No announcement yet.

The Cycling / Bicycles Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are peoples opinions on these inner tubes with slime inside to stop punctures. After having a 9 mile walk last weekend because my spare blew out as well im thinking of one of these(riden 21 when everything went wrong)

But, having recently taken all the thorns that got imbedded in my tyres that weekend im wondring if its a good thing be riding unaware of loads of thornes in my tyres.

Bri

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbles View Post
      Okey, I live in Lewisham in south east London and cycle quite a lot. I am interested to find out if there are any cycle clubs like the Ramblers association but on bikes?
      Originally posted by Tirian View Post
      Well, this is not exactly a cycle club, but if you're in London and like cycling you have to give Critical Mass a go, at least once .. just for the experience of it. 6.30pm, under Waterloo Bridge, last friday of each month - i.e. this Friday.
      http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk/
      Originally posted by gunrock View Post
      Hello and welcome. That's my neck of the Woods (well, Sidcup actually) and I occasionally ride through Chislehurst and along into Petts Wood, down into Orpington and (if I have time and energy) I continue through St Marys Cray and into Crockenhill, up to Swanley and back home again.

Hmm, I didn't notice all this when it was first posted. I'm in SE London and probably a member of that Lewisham cycle club... though I've never been. I'm also a member of Critical Mass... and have never been. Yeah, I'm rubbish.

The main problem is none of my friends ride so I only use my bike when I need to pop over to Greenwich on the weekend. If any of you SE Londoners are interested maybe we could do some rides. Likewise, anybody interested in the Critical Mass ride... do you still do it Tirian?

I have a vintage '93 Clockwork Orange.

Comment

I take a spare inner tube, levers and pump with me when I ride. However, I've not had a puncture for years due to thorns or whatever since I switched to lightweight foldable kevlar reinforced rubber. Seems a better way than slime. Or I could just be lucky.

Comment

or just ride proper off road trails where the only punctures you have to worry about are 6" long gashes due to slate/rock. not fun, in this case make sure to wrap a load of gaffer tape around your pump (to cover the gash from the inside of the tyre). it can make the difference between a relatively tedious slow ride or a long ass walk.

Comment

I have a new toy...

Full spec on my site.

Try this secret weapon for punctures. Meant to work great. I also carry a couple of co2 canisters and an inflator. Mini pumps are a p-i-t-a, especially for road bikes at 100psi+.

Comment

ah, if we're doing that (nice bike btw, assuming you'll be getting uberfit soon? also, why shimano? i always assumed campag was the way to go on non mtb) then i'm seriously close to acquiring one of these frames to build up, my tart bone is tingling.

Last edited by Crisp_Rapper; 06-02-2007, 12:13.

Comment

Nice frame there Crisp !!
                good for the some downhill action !
                I tried one with rear suspencion before I bought my last bike, but the for biking I'm doing the hardtail was the better choice (netherlands doesn't have many mountains........)

Comment

why shimano?
                  The STI levers on Shimano are nicer to hold than Campags (I have 'em on my road bike and I like to get the equipment the same so I can swap gearing between the 2).

And the top of the line Shimano is cheaper than the top of the line Campag. I had Campy on my previous road bike but I just prefer Shimano now. I think it works better, even if it doesn't look quite as tarty.

Nice frame BTW.

Comment

i knew there was a logical explanation somewhere... all of the roadies i know won't go near shimano, it's campag or walking it seems. nutters the lot of them.

and foes make bikes i've lusted after for years, i think it's about time i had one. i just love the curnutt shocks, they're so smooth well built it's unbelievable, that and a 2:1 shock ratio means it doesn't have to work as hard as your usual bike designs with a 3:1 ratio. sextacular.

Comment

hi, just got a quick question as my cousin is looking to get a new bike just for doing a few bike rides with us(just the normal family bike rides)
                      he's looking at this bike-
                      Buy Product not found at Argos. Thousands of products for same day delivery, or fast store collection.

is it any good?
                      are muddy fox good?

thanks

Comment

That bike is fine for the money. It's difficult to judge value at £300 -most mountain bikes worth the name start around the £400 mark. Muddy fox used to be decent but they went bust l think and now who knows? for £300 that bike will do the job. Don't expect too much though.

Comment

personally i'd keep it as simple as possible at that price point and this is something i'd take a look at:

lovely bike, so simple, understated and yet quality... i've seen this bike in the flesh and tootled around on it, i want one. only thing i'd do to it is swap the pedals for something a little better.

it's also £20 cheaper than the one you're looking at which'll get you the aforementioned pedals and some spokey dokeys.
                          Last edited by Crisp_Rapper; 31-03-2007, 22:55.

Comment

'06 Marin Nail Trail, never ridden a bike that fits me so perfectly (and ive ridden a lot of bikes!) Mainly ride cross country, do the odd bit of down hill when i can lend the bike. Saving up to buy a DH this summer prob a Big Hit or a Orange 224

Comment

bighit, do it... it DEVOURS bumps like no other bike i've ridden (bar a demo 9). utterly unstoppable.

*edit: and orange bikes (still) look like they're made in some guy's shed.
                              Last edited by Crisp_Rapper; 01-04-2007, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper View Post
                                bighit, do it... it DEVOURS bumps like no other bike i've ridden (bar a demo 9). utterly unstoppable.

*edit: and orange bikes (still) look like they're made in some guy's shed.
                                yer its a big hit i borrow off of my mate at the mo, tbh im 90% going to get a big hit, as your say it will just eat up anything you throw at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X