No announcement yet.

The Artwork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only just discovered this thread, better get posting! Here's some stuff I've done over the past couple of years. The first two I did whilst at uni, the rest are stuff I've done since graduating. Any thoughts hugely welcome!

This is NinjaKitty, my gf's character design decked out in rhythm action stuffs.

A commission for a chap who liked my previous Zappa related drawinz. Dunno if it shows but Super Paper Mario inspired me a bit whilst doing this!

Iz Travis!

This is just some guy I drew in a comic once, figured the gaming nods might be enjoyed here!

It's all digitally coloured, but I've also scanned some painted canvases for added texture. They all start life as inked drawings.

Comment

Love the ink with the textures, amazing work. More!!!

Comment

Wow! Very funky stuff!!!! Art envy!!!!!

Comment

Crocky-chocky, fantastic work there mate. Love your style, very bold, very vibrant... and incredibly detailed with colour. Love the little details, esp the flowery designs on the clothing. Really impressed. You should check out the site called Redbubble, you can upload and even sell your work there. Your art would look bloody perfect on cards or whatnot. I've got a little gallery online if you fancy a peak: Redbubble.com

Malc... In regards to pencils, it really depends on you. I personally tend to lightly draw outlines with my trusty 2h (which is considered as a 'hard' type of pencil) and then I add depth and shade with 2B, 3B and 4B (they are 'soft' type). However... When i'm drawing fine hair detail, i go back to the 'hard' pencils, such as 2H, HB, B... In fact B is a good pencil to use because it allows you to draw thin, sharp details yet is darker then HB. It really depends on your drawing style though. I like focusing on finer details yet others like to draw more softly, which requires more lighter shading.

Oh! Something else to remember, something i've only recently really started to focus more on, is the importance of shadowing. Dark, thick, black shadows can bring a whole new level of life and realism to your work.

Anyhoo! Looking forward to seeing more matey
          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Cheers fellas! I'll probably put some more up when I get a mo.

Had a gander at your gallery Adam. Very nice! I'm liking your 'Plars' very much, and also the foggy lighting on 'Emptiness' is dead smart. Also, your use of biro...truly they're one of the greatest things to sketch with!

Comment

A new one from me :-)

This is a drawing i did to use as my Christmas cards this year. Any one else done some Christmas related drawings?

Comment

Here are a couple of sketches I've done when I've been bored.
                Yes the dragon is ****.

Comment

Your artwork is amazing, Adam. You should be doing this for a living!

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post

*"Glancing up at the stars I feel comforted by the enchanting tapestry; a beautiful contrast of sparkling silvers attached to a black sky. It is darkness tantalized with mystery, and shares the emptiness I feel in my heart."*"*
                  Excellent.

This looks similar to a scene from a dream I had a few months back, which is pretty eeiry...

*Rooted Silence*

This one is my favourite though. Reminds me of something you'd see in a book of slightly darker than usual children's stories (most of the pics from this set do, actually), or even the back cover of an album.

I like the fact that these were drawn with biro as well. It's always good to see people using "unconventional" drawing tools to good effect.

I actually used to draw a lot at one time as well, but at some point made a conscious decision to pursue music instead (I still think I'm better at music than visual art). I have a book of old sketches I'll dig out if I can be arsed to scan them up. This thread may inspire me to pick up the pencil again, too!

Thanks very much for sharing these with us.

Comment

Originally posted by crocky-chocky View Post
                    Only just discovered this thread, better get posting! Here's some stuff I've done over the past couple of years. The first two I did whilst at uni, the rest are stuff I've done since graduating. Any thoughts hugely welcome!

This needs to go on a wall. A BIG wall!

Comment

Thanks Ady, really appreciate the kind words.

I'm trying desperately to do illustration as my work, like you i've recently made a conscious effort to pursue art as my chosen path..... it's just bloody difficult knowing where to start or who or where to turn to. I sadly have no GCSEs or any form of qualifications or training when it comes to Art so feel somewhat hindered by that... though that's why i'm trying hard to build up my portfolio at the mo.

I'm also writing a couple of things at the moment, some of which i'm hoping to illustrate for too... There's just not enough hours in the day!

Anyhow, thanks again dude for your encouragment. You should definitely get those pens and pencils out. If you ever have a spare five minutes i'd love to see some of your sketches you mentioned.

Take care mate.

edit:

oh, and Boris, loving the bloody dragon sketch!

Comment

Adam. God. You are amazing. Honestly.

Comment

Thank you buddy :-)

I've done a couple of new ones here...

Last edited by Adam Stone; 13-03-2009, 12:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
                            A new one from me :-)

This is a drawing i did to use as my Christmas cards this year. Any one else done some Christmas related drawings?
                            Bloody hell your work is amazing! This ones got a slight Raymond Briggs quality to it. Dont take that as a dig its just the hair & the xmas setting I think that gives me that impression. I've seen your other stuff & its got a very creative atmospheric look to it that I really like. Amazing use of light & shading in your work. How did you get those tree lights to shine so bright?

I started doodling again recenlty after giving up on Art back in school. Wanted to do GCSE & then A-Level but my art teacher totally killed my love for the subject with his attitude, control & lack of creativity back then.
                            You've inspired me mate!

Crocky: your work is solid mate. Beatuiful use of colors & backgrounds & a very original look to your figures that I love. Really uplifting.

Comment

I know what you're saying about your teacher killing your love for art, the same thing happened to me too... My teacher hated me (and if he didn't he certainly acted like it...), he didn't like the fact i liked to draw things that had detail, rather then splashes of paint. I never finished my GCSE in art because of him... But still, since Feb 2008 i took it upon myself to do what i love best and it feels amazing. I have a lot to learn, and i'm very eager to :-)

I'm very pleased you've got that spark back to buddy, definitely keep it up. Have you done anything new lately? If so please share dudey...

I've finished a piece today, took a while (used lots of materials to get the desired soft effect, including pencil, pen, colouring pencils, water colours and digitial) - but im fairly pleased with the result...

I have a few more sketchy ideas i'm hoping to make into finished pieces soon too :-)

Comment

This is my first comment in this thread but I held it off for far too long to say that you are such a good artist, no matter what anybody else says.

Incredible drawings Adam.

I quite fancy putting something up of my own but it will only get laughed at compared to your efforts.

Comment

Working...
                                X