This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ascender View Post
    That's some effort Recipher. I can only dream of 8 minute miles at the moment, even on very short runs. I've decided not to do FLM as I'd missed too many long runs, so I'm going to to the Edinburgh marathon instead which is a month later and will fit in with my schedule a bit better.
    I was running 9+ last year when doing my long runs. I kept running through the winter and when I started the long runs again, I'd found more than a minute.

Consistency is the key. Don't stop.

Comment

Fret not Rossco, I'm still around - just not as much as I used to be. Sounds like your training is really going well, nice improvements in reps and weights, and you're seeing growth all the time

Comment

wtf guys, you all turned into couch po-ta-toes? I'm gradually increasing the weight, hardly touched the cardio except for the cycling to work and a few 20 minute runs/row. Still switching between upper and lower body weights, up to 86kg now. I've been on fruit salad and protein shakes for post-workout, pre-workout is a protein shake with a banana or something else of equal carb loadout. Mid-afternoon typically involves a sandwich or something followed by some tea when I get home like which is probably the worst part of the dieting but I try to counter that in the day. Hardly any in the way of artificial fats, gradual increase in strength and muscle size although there's still a little bit of a love handle thing going on, mostly in my head anyway.

I still can't do sub-seven minute 2000m on the rower although I'm back up for trying this week after a slight relapse in the rowing (cycling to work as the weather as been aces).

Comment

Am now well into the speed training having suposedly done most of the endurance stuuf, that said the speed work seems to be increasingly faster or longer distances (all sub 6 min/mile) with decreasing recovery and increasing reps! tonight is 12 X 400m, on a plus side at least the sessions are over quicker!

Only 2 and half weeks training left now though to FLM so the end is near so to speak! Am racing stafford 1/2 this Sunday and will use that to set target for the marathon. Had hoped to put in around 1.25 but.... now being told that at this stage that is likely to take too much out of me and stuff the last 2 weeks training so I may settle for aiming at 1.28 which should give me a marathon time between 3.05 and 3.10 depending how much I die at the end, anything under 3.10 though would be good. Have ditched the sub 3hr on the basis of missing too many training sessions this year (about 10) and also I just am not that confident over those last few miles and dont want to die spectacularily which has happended twice now.

Comment

Got 16 weeks now to not bother about increasing weights or anything, but to just train with the right intensity to get clawed up before my holiday.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Did a 15 miler on Friday, but since then have been house-bound next to a bucket and within dashing distance of the toilet. Very annoying to not be able to train at all and I think its the final nail in my FLM coffin for this year, so I'll go for the Edinburgh marathon instead.

Comment

well I managed tonights speed session OK, 12 X 400m laps at 80sec which is about 5 min 20 a mile with 2 min recovery thought was good till mate pointed out Gabre Selassie does 50 X 400m in 63sec with 30 sec recovery about 4min 20 a mile! oh well

Comment

2000m rowing, 6:55.6 today

Comment

Did my last race before FLM yesterday the Stafford half marathon. The start was manic clearly noone had taken notice of the request to stand in the place where you may finish so it took just over 40 seconds to cross the line and then you then couldnt get above 7mins for the first mile but it was nice to just be passing people consistently. Did it as a tempo run and had 1.27.33 on my watch when I crossed the line, felt fairly comfortable though so feel I may be aiming at 3.05 for london now. 3hrs is not going to happen and I think 3.10 may not be pushing hard enough although they may be fatal last words!

Comment

I did the Coniston 14 on Saturday, in glorious weather - warm in the sunshine (not used to that) with little wind, a nice change.

My original thinking was to attack it as hard as I could but I decided against it in the end. My aim/hope was under 1:40 (about 1:33/1:34 1/2 marathon pace) but the hills slowed me down (as they do) and I didn't want to risk upping the pace.

I finished in 1:41.47 (7:20 pace) and 202nd place (out of about 1400 starters), which is good enough for me. My 1/2 time was around 1:36. I'm thinking that my Lochaber target will be 3:15 which is about 7:30 pace, which although it seems fast considering my Coniston time, Coniston was hilly and Lochaber is not.

My quads have been sore yesterday and today, probably due to a couple of steep descents taken quite fast. I'll get out on the bike today to loosen them off.

Good show, Spagoli. It's amazing how far away sub 3 is to 3:05, isn't it. I think you've got a chance but it's a big risk - if you aim at sub 3 and it doesn't work then you could have a horror show but if you run conservatively then you've no chance either.

I've a good idea that I can run 7:30s for 26 miles but I could be aggressive and aim at 7:20s and end up with 8s.

Comment

Originally posted by Spagoli View Post
                        Did my last race before FLM yesterday the Stafford half marathon.
                        Me too

(A fair bit slower than you though )

Nice race though, first time I've done it but will go back again.

Comment

Since my local pub is now non smoking I have decided now is the time to lose my little beer belly and get fit for the summer.

I am a complete and utter fitness virgin.

I need something that is going to aid the lost of a beer gut, I also want to improve my general fitness. Since I have been smoking for about eight years I know its going to be tough to begin with. I havent smoked for a month though so thats one step in the right direction.

Can anyone sugest a gentle fitness regime I can do a couple of nights a week? I wont go to a gym so anything involving gyms is a no go. I do live right by a big park though so plenty of running opportunites to be had in there. I am going to greatly reduce my alcohol consumption as well, I am normally in the pub three nights a week and drink 4-5 pints each time. I am going to reduce my trips to the pub to once a week and substitue beer/lager for red/white wine and drink a max of two glasses.

My aim is to lose two stone by June, is this realistic?

Comment

Good effort Recipher, reckon you are right about the risk, reckon pretty much anything under 3.20 relys on things going right pacing etc and if it goes wrong it goes wrong big time.... 3hrs is going hard from the start and like you say the risk of a horror show is too much, probably being ultraconservative but I want a solid performance, rather feelI did 3.05 and will do better next time instead of 3.10 and never again!

It was a good race Rumbletum, lots of people there which was a surprise, especailly when I got there late and couldnt do the usual push near the front, that said I think it actually helped me keep a steady pace, after the 40s to cross the line then a 7min first mile it made me go steady rather than flat out which given how rubbish I have felt this week is prob a good thing, felt fine after but have been lethargic all week. This is the toughest week so far since November and not looking forward to a 23miler on Sunday

Originally posted by Herbalizer View Post
                            My aim is to lose two stone by June, is this realistic?
                            Guess answer is Yes but how realistic will depend on how big you are now and also how much you really try. You could lose a stone probably just quiting the snacks and booze combined with 2/3 30min runs round the park in a month. IMHO you would be better to not set a weight loss target but to just get fit, the weight loss will come with the fitness if you build it into your lifestyle. The fitter you get the more you will want to eat the right sort of food and the less you weigh the easier the keeping fit will seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar View Post
                              2000m rowing, 6:55.6 today
                              Does the rowing machine you use have different settings where the rope is easier/harder to pull?

I managed a good 7 minutes 12 seconds last September on the tightest rope setting (10) and managed to put myself 29th on the Men's leader-board thing and I was 18 years old then. There must have been around 700-odd times on that list (at the time) so I felt pretty darn proud of myself.

I have been running for about 5-6 miles on (early) Sunday mornings now as I don't work on Sundays anymore, thankfully.

I don't like doing weights especially when I don't have a job that involves lifting things so I'm happy with the shape I am in at the moment and once the smoking ban starts, I'll be even happier.

Comment

Done my last pre London long run this morning, 24 miles, longest I've ever run, and I nearly didnt go out, but Im glad I did and am spending the rest of the day vegging on the settee.

Comment

Working...
                                X