No announcement yet.

The Artwork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers but I'd just use Legos in that case. I found square beads on eBay but have decided not to do that because my pixel art is too hi res(oh, the irony) so just going to cut the figures out.

In other news, a mate asked to be pixellated so I did. He's a Resi fan so I made him look like Chris:

I'm starting to get the hang of this as I popped this one out quite quickly(although I used my own pixel face as a starting point cos my mate looks similar)

Comment

How about using something really thick, but easy to cut like some plain white Lino or some corrugated card? You could cut that into little squares and paint them?

Comment

Well the characters will look similar to what I just posted there. I'm not too worried about them now because I think I might just have a 0.5cm border around the edge so they look like cut-outs, or I might just cut the actual pixels out around the edge cos I'm hardcorps like that.

Need to get cracking, deadline is next Saturday. I'm taking Wed-Fri off work as I have some fun nights planned so I'll have time and should start printing out tables and the like. I'm excited to see how it turns out and I'll put a photo up on here when it's finished. Gonna order the frame from eBay now...

Comment

The softer side of Judge Dredd...

Comment

I really hope that whatever you do for a living puts your artistic talent to good use Dogg.

Comment

Thanks Ikobo! I do put it to use to a limited but still rewarding extent.

Comment

Some Borderlands pixel characters I did recently.

Some of the characters from my game Wonton 51.

Comment

Lunar Rainbow...

Comment

I love that Dogg, easily my favourite one you've drawn. I think it would of been cool even without the rainbow

Comment

Thanks Boris! The rainbow might have been overkill but I just thought how weird it would be to have so much basic colour somewhere as totally grey as the moon.

Comment

I love that too... I can imagine the same scene, without the rainbow, but perhaps with a blue or red star in the distance. I think less would be more in this one Dogg, still brilliant though mate.
                        ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I love it, but it needs more rainbows.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            The softer side of Judge Dredd...

Loving this, Dogg. <3

Could you talk a little about the process? Always interested to hear how stuff like this comes together.

Comment

Well this one was somewhat chaotic. Usually with the non-pixel images, I sketch them out really small on paper first - I find the smaller I draw the cuter they end up. Then I photograph them with the iPad and bring them into Procreate. I'll do a very quick sketch of the main colours for the entire image and then basically just build them up with detail passes. I'm working on a little Halloween one that I can illustrate that with when finished.

But this one was sort of messy. I sketched it directly into the iPad first - no paper doodle with this one...

Rather than doing a full pass on the colours, I just worked up the characters. I think I wasn't sure I would take this to completion. So I put down the main flat colours for the characters and then just shaded them a little. It was quite rough...

From there, I blocked out the colour for the background. That allowed me to remove the sketch altogether, which I like to do at a much earlier stage usually. Then I shaded the background a little. You can see it's almost there at this stage...

And then the last pass was just adding some highlights, details like windows in the background and so on. The little extras...

And that's it. Not the best example of how I work as I deviated from my usual methods quite a bit but gives you an impression I guess. This one was quite a quick one and I was never sure it was going to be any good. The one I'm working on at the moment, by contrast, is probably the picture I have worked on the longest ever. At a few points, I thought it was finished only to them do another detail pass, each taking longer than the last.

For my pixel doodles, I usually just go direct and work up from start to finish pixel by pixel. I use an app called Tiny Pixels, which has only one layer, no transparencies and doesn't allow me to bring in a reference sketch. It is limiting but I quite enjoy it - there's something almost pure about it.

Comment

What pen do you use for drawing on the iPad?

Comment

Working...
                                X