This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes! Well done on the run.

Diet was a bit shabby over the weekend - big meals, a little chocolate. Nothing too bad mind. Back on form today.

Comment

Just got back home after a weekend in London for the Marathon. My first marathon and I did it in about 4'35, which was a fair bit slower than I hoped but that heat was a kiiller, I was absolutely gasping for every water station.

Absolutely fantastic event though, well impressed

Comment

Congrats dude, good on ya

Comment

rumbletum, congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself and I hope you had a good days rest today. Would it be rude of me to ask if you are going to do it again next year?

Whether you are or not, well done for yesterdays grand achievement.

Comment

I was a marathon finisher over the weekend, too. I did the Lochaber Marathon in Fort William. It didn't work out how I wanted, though but them's the breaks.

I was ill for the last 10 days and didn't train, so by the time the marathon came around my legs were a wee bit de-trained, I think. I was hoping for 3:15 up until 2 weeks ago but I had no idea how I would be affected. I was on about 3:20ish pace until half way and then the wheels fell off. My quads tightened and then seized which meant I was reduced to a painful shuffle for the last few miles.

I should have stopped really but I didn't want to be a quitter. I hobbled in in 3:54 which is still reasonable but not what I'd hoped for. My legs are completely shot at now though. Getting up from the sofa is very difficult and stairs are a lesson in pain.

I think I peaked a bit too soon as well. I was running really well a month ago but since then it's been downhill. Still, success teaches you nothing.

Next time.

Comment

Well done all!

Comment

Big leg weights session yesterday at the gym, first proper one for about 3 weeks so felt the pain this morning. And just in from a nice 4 or 5 mile cycle in the pouring rain. Was most excellent. So much fun.

Comment

Questions for the runners (and cyclists) and mainly recipher given his great advice before.

I've been ill for several months and today I went running (on the road) and to the gym in the afternoon. The gym wasn't the problem - in fact I was surprised I was so good as I haven't gone since early Feb (weights remain practically unchanged!). Problem comes with running.

Now, I've never been good and I suppose it was unrealistic to be decent, but I did 1 1/2 miles and felt really, really tired. That, frankly, is rubbish. I think a lot of it may be to do with my breathing. I tried to do 'cadence breathing' today (on a 3:3 scale) and while it seemed better I had problems drawing enough air into my lungs - not convinced I'm using my diaphragm properly. Are there any good breathing exercises I can do? How do you breathe when you run? It's mainly muscle fatigue I get (I think, i.e. legs start feeling tired) - what can cause this and how do I solve it? And how many people here go running before breakfast? I'm not looking to lose weight or anything, just to be able to run as far as possible.

Secondly, related to the running, will doing cycling and rowing at the gym actually help my performance? I know they're good for cv in general (and I plan to do them *anyway* as I enjoy it) but will it give me a boost? I'm planning on going running every day this week barring Sunday - bad idea? Good idea? Do I need a greater rest?

Comment

Don't overthink the breathing when you run, just breathe as much as you need to in order to stay comfortable.

When you run after a long lay off, then it'll be hard for a while, unlike gym work (where you can just push smaller weights). Try interspersing some walking, perhaps, until you get used to it again.

Cycling should help your running but not as much as running will. However, running is hard on the body (don't I know it), so cycling is good recovery. Try running on alternate days until you can run for 3 or 4 miles comfortably.

Comment

Okay, a few questions for all you weights guys out there. I'm getting back into fitness after about 18 months off (masters' degree...) and I'm finding that the cardio (ie. running, for me) stuff is coming along nicely. However, this time around I'd like to concentrate a bit less on full-on cardio like I used to, but instead on building muscular strength and size; time to see what life's like on the other side of the fitness fence!

To that end, and bearing in mind that even though I used to be very fit cardio-wise (and am still not too bad), I'm a total noob to all the weights stuff: what would you recommend? I'm looking (in cliched new-to-lifting style) to remove fat, gain definition and 'not get too big' ... at least until I start to get into it, just like I used to say I didn't want to 'run too far'

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
                        rumbletum, congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself and I hope you had a good days rest today. Would it be rude of me to ask if you are going to do it again next year?

Whether you are or not, well done for yesterdays grand achievement.
                        Thanks If you'd asked me within the first couple of hours or so of finishing my answer would have been 'no, never again'. Of course all the memories of discomfort are slowly leaving (although walking up/down stairs is still a problem) and the answer is gradually becoming yes, I would like to do another one.

Comment

Originally posted by recipher View Post
                          I was a marathon finisher over the weekend, too. I did the Lochaber Marathon in Fort William. It didn't work out how I wanted, though but them's the breaks.
                          Congrats, still a good time mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
                            Secondly, related to the running, will doing cycling and rowing at the gym actually help my performance? I know they're good for cv in general (and I plan to do them *anyway* as I enjoy it) but will it give me a boost? I'm planning on going running every day this week barring Sunday - bad idea? Good idea? Do I need a greater rest?
                            Could you not give yourself a target or something?

Instead of expecting to run as long as you can, perhaps you should aim for a certain distance and slowly build it up over days or weeks.

It seems to be a bit pressurising on your body if you are just going to run out with a state of mind in which you go as far as you can get considering you might run far one day and the next you will be struggling altogether.

As for your breathing, recipher is on the right lines; just breathe as comfortably as possible. There is NO shame in stopping the jog/run in order to have a quick rest and re-adapt your normal breathing cycle.

I wish you the best of luck but do take it easy when the going gets tough.

Oh, well done to recipher with your Marathon, successful or not!

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my target *was* 1 1/2 miles. I have a few routes near where I live: one that's 1 1/2 miles, one that's 2, one that's 2 1/2 etc. It was doing the 'easy' (i.e. 1 1/2) that almost killed me!

I went out this morning and did it again, just calmed myself down, breathed as often as I needed to but still controlled in motion - no short sharp breaths. I deliberately tried to take it more easy and I felt much better, could have run for quite a bit longer at the end of the run, I think. My aim is to do about 2 1/2 miles by the end of this month without feeling like I'm about to fall over and I'll see how I go from there. I'd actually find it harder *not* having a goal as I'm not the most easily motivated of people.

Interesting to hear that cycling is good recovery for running, why's that? I do enjoy it, I must admit.

Thanks for the advice as always chaps, it's really appreciated.

Oh and...

Congrats rumbletum! Cracking performance, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm View Post
                                Interesting to hear that cycling is good recovery for running, why's that? I do enjoy it, I must admit.
                                It uses the same muscles (hamstrings, calves, glutes), albeit in a different way, as well as working your CV system but it avoids the repetitive stress of running.

It doesn't work the other way around though, I've no idea why.

I'm not a sports scientist, so take everything with a wee pinch of salt but this is my experience and I do read around the subject quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X