of cycling and sports and cross trainer/rowing machine at gym.

And my oh my I suck! I just cant do it. Done 2 miles run and it was more that my breathing couldn't keep up. I was just drained completely and my chest was really sore from it. Then I gave it 5 minutes to recouperate and went the same 2 mile cycle fast as possible easy peasy!

I guess I just need the practice. I will keep at it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                          I guess I just need the practice. I will keep at it though.
                          give it 3 times a week for 3 weeks and you will be faster than ever, dont underestimate the distance either 2 miles is far enough to require an effort by anybody

Comment

Right basically ive got a bit on the podgy side over the last few years and now is the time to get active.

I need advice on what type of equipment i should buy.

Im thinking a treadmill(are they any good?) - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/3354571.htm

Or are there better things out there?

I really am unfit and want to lose about 2 stone ish, all advice would be most greatful.

Comment

Del Boy, treadmills are a waste of time I'm afraid. No matter what the manufacturers may say, there is no substitute for a pair of shorts and some decent running shoes. They're also a hell of a lot cheaper!

My advice would be to invest in some nice trainers that are comfy, good quality and make you feel good (because that's half the battle won already). Personally I'm a New Balance kind of guy but any dedicated running shoe is better than a pair of generic trainers from JJB Sports.

If you don't feel able to run straight away, just do some long walks for a couple of weeks to build up to some slow jogging and so on. Just take it at a steady pace, regulate your breathing and don't go trying to beat any speed records!

Comment

Had a cracking 90 minute session in the gym. Absolutely battered now. Feels great

Comment

Working...
                                X