Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've gone off the mark iii having just seen the actual uk price and not the price of a random USA eBay import.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      If you're thinking about jumping on a 5D Mk3 because of this, I'd also seriously consider picking up a used Mk2, the differences are slim and you'll save a grand while still getting that noise reduction you're looking for given they're both full frame sensors. Spend the difference on some L.
      Not a Canon man but overall I'd agree, a decent lens isn't just about sharpness it's a sum of all parts and my low light/high ISO shots are overall much better given the better contrast, colour rendition etc of a higher quality lens.

Comment

I'm not doubting that one bit, you are preaching to the converted so to speak (I work for the most highly respected lens/optics company in the world). I just fancy upping my game on the body side of things first.

My most commonly used lens is an 18-200mm lens that I use lots on my travels, this works fantastic almost 95% of the time, the rest of the time I switch to a 50mm 1.8 for low light and or easy bokeh.

What I want is the versatility of that lens, but to lose some of the noise/be able to freeze action more easily/ shoot in a lower light handheld with that lens would be ideal.

The other option is to find a similar lens that is a little bit faster, but I can't find one.
        Last edited by EvilBoris; 10-08-2012, 18:20.

Comment

But given your current kit, you're really not going to see much improvement with a new body unless you're planning to shoot in the dark at high ISO levels and then print it at A3. Glass would be a far better investment.
          Last edited by MartyG; 10-08-2012, 18:20.

Comment

I'd quite like to have that facility to be honest :P

I've put it off now anyway ?3k is a lot of money to blow on a camera.

Here are a few recently processed ones.

IMG_9142.jpg by EvilBoris, on Flickr

IMG_0302.jpg by EvilBoris, on Flickr

IMG_0323.jpg by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Bruges 128-Edit.jpg by EvilBoris, on Flickr

IMG_3753.jpg by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
              My most commonly used lens is an 18-200mm lens that I use lots on my travels, this works fantastic almost 95% of the time, the rest of the time I switch to a 50mm 1.8 for low light and or easy bokeh.
              You're always going to be compromising with a lens of that range in terms of quality (though I do run such a lens on a Canon 20D as it's a great walkabout). Unfortunately to get the quality you're craving isn't cheap and it doesn't come in a single package. You'll be wanting a Canon 24-70mm f2.8 and a
              Canon 70-200mm f2.8
              - I'm guessing if your 18-200mm is an EF fit it's a Sigma or Tamron - there'd be no point in putting that lens on a 5D Mk3, so dropping the idea is probably a good one. Those lenses above though, will make a load of difference on your current camera body.

It's definitely not the cheapest of hobbies

Comment

Here is a couple from a househunting trip to liverpool

Comment

Really wanting to get back into photography properly now with my canon 450D and I'm looking at tripods just to give me a little more stability and sharper photos as my hands aren't the steadiest. What's the general consensus around on here on them? Is CF the best to go for because of its carry weight? I found this recently reduced Alu one on amazon - seems to get generally favorable reviews both on amazon and on photography websites. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giottos-MTL9...ductPromotions

Anyone owned or used one at all?

Comment

I use a monopod, can use the whole combination handheld if I don't require the stand, also much lighter than a full blown tripod.

Giottos get decent reviews and would imagine it would do the job handsomely though I would ensure you get a 'pod with the right head, the three way wouldn't suit me personally as I use a ball.

I use a Gitzo 2341 mono with a 2780 head;
                    Discover Gitzo: tripods, monopods, tripod heads and other professional photography accessories in carbon fibre. Explore our product series! Fast shipping.

Discover Gitzo: tripods, monopods, tripod heads and other professional photography accessories in carbon fibre. Explore our product series! Fast shipping.

Comment

I have a somewhat cheap monopod, but I don't it too effective. Presumably not because it's cheap but because it doesn't offer the stability I need.

Comment

I'm not a massive monopod fan they don't give that much over leaning on something to steady yourself, but they can be useful for beating off muggers.

The Giotto linked looks like a good price for the kit, but it might be worth considering a system tripod if you're going to be using it a lot - it will give you more flexibility.

Hopefully should have some new kit tomorrow - I've been looking at them for a while, and I do like prime lenses - I've bought the Nikkor 35mm f1.8G, which gives the equivalent of a 52mm lens on the APS-C sensors (film cameras used to just come with the standard 50mm). It's the perfect lens for general photography, making you have to think about your composition, rather than rely on a zoom.

Comment

Hopefully should have some new kit tomorrow - I've been looking at them for a while, and I do like prime lenses - I've bought the Nikkor 35mm f1.8G, which gives the equivalent of a 52mm lens on the APS-C sensors (film cameras used to just come with the standard 50mm). It's the perfect lens for general photography, making you have to think about your composition, rather than rely on a zoom.
                          I have this lens - cracking little lens, and well worth every penny. I really must use it more. I've also been thinking about getting another prime, but the 50mm is a bit too similar to the 35 and not sure how useful an 85mm is on a crop body ?

Comment

A 50mm gives you a pretty decent portrait lens on a crop sensor at 75mm (close to the 85) and given the price it's worth a look. Sharp as a pin. It's probably more worthwhile than the 85mm on a crop.

Comment

@Boris - Love that silhouette shot. Very good, looks like smoke coming out a gun (which I assume was intentional?)

@Daragon - Try http://www.redsnapperuk.com/index.html

I reckon they are as good as the bigger brands costing twice the price. 3 way heads are good if you want to do any video, ball heads are way less cumbersome though.

Comment

I do like prime lenses - I've bought the Nikkor 35mm f1.8G
                                Nice, I'm pondering about a new lens (or possibly a second hand one). I've been thinking of getting some primes and 2 which stand out are the Canon EF 135mm f/2 L and the EF 200 f/2 L both around the ?600 mark (2nd hand for the 135, new for the 200) which as I've not got a lot of spare cash has got me thinking about trading in things. I've got an old Eos 5D which I really should have shifted a while back (plus grip) so hoping to get around ?350-400 plus I'm looking to trade in my EF 1.4 II extender - which to be honest I've never really liked.

Comment

Working...
                                X