No announcement yet.

Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No idea about in the test, so you'd better ask, but in real life, you'd only signal if you were turning or changing lane. A quick check of mirrors plus life-saver to one side should be all you need.

You should have already done this well before the parked vehicles, rather than swerving out. i.e. a following car wouldn't even really notice you moving across because it's gradual.

I'd like to know the answer though!

Comment

will ask the instructor on my next lesson, which is saturday.
      I'm finding the experience of bike riding to be a little alien, stuff which I would do without really thinking about it when car driving, when on a bike sends me into a state of anxiety, hopefully this will all settle down, as I know by relaxing things will be a lot easier.

Comment

Have you had a go at consciously counter steering yet to help you tip into corners more quickly?

Ride along straight and gently push the left bar forwards (so handlebars turn right), whilst not holding (or applying no pressure to) the right bar, to see what happens.

I think of it as pushing the bar down into the corner. Be gentle until you know what's going on. Then manly use of this will let you tip from side to side really fast.

This should be taught in lessons, but it's not. One instructor I met even said it's only used by racers. Er... and you are an instructor?

I was conciously doing it while downhilling my mountain bike at the weekend.

I bought my son a balance bicycle today to see if all the bad habits the stablisers have taught him can be undone. It was heartbreaking to watch, when he was tipping to one side then steering the bars the "wrong" way the whole time on the balance bike. He'll get there though.
        Last edited by charlesr; 02-08-2010, 21:57.

Comment

on the indicators. you only need to use them if you are signalling a turn or changing lanes (crossing into the path or other vehical) though this doesnt apply if there isnt anyone else about. the rule of thumb when i did my test was that you only needed to signal if someones would benefit from the signal.

on the relaxing front, practice will help, getting used to the bike and developiing slow riding, ie balance the throttle with back brake and a little clutch. I say little clutch as more presure on the rear brake will keep you stable as it 'pulls' the bike taught. Droping the dipping the clutch makes it loose and unstable. keeping the wheels linked to the engine keeps the gyoscpics in control so it will always pull itself upright if you give it some.

on the counter-steering you will be doing this unconciously anyway as you are already steering the bike leaning so i wouldnt worry about it too much.

@charlesr. i know a little of how you are feeling having watched painfully as siblings fell trying to unlearn the rules and habbits taught by stablizers. but he'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
            I installed a new PCV map yesterday, one of Dynojet's own, and the Blade and Taylormade Racing exhaust were running much better.
            I keep telling my mate who had a Taylormade fitted to his (after I sent him a pic of yours) that he should get the fueling sorted too. It sounds well choked up every time he starts it taking several blips to clear it's throat. Looks superb though, well it did till he launched it at Brands last wed's, real shame too as we were both booked in at Cadwell on Fiday (pic's to follow) .
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by concretesnail View Post
              @charlesr. i know a little of how you are feeling having watched painfully as siblings fell trying to unlearn the rules and habbits taught by stablizers. but he'll get there.
              One day on the balance bike and he's getting there already. Proper floating along and steering in between foot plants. Got it for ?20 on ebay, local pickup. Bargain!

Comment

I've been honing my low speed skills on the really deep gravel on one side of my driveway, seeing how slow I can go with the back snaking around. Fun, but scary. Keeping the feet on the pegs till the last second!

Comment

thanks for the info re the indicators, much appreciated. Also Charles the instructor did get us to have a go at countersteering during the lesson on Sunday, to start with I was trying to get my head around so many other things I needed to do, that I just ignored him, but after a while had a few goes at consciously counter steering and it went ok, definitely need to practice this some more.
                  To build confidence Ive ordered this book, hopfully it will give some helpful tips

Comment

That's great to hear he was teaching you that. When you understand how a bike actually goes around corners, it makes it a lot easier to manipulate.

Comment

on the literature and learning front see if you can pick up twist of the wrist 2. the presentation is a little sickly(american) but it is worth a watch.

Comment

Passed Module 1 test today, Woop Woop!! went quite well really, did some breathing exercises and just got on with it. A young guy who went a little while after me, fell off on the swerve test, felt quite sorry for him really and know it could just as easily been me falling off. Just Module 2 test left now.

Comment

Congrats.
                          What's the swerve test?

Comment

Got my CBT booked for 26th this month. Looking forward to it, although am a little nervous, I was when I took my first driving lesson but soon settled into it. Going to book a DAS up after as well. May as well go for the full thing!

Comment

The 'avoidance' test is its correct name. Accelerate to 31mph through a speed trap then drive through some oddly positioned cones while help to similulate a situation where a swerve is needed.

Comment

Ah, I might start the positive language campaign or something. Calling something the "avoidance" (or swerve) test is daft.

"Ok, I want you to brake hard and avoid/go around the cones!" or worse "Drive through the cones!"

What you really need to hear from the instructor is "aim for the gaps". If you concentrate on the cones, that's what you'll hit. On the road, you always need to look at the gaps. Gaps between cars. Gaps between craters in the road. Gaps between pedestrians. But always look at the gaps!

Comment

Working...
                                X