Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As both Herb & Chain have said you need to do Cardio to go with the ab work & dont overdo the Ab stuff either.

Just like any other muscle they respond to high intesity but not thousands of reps.

I normally 3 sets of 20 reps per excercise (Upper Abs, Lower Abs, Obliques)

As for Cardio do around 45 minutes as often as you like but probably at least twice a week, anything less is pointless as most studies show it takes at least 30 minutes to get into the fat burning zone.

I just do mine once a week (Not trying to cut fat at the mo as I'm on my bulking stage) on the Stationary bike or Cross Trainer...I cant run on a treadmill without looking like a dick so try not to do it, also to maximise the weight loss do the Cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach because the body is in it's fat burning stage after your sleep induced fast.

After that it's just watch your diet.

Neil

Comment

Ah the old "do cardio first thing in the morning" debate. No one really knows the answer to this. You've not eaten for a while so maybe you can tap in to fat stores more easily. Or maybe you're body just goes catabolic and eats the muscle for fuel instead.

I can see it either way. So not much help asking me

Comment

has anyone got any advice for stopping snacking btw? I seem to have grown a disturbing addiction to go ahead crispy slices recently. Not the worst thing in the world by any means, but im tyring to just shift the last bit of chub on my lower torso and i dont think theyre helping much.

I just get hungry far too often during the day, and reaching for the go aheads is slowly becoming a bad habit. >_<

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
          Ah the old "do cardio first thing in the morning" debate. No one really knows the answer to this. You've not eaten for a while so maybe you can tap in to fat stores more easily. Or maybe you're body just goes catabolic and eats the muscle for fuel instead.

I can see it either way. So not much help asking me
          Yep it's deffinitley one of "those" debates, most muscle magazines seem to stand by it & if it works it works all good.

I'm not really the best on Cardio stuff my main aim is to gain muscle rather than strip it at the moment so I do as little as I can physically get away with

Trying my hardest at the mo to bulk up, main aim for this year is to gain a stone in muscle (upto 11st)
          Currently pushing 10.5st so getting there slowly but then I've only just started back after a 6 month lay off following a foot operation which meant I couldnt train.

Have to say I'm really enjoying doing leg work at the mo...I like big legs hate having spindly little pins

Neil

Comment

From a cycling perspective, 'fasting' exercise is meant to burn fat, but only at an easy pace. Anything quicker supposedly eats into carbs instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jashin View Post
              From a cycling perspective, 'fasting' exercise is meant to burn fat, but only at an easy pace. Anything quicker supposedly eats into carbs instead.
              From a running perspective fasting itself isn't necessarily such a bad idea according to a senior BAF coah:

"Faster through fasting! It?s a physiological fact that man can go three weeks without food and live! He can only go three days without water before dying. And if he gets no oxygen for three minutes he will suffocate. The writer went eight weeks without food and lived, although a drip provided water and electrolytes, he also spent most of his time in bed. Now, there is a difference between fasting and starving. The first is for a fixed period, which might range from 24 hours to 72 hours, once a week. The second is surviving, or trying to survive on a thousand calories or less a day for months on end. The latter practice is dangerous and idiotic. Such a regime will cause muscles to waste as the body steadily digests them. You cannot run without muscles. It can also lead to death from a heart attack. But if you feel that you are grossly overweight for running, fasting can bring about spectacular results. A 24 hour fast usually results in the loss- of two pounds. A 5 day fast can result in a 10 pound reduction. No training should be done while fasting and pure orange juice should be drunk every three hours, as well as plenty of water. Some take a multi- vitamin tablet during a fast. Be wary after a fast not to engage in an orgy of gluttony."

available at http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach/fh01.php

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
                has anyone got any advice for stopping snacking btw? I seem to have grown a disturbing addiction to go ahead crispy slices recently. Not the worst thing in the world by any means, but im tyring to just shift the last bit of chub on my lower torso and i dont think theyre helping much.

I just get hungry far too often during the day, and reaching for the go aheads is slowly becoming a bad habit. >_<
                Protein bars, shakes instead? Maybe your meals either side of teh snakage aren't enough to keep you going also.

Comment

Sounds a bit radical! Cycling fasting usually means going out in the morning after not eating through the night, and drinking water or black, unsweetened coffee or tea only before the ride. It's essential to eat properly after the exercise as well. As I referred to earlier, heart rate must be kept quite low during the exercise for it to work.

Comment

Done anything today Chain?

I really didn't feel like it this morning but I got on my bike again today for the daily mini-commute. Not far but better than sitting in my car like I normally would.

Comment

2km row in 4.45, 10 minutes crosstrainer. Couple of light sets of leg presses (150kg). So not a lot, but a little. Diet is going very well, not cheating at all though I had to have some chopped nuts last night as all these protein shakes are churning my gut!

Somehow my weight has gone up though

It's really good having you around Ish, just a little friendly competition - I can't "cheat" and eat badly as I'll have you to answer to

Though Friday evening I'm still having my weekly burger.

Comment

Likewise Chain - its useful to have someone keeping an eye on me

And yes my spies are everywhere!

Friday evening - yup curry or beer for me.

Tomorrow I'm going to run in again.

Comment

Originally posted by Superhuman
                          2km row in 4.45
                          Are you sure!?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar View Post
                            Are you sure!?
                            With a name like 'Superhuman', I'm sure he has.

But seriously, I don't know anybody who can do 2000km under five minutes so there must be some sort of mistake.

Comment

LOL, well I wanted to see who'd point that out

The rower is in my gym. That means it's probably 25 years old and bust It started on 0.00, and ended on 2.00. I've never really rowed before so have nothing to compare it to. Went pretty quickly, but could have gone faster.

Going by the times posted here by people a lot fitter than I, it's safe to say the rower is broke.

Ish, sorry mate, missus was eating expensive chocolate last night so I had 8 small blocks

Comment

yeh 5 minutes seems robocop like!

I done it again today in 8:00 exactly this time, just couldnt get going properly and struggled throughout. I thought I'd be better at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X