Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMFG! What happened to Nick
    Was around 60 ish, i'l try and not look at the road and clock the revv'age over the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Katsujinken View Post
      OMFG! What happened to Nick
      Was around 60 ish, i'l try and not look at the road and clock the revv'age over the weekend
      You should always be revving pretty high if you have to be in top gear; by definition, top gear is intended for those times you want to be near the maximum speed the bike can go. Given that higher the gear the crappier the performance at low revs.. you see the point. If you're shifting at (say) halfway up the rev range, that might be fine from 1-2-3, be mediocre 3-4-5 and then start to bog down 5-6. So.. rev that bitch up!

FWIW, my Ninja 250 redlines at about 14000 RPM (high-revving engine by design) and I'd generally only shift into 6th from 5th when I'm up to about 9000-10000 RPM, minimum, ie. about two-thirds of the max revs.

Comment

Apologies for the double post - I PMed charlesr to change my name (thanks mate!) and so I'm continuing that little chat in here

Originally posted by charlesr
        With the clutchless shifting here's exactly what you do:
        pull up on the lever (it won't do anything).
        back off the throttle and bang it open again
        The gear should have changed up.
        If you get the timing right on the throttle, it should be reeeeaaally smooth (experiment with the amount of time you back off the throttle).

How are you getting on with awareness of other drivers and life-savers etc?
        I should say that I do know how to do it; I've done it before. Not to sound ungrateful for the tip - I wish I'd had that clear an explanation when I first learned how to do it! It's just that, smooth as it is, I can't see any real advantage over just using the clutch, which is almost as fast anyway.

The awareness of other drivers.. well. Now I live in the US it's a whole different ball game, so I should warn you that a Fallows-esque rant is to follow . I know I didn't start posting on this thread til recently, but I rode in the UK, too. I'd only been out of the saddle for about a year after moving here before I got my current bike, so it wasn't one of those ten-year layoffs where you forget everything. But the problem is, my UK street riding experience is only of limited usefulness.

It's amazing how much just riding on the right affects you, for a start -- I almost got a ticket for blowing through stop signs because I was subconsciously looking for them on the left! But it's not just that. The quality of driving here is absolutely dire, and gargantuan "SUVs" and truly monstrous pick-up trucks are the order of the day. They can't, or won't, make any allowances for motorcyclists. It's far worse than in England. You get Ford F-250 drivers blatantly trying to change lanes right on top of you assuming that your "puss-ass lil' rice burner" has to make way for their Mighty American Truck. I learned that the hard way when I was almost killed turning onto a main road.

In short, I recomment riding in the US as excellent training for any European riders that want to sharpen up those survival skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Eps View Post
          I can't see any real advantage over just using the clutch, which is almost as fast anyway.
          It's probably far more relevant for bigger engined bikes. When you use the clutch, there's always a bit where the clutch is trying to match the engine to the transmisison/road speed which destabilises the bike - the more power trying to get through the clutch, the more unstable the bike will be, to the extent where eventually, you'll be popping a wheelie or spinning up the back or get generally lurching around. Whereas with clutchless, the gear cannot change until the engine speed has dropped enough to EXACTLY match the transmission speed, so there's less drama. That's what I reckon anyway.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Pavey View Post

Clever reference there, Nicholas. I 've always wanted to fit a moccasin clutch like all the top race guys have.

Comment

Thoughts? Not read much about it but I think it is actually set for release as seen now.

I think I like it, but need to see one on the flesh for a proper opinion.
                Attached Files

Comment

That is why I need a motorbike...amazing!

Comment

See also:

Decided I don't like the headlights. Rest is pretty much awesome!

Comment

Is it radar proof?

Comment

yeah, I bet it's gonna be in the next Bond movie.... a stealth bike !

not bad looking but a bit too to spacy for me, I also don't like the headlights

Comment

Nice, I was not aware KTM did racing style bikes at all!

There's a Harley dealership near me that has a Buell racing style bike that looked absolutely amazing! But I fear the price and speed would be very scary

Comment

Pah! Buells are ****e, except for that new one for which they didn't just stick a load of rusty Harley components in a quasi-sportbike frame. And the Blast, which is a nice all-round 500cc bike.

That KTM's quite nice but the tail end is a bit too much on the high-and-pointy side. Looks pretty suspect, specially combined with the rear fender / mudguard assembly.

Comment

Okay, I'm due to adjust the valves on my Ninjette, and was wondering: to what extent do you lot on this thread do your own maintenance? Do you perform every single maintenance and repair task yourself, old school style, or do you farm it out to the local dealer(s), or something in between?

Personally, I do almost all my own maintenance. There are only a couple of tasks that are a "pet hate" that I might get a dealer to do. This isn't usually because they're difficult, but just because I loathe them. For example, I'm quite happy to perform valve adjustments, disassemble and clean the carbs (if it's not got FI), swap out engines, etc. Yet I cannot stand changing my own tyres... even though it's far simpler than the above tasks, I hate that job so much that I usually end up paying a dealer to do it! Seating those bloody beads properly...

Comment

I have done nothing so ANY advice is great!

Comment

Working...
                                X