No announcement yet.

The Cycling / Bicycles Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I don't run Slime or similar tubes on my road bikes. The physics reason is due to something called 'moment of inertia'... check Google or come to one of the classes I teach for more info It's partially because of that, but mainly because I find that it just doesn't perform as well as it used to on the MTBs I rode.

I found that on my road bike, if I got a puncture on my rear tyre from a piece of glass or etc. at the start of my journey, the Slime seal would sporadically 'break' and re-seal on occasions where the ride put (even) more force on the back tyre than normally. It did this whenever I went up a steep hill (thereby shifting more of my weight onto the back wheel), and when I hit a pothole or etc. This is probably because of the high tyre pressure us 'roadies' run; I keep my tyres a touch over 100psi, and I know plenty of road cyclists that like higher pressures.

In connection with this, if you're using a MTB for road commuting you should have the tyres pumped up to near the maximum pressure they can withstand, as lower pressure shows advantages in the sticks but not on the road. Also, you should really use MTB-sized road tyres with Kevlar lining, or with an additional 'armoured' tyre liner. As Crisp says, puncture-resistant tyres lined with Kevlar or similar will be a better (and more long-term) solution than Slime or etc. in the tubes. I find that running with 'armoured' tyres makes my ride a touch firmer than otherwise, but doesn't really bring the kind of penalties that the weight etc. of Slime-filled tubes brings.

Comment

Thanks for all the info on that guys, very helpful. I've not got round to trying the slime tubes on yet, been too busy cycling and other stuff!

So this morning I was mincing about on my bike around the estate, just tanking it through the woods and down any hill I could find. Ground was soaking wet, and I was nearing the bottom of one hill with pavement at the bottom, I needed to slow down as I was going way too fast and felt like I was gonna lose control at any second over the monstrously undulating terrain (average size hill ). So I slammed the brakes on, they didnt grip on the ground under me which was basically mud and the wheels locked and slid sideways, I couldnt get it under control, and had to bail to keep the bike from getting damaged and got a big gash on my wrist in the process! Not a scratch on the bike so its all good.

My first wipeout, was a good experience! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco
        got a big gash on my wrist in the process! Not a scratch on the bike so its all good.

My first wipeout, was a good experience! ^_^
        Yeah, my bike was remarkably unscathed from my wipeout on Wednesday .. which is more than can be said for me. But at least I don't have to pay to get myself fixed up! (or, rather, I already pay near a coupla hundred a month in NI for getting myself fixed up so I'm just cashing in on some of that investment I guess).

Comment

yeah I meant to say, that was a lovely story about yours crash!

I came in after the crash and first thing my mum said was "Is your bike ok!!!?" and I was like "More like, is your SON ok!!?"

Comment

Why is it that people think that it's okay to ride on the wrong side of the road? ft: I gave three people a bollocking today for doing this. Just because you're on a bike doesn't mean you abandon the rules of the road!! ft:

Comment

When I was working at PORC coaching downhill (this was a long time ago now, when full suspension bikes looked like normal bikes with springs inserted into bit of the tubing! 1992-4ish), I saw (and did) a lot of things.

Riding the downhill course on inappropriate steeds was cool. Started on a trials bike. Then tried my road bike (slicks). The road bike was pretty fast, but drifted wildly in corners. Eventually the head-tube snapped in half though.... Then I tried it in the jeep. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't. Got stuck half way down and had to grab the tractor to tow it.

I saw a lot of accidents.
              Someone doing the dual slalom had his seat tube snap and the remainder go straight through his leg.
              Famous female biker (missy giove?) rode straight into a tree on a corner. Classic target fixation. Look at the gap, not the tree. Luckily there was a hay bale on the tree, but hospital still beckoned.
              There was one jump where you have to pre-jump it if taking it at speed, i.e. jump in advance of the crest so that you land at the top of the downslope, otherwise you get fired into space (bombhole). Some noob with girvin forks didn't and when he landed at the bottom, his forks folded up. His face became one with the stem. Very messy. Poor chap. Downhill is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and you should build up slow.

Looky HERE for pics.
              Bah. Links don't work.
              Last edited by charlesr; 21-10-2006, 09:17.

Comment

So, we've heard from casual cyclists, serious road cyclists, XC riders, freeriders and downhillers; any trials cyclists, BMX fans or HPV / recumbent fans around?

Comment

[waves willy]My bikes:

Rocky Mountain Hammer. Hand made Steel frame. Beautiful Marzocchi forks that I've tuned to perfection (and got a full internals overhaul/upgrade). Not too impressed with the Shimano Hydraulic brakes but they are very light and slow me down enough on cross country courses (fade on long downhill though). Emminently comfy over long distances.

Mission Prodigy with magura hydraulics and is knackered
                  People think that I'm too old to be messing about on trials bikes.....

I love the idea of trials. I'm just too scared to be good at it. And old.....

I tried a 3 wheel recumbent once. It was fantastic. Turned at the speed of thought. So fast, but was very heavy up hill.

Comment

Someone's robbed yer saddle matey!

Comment

Actually mine hasn't got a saddle at all (those are random net pics)

Comment

Originally posted by Psi
                        Why is it that people think that it's okay to ride on the wrong side of the road? ft: I gave three people a bollocking today for doing this. Just because you're on a bike doesn't mean you abandon the rules of the road!! ft:
                        Ho hum, it's not just cyclists you know. I was going round a square on my way to work the other day to suddenly be confronted by a car driving round thr corner on the wrong side of the road. And when I gestured to them to move onto the right side, they just yelled abuse at me,

Not to mention the countless drivers I've encountered who seem to think that if there's something blocking their side of the road, it's their god-given right to plough through any cyclists on the other side of the road in order to get round it.

Just because you're in a car, doesn't mean cyclists don't exist!

Comment

Oh, you want to try cycling over here!! Lots of Americans really, honestly believe that it's illegal to cycle on public roads. The amount of times I've had drivers deliberately drive aggressively because they think I haven't got the right to be on the road because I don't drive a stupid huge truck... ft:

Comment

New rim for me I reckon, my spokes keep snaping

Comment

I've been looking at new pedals after I've been ruining the ones I have, and I can't find reflectors anywhere. The're not making it easy to keep this thing road legal.

Comment

First of all: hi, I am new to these forums and am interested to get to know the forum better.

Okey, I live in Lewisham in south east London and cycle quite a lot. Yesterday I was going to go to Sevenoaks but the wind went against me. I have an ex racer bike which I picked up at boot sale for less than twenty pounds with two brand new wheels and all the bike needed was a few screws tightened, a clean and a safety check. Tyres are fine.

I decided to go on a circular ride through Mottingham, past Elmstead Woods, up the hill and then through Sundridge Park and joint up with Burnt Ash road and cycled through Grove park to the main road at bottom. Interesting cycle ride. For me, cycling is as much an excercise routine as it is jolly good fun. The best feeling is when you come back home and feel a glowing warmth inside of you. Also the scenery and the smells of the woodland.

Today, I braved rain conditions to go and see a friend in Charing Cross. Journey by bike from Lewisham, for me took forty five minutes via Old kent road. I am interested to find out if there are any cycle clubs like the Ramblers association but on bikes?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X