The Cycling / Bicycles Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did I look in this thread?

I now want a decent bike as I have been using my current model for the past two years (to and fro work) and is now starting to feel a bit loose and uncomfortable on certain surfaces.

I best starting looking around during the Easter sales.

Comment

After a weekend on a hire bike and realising just how much I still love riding bikes, I'm going to take the plunge and get myself one.

As per usual, I'm starting tonnes of research and reading (I tend to do this with anything that costs more than ?100). I've just been down to my local bike place, and have been pointed at the likes of Trek, Marin and possibly Kona. I'm going to be using it 90% on the road, 10% on grit trails and pathways, so I've been pointed at hybrids. Annoyingly I've also been told to steer clear of hybrids by someone else, but I'll try before I buy anyway.

So what do people think of the sort of thing I should go for. I'm going hardtail obviously, and know some basic common sense, like go for good forks and frame rather than cheap disc brakes. I had a look at a Trek 7.1 in the shop..

...which seemed nice, and also a 7.5.

I also looked at some Marins (I forgot which) and a Kona (again, memory lapse time). I've been told by a friend to have a look at Specialized too. What about the good folks of this forum, what sort of thing would you suggest? I'm looking to keep my first purchase below ?500 btw, I'll spend silly money when I get into it more

Comment

May i ask what frame size i should be looking at, i'm 5.11. Going to pick up a bike, Thank you

Comment

They should be able to tell you. I'm about 6'3 and they were suggesting around the 20" mark for me.

Comment

How good is this bike? http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/inde...category_id=13 The question isn't rhetorical, i want to know! It looks like love.

Comment

I'm going for this, Kona Dew 2007

Its 300 pounds, and from what i can gather it seems pretty decent.

Comment

babs,

I have an '05 Marin Mill Valley which is part of their ALP series. It's a great bike which is fast and light and a perfect match for urban environments. I doubt you can go wrong with any of the brands mentioned.
                Last edited by Richard.John; 17-04-2007, 01:18.

Comment

Nice TT bike Recipher
                  My next one will be a De Rosa Protos. If I can convince the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by linkedtpthepast View Post
                    May i ask what frame size i should be looking at, i'm 5.11. Going to pick up a bike, Thank you
                    I have a Trek 7100FX which is a 22.5" frame size. I'm 6'2" so you would probably be ok with the 20" frame unless you have really long legs.

Always try to get a shot of a demo bike to make sure your happy with the size you order.

Comment

Babs, you'll need a stiff bike if you are taller/heavier than average. Problem is, larger frames flex more easily....

Hybrid bikes tend to have quite lazy frame geometry. You might be better off with a mountain bike in the frame size for you, with cross-tyres. Think really long seat tube and tight frame with radical sloping top tube i.e. the angle between the top tube and rear stays (to the back wheel) is flatter. It will also be much more fun to ride. Look at the difference in frame shape between the treks you posted and the konas posted by linkedtpthepast, the latter of which might be more suitable for you.

Only problem will be it may not be quick enough if you are using it on the road, so a larger than stock top gear ring at the front might be in order.

Comment

Don't forget Giant bikes. They are very reasonable for the spec.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          Don't forget Giant bikes. They are very reasonable for the spec.
                          Come again? What are those you speak of charles?

I have started my search - once again - to get a new bike so I guess this thread would be ideal to ask for help.

I have a ?250 (pushing to ?300) budget and simply want a bike that isn't too large (structure wise) and allows each bump to feel comfortable as I happen to cut through a fair amount of country lanes in Woodbridge to get around quicker.

Where should I start? Are there any decent websites, recommendations, write-ups, etc?

Thanks to whoever helps.

Comment

Giant bikes make frames for loads of other manufacturers including Specialized. Thus their own bikes tend to be better specced for the price.

£250 these days should get you a decent bike with front suspension. Not much point in disc brakes at that price though.

Most cheap frames seem to be aluminium these days - but if you want a more supple ride, see if there are any steel frames in that price bracket. Slightly heavier but less harsh over bumps. Doubt you will find any decent ones though.

Comment

I rode a Giant the other day (MTB), it was really nice.

Comment

OK...newbie question alert!!!

I got a GT Avalanche (I think) a couple of years ago and have harldy used it for several reasons (abject laziness being the most obvious). My brother was telling me I need to get disc brakes for it...but he couldn't give me a good reason why and tends to talk arse.

So, when is it a good reason to buy disc brakes? I intend to do normal street riding and a little (slow and safe) off-roading. If it is worth getting them then any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                                X