No announcement yet.

Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wets are tyres carry a cut pattern which is designed to move surface water really well but if you hit a drying section they can tear themselves to pieces, chewing gum is tougher than wets. Track days are the best place to learn wet weather riding. No diesel floating on top. And you don't have to slow as much as you think. The last time I was at mallory park it hammered it down monsoon style and some folk with wets said it was too much but I went out on a semi slick supercorsa. There was grip there but you had to be super smooth, let the bike move to find the grip and go quick enough to keep heat in the tyres. A fine balancing act and it made for some interesting onboard video.
    If your on standard road tyres or a sporty touring type tyre you should be fine on wet tracks as long as your relaxed ,smooth with inputs and let the tyre warm fully.
    Last edited by concretesnail; 22-09-2014, 12:23.

Comment

Nice Speed Triple Dave, always liked those. Never knew there was thread on bikes here. We should all meet up for a ride out.

I have just (this week) changed my tires to Maxxis Diamonds, absolutely stonking in the wet. I commute daily so have to be prepared for the elements. Previously had Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa's, absolutely **** in the wet.

Comment

Cheers Pavey! What are you riding at the moment? I'd be well up for a ride out anytime, although I seem to be in some sort of South West minority, being in Bristol. Anyone else round these parts?

Good to know about the Diamonds by the way. I had a new pair of shoes put on the speedie in August, but was weighing up a pair of Metzeler Sportecs in future, MCN literally won't shut up about them every week.

Comment

Im only in Herts, not a million miles away. I commute on a 1098 Streetfighter. Great fun, and very comfortable (40 soon, wrists and back aren't what they used to be )

post a picture

Also have a 749, which i am tempted to turn into a bit of a project. There is an 1198 engine on ebay at the moment, which will drop straight in. Tempted...

Also have one of these (not my picture) -

Mine is a 1976 Rally 200, which i had resprayed in that blue Alfa chameleon colour that changes slightly from differing angles. Currently not put back together, have no time

I like Italian bikes

Comment

That Duke streetfighter is pure gorgeous mate, I was tempted by one of them! You can't beat the copper coloured forks on nakeds can you?

Loving the phone clamp too, been tempted to get that set up on mine for weekend sat nav powered adventures.

Comment

Double post. Sorry.

Comment

VW with a Ducati engine, only a concept though I believe.

Comment

That is absolute madness! The convoluted ownership of Ducati via Audi via VW is clearly paying off. I also read Ducati will be working with Audi in future on some bespoke safety tech, which could be really interesting.

Speaking of Dukes, has anyone else fallen in love with the scrambler yet?

Comment

That looks totally excellent. Some crazy offspring of a cafe racer and a super motard.

Comment

Streetfighter was stolen today from right outside my work, in broad daylight. Had to get the train home.

The area is called The Boltons and the houses are around ?10m+. Frank Lampard lives over the road from the bay, where i had it chained to a ground anchor. Thieves are everywhere.

Not letting it get me down, only a bit of metal (tears may come later ).

Comment

Did they just snip through the chain?
                        For next time, I saw some video of a special chain which experts couldn't get through after 20 mins, when most chains they were through in seconds.
                        Bummer (about the train )

Comment

They did, left me one link on the floor. Snipped straight through it.

Comment

Oh christ mate, that's devastating news Hope you either find it, or get an insurance replacement sorted quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              Did they just snip through the chain?
                              For next time, I saw some video of a special chain which experts couldn't get through after 20 mins, when most chains they were through in seconds.
                              Bummer (about the train )
                              Might have been one of these chains on http://www.almax-security-chains.co....t=More+Details

19mm links and impossible to cut with bolt cutters but a lot of thieves will use battery powered angle grinder to make a quicker getaway.

Did you use a disc lock too so it was harder to wheel it away?

Comment

Pavey, any news on this lad? I take it you're currently jumping through insurance company hoops?

Comment

Working...
                                X