This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oblivion_6
    Ive now signed up for a marathon in edinburgh in the summer so i need to start training for that,

Met too, glad there's another sucker for punishment on here

Comment

I've not been able to do much running lately for a variety of reasons but was able to start again today. Christ it hurt. During my absence from it I've managed to drop from being able to comfortably run 10 miles to finding 2 painful as ****.

Oh well. Start again....

Comment

I've dedicated an unusually large ammount of time on running recently in the pusuit of losing fat. A couple of 1hr runs and 20 min sprints a week to supplement my weights and whilst i'm noticebly leaner i've lost mass on the upper body and my shins kill. Its the pounding they receive from the hour long runs so ive dropped them and will just do 20 min fast runs for maximum residual effect. I hear horror stories all the time of hip replacements in later life attributable to running long distance especially if your not waif thin and ultra lean then the joints take a beating all the more.

Comment

Good trainers are essential. But even with them I'm 13 stone of lean mass now (mostly ) and I definetly feel it more than when I was 11 stone and wafer thin.

Just imagine the pounding the legs of some of the rugby players must take....
          Last edited by Ish; 28-01-2006, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by nightstalker100
            II hear horror stories all the time of hip replacements in later life attributable to running long distance especially if your not waif thin and ultra lean then the joints take a beating all the more.
            It's normally tubby couch potatoes who delight in telling you how bad for you running is though. Yes, runners do get bad knees, hips, aching joints etc, but regular runners are less likely to suffer than sedentary folk.

Comment

I'm not so sure. My mate's dad ran since his school days but by the time he hit 35 his knees were totally shot.

Comment

Hmm thats scary!!

I used to do running alot, was in the athletics team for high school for a good 3-4 years doing local and national competitions so was quite into it but then stopped as it got boring and now do more sports like basketball, squash and football every week which I guess wouldnt be so bad as just flat out running. But with that and going to the gym 2-3 times a week at least, I really don't give myself a chance, I'm constantly sore nowadays.

But it feels good knowing its working, not trying to lose weight either which is also helpful not having the stress of that to put up with, just wanting to build my body and muscle up.

Any good tips for building muscle and just beefing up in general? Especially the upper body/chest muscles?

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco
                  Hmm thats scary!!

I used to do running alot, was in the athletics team for high school for a good 3-4 years doing local and national competitions so was quite into it but then stopped as it got boring and now do more sports like basketball, squash and football every week which I guess wouldnt be so bad as just flat out running. But with that and going to the gym 2-3 times a week at least, I really don't give myself a chance, I'm constantly sore nowadays.

But it feels good knowing its working, not trying to lose weight either which is also helpful not having the stress of that to put up with, just wanting to build my body and muscle up.

Any good tips for building muscle and just beefing up in general? Especially the upper body/chest muscles?
                  Bench press and chin ups. Work hard, dedicate yourself to these two exercises and you'll see results. Eat more aswell to gain mass

Drop me a pm if you want more detail and i can tailor your routine to your goals and experience level

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco
                    basketball, squash and football every week which I guess wouldnt be so bad as just flat out running.
                    Worse in some ways - your constantly twisting then too which puts even more strain on the joints.

If you want to build lean mass its important to rest sufficiently too. I used to pound out the weights in the gym. Always in there. But my gains were slow. Over the last year work and other pressures meant I had to drop the amount of weights I did and my progress in terms of building the old muscle has increased dramatically.

What nightstalker said is true too - you need to eat enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish
                      I'm not so sure. My mate's dad ran since his school days but by the time he hit 35 his knees were totally shot.
                      My mates 32, never done any running, and had to have an op on both knees just before christmas.

Comment

My goal!! Pefect physiques. Chuck in a bit of arnold for kicks
                        Attached Files

Comment

Does having a big massive zit on the top of yah nose class as a good excuse for not going the gym tommorow? cos the sweat could aggravate me pours and make it worse! Also, im so embarrased about it.

Can i have a day off Charlie Bear Sir?

Comment

112: Everyone in the gym is looking at themselves in the mirror. No one will notice apart from you. You should be more worried about the lack of fitness you display. Get thee to the gym.

I set some goals last night:
                            6 weeks:
                            Improve posture - get to a point where I'm sitting neutrally at the PC without thinking about it.
                            Make exercise regular (I tend to go hardcore for a couple of weeks and then take a couple of weeks off and then repeat)
                            Try new things (food and exercise)
                            Improve strength - Do 3 sets of 10 wide-grip body weight pull ups (currently doing 8 then 5)
                            6 months:
                            Improve hamstring flexibility (touch my toes with ease - can't get near them at the moment) - should help my back too
                            Improve core strength. Not sure how to measure this, but to ensure this happens:

Started a 6 week Pilates class last night. Will continue after that, because it takes months to see the overall improvement. And gym tonight.

Anyone else care to set some detailed goals? Anyone slacking off and need motivation?

Comment

My ideal physique - forgetting for a moment Im the wrong colour, but if I could match this Id be more than happy :P

But being more realistic for a moment, Im under the 14stone mark again after a lapse over christmas. Visiting the gym at lunchtime 2-3 times a week, one 30 minute run a week, and playing football. Pretty happy with how things are going, still working hard on my stomach but all in all pretty good

Comment

Sigh

Ive been not well all week and unable to attend the gym, i feel like sh1t and really am noticing the difference, only thing is my illness appears to have knocked me for 6 and ill be lucky if i make it to the gym next week as well

Comment

Working...
                                X