The Cycling / Bicycles Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have old push bike.. But i've been confused lately

I heard some lad in my village say my girlfriends name and he said 'she is abit of a bike'. Thats why i'm confused because she doesn't look like a bike and i can't ride her like a bike.... Please help me.

Comment

I need a new way of keeping fit...

Can someone tell me if this bike is any good for £329.99?

Specialized Hardrock Sport HYD Disc 2007

Welcome to Dales Cycles. Est 1912. One of Scotlands oldest and most Trusted bike shops. Serving the whole UK.

# Frame: A1 Premium Aluminum, disc only, double butted ORE DT, externally relieved head tube, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 hanger
      # Forks: RST Gilla Plus T7, 100mm, Cro-Mo steerer, 30mm stanchions, coil MCU w/ preload adjust
      # Gear shifters:Shimano Alivio M-410 SL Rapid Fire
      # Front mech: Shimano Acera M-330
      # Rear mech: Shimano Acera
      # Crankset: Truvativ ISO Flow 3.0 for Power Spline, replaceable rings
      # Cassette: Shimano MFHG-40, 8-speed, 11-32t
      # Rims: Specialized/Alex HRD 26, double wall disc
      # Hubs F: Specialized Hi Lo disc, 36h, CNC flange and disc mount, QR. R:Shimano M-475 Disc, cassette, 36h
      # Tyres: Specialized Resolution, 26x2.1", 30TPI, wire bead
      # Saddle: Specialized Body Geometry, ATB
      # Seat post: Alloy micro adjust
      # Stem: Specialized 3D forged alloy, two bolt, 25.4mm, 10 degree rise
      # Handlebar: Alloy 25.4mm, 38mm rise, 620mm wide, 8 degree back, 6 degree up sweep, 3.2mm thick
      # Grips: Specialized Enduro, dual density Kraton
      # Brakes: Hayes Sole hydraulic w/ 6" v-cut rotors

Comment

Ok ive just bought a new frame and am retiring some bits on my old bike (snapped head tube) and need to get a new rear mech. Having always had XT i was looking around and there a three nmbers now m770, m771 and m772. Anyone have any idea what the difference is.

bri

Comment

@Philai
          I think you won't get much better for that price.
          Looks a seriously good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by bwi View Post
            Ok ive just bought a new frame and am retiring some bits on my old bike (snapped head tube) and need to get a new rear mech. Having always had XT i was looking around and there a three nmbers now m770, m771 and m772. Anyone have any idea what the difference is.

bri
            m770 is a 'Rapid Rise' or 'Low Normal' rear mech meaning it goes in reverse of regular mechs. ie: On a regular rear mech you 'click' to drop down gears (make pedalling more difficult) and use the long swing thumb shifter to move back up. Rapid Rise supposedly makes it easier to get lower gearing for hills and such as you can pretty much keep the pressure on the pedals whilst switching gears.

m771 is the above mech but with a regular spring setup.

m772 is the new 'Shadow' range of rear mechs which run closer to the bike frame supposedly making it more difficult to clatter it against rocks/roots/small dogs. This also has a 'normal' spring.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for that 771 ordered

bri

Comment

Hey guys,

Is this bike any good:

Shops bicycles, e-bikes, accessories & clothing or book a bike service/repair. UK wide delivery & 0% interest options available. Shop online or visit instore

Need a new bike and this fits my price range. I only cycle on London roads so not bothered about off roads capabilities.

Additionally-anything else better for a similar price?

Thanks in advance.
                Last edited by Street Turk; 04-01-2008, 10:36.

Comment

Looks ok. Do you need suspension? If you are only going on roads, you might be able to find a better bike for the same price without suspension. Might....

Comment

I've just got back into the cycling bug. My work set up a cycle to work scheme and I decided to get some exercise.

Loving it, even though the weather isn't great at the moment. I cycle through Bedford park which is really lovely and quiet first thing in the morning. Got myself a Gill jacket, MET helmet and other gubbins and someone commented I looked liked Lance Armstrong (I wish).

This is the bike I've got, a Trek 7.5 FX. I know Trek are a big manufacturer, but the bike had everything I wanted (bullet proof tyres, light frame, straight handle bar, big frame size, big gear differential, looks nice) and nothing I didn't (suspension, disc brakes). Have added some bar ends because my work is on top of a mahoosive hill.

Also, if anyone ever needs to buy a car rack, I can't recommend the Saris Bones enough. A bit more pricey than some at ?90, but it will fit any car and was as solid as a rock with three bikes on it. Nothing can be worse than your bikes crashing off the back and bouncing down the M1 (as happened to my mate ).

Comment

Weyyyheyy cycling weather is back again, been out a few times in the last week or so now and loving it again and seriously considering doing the West Highland Way on it now. Anyone cycled it or know anyone that has?

Comment

Just bought a bkie from Halfords a few weeks ago. This one here. I think I got last years model, I only paid about £330 for it, and it's white and red, not grey.

Pretty happy with it at the moment, though I have nothing to bench-mark it with. I had to take the stirups off the pedal though, found it too hard to use them. Thinking of putting a new seat on there, cause the stock one is quite uncomfortable. Still re-learning how to ride it, effective gears and such.

Does it look good, can anyone give me some feedback? Would chaning the break pads make breaking better, they squeek and slide in the rain, can you get special wet (English) weather pads. Tar
                        Last edited by Gruce; 15-04-2008, 22:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                          Weyyyheyy cycling weather is back again
                          Indeed, time to service me old (but still good) bike.

With petrol going into silly figures I'm seriously thinking of using this for work!

Comment

Originally posted by Gruce View Post
                            Just bought a bkie from Halfords a few weeks ago. This one here. I think I got last years model, I only paid about ?330 for it, and it's white and red, not grey.
                            Normally I'd stay away from Halford's bikes, but some of their Carreras are pretty good and that looks like a very well specced bike for the money.

Thinking of putting a new seat on there, cause the stock one is quite uncomfortable.
                            So many people do this, but any saddle needs a ride in period. Most saddles will be agony at first, but over time your arse and your saddle will actually adjust and get used to one another. Give it a while before splashing any more cash.

Would chaning the break pads make breaking better, they squeek and slide in the rain, can you get special wet (English) weather pads. Tar
                            You might need to toe in your pads. Basically this means the end nearer the front of the bike is slightly closer to the rim. Some brakes allow this adjustment, others you simply remove the pad and stick piece of card in between the pad and the brake to give it a very slight slant.

If that doesn't make any difference, you could try dual compound pads. These are supposed to have a softer compound at the front of the pad to reduce squealing. Never tried them myself but they are supposed to work well.

Also, if your pads get wet, when you don't need to brake, hold down the brake gently so that the pad rubs slightly against the rim and this should dry them off.

Comment

WTF

Comment

Unirally, we love you!

Comment

Working...
                                X