Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 112 View Post
    SAVE the hamster/s!

Someone should raise this issue with the RSPCA! Ive nevr thought about having a pet, but after this thread i think i want a hamster now! Are they fun to play with? I mean, will i get as much joy with one like i do with my Wii?

LOL, I am feeling the same, they suddenly have went from annoying little rodent's in my brain to friendly little loving pet's. Amazing how someone else's enthusiasm can totally change your thinking on things.

I am sorry to hear about your loss mate, I think anything you get close to and lose really hurt's you no matter what it is.

Comment

He was definitely dead, he was cold and hard, he's definitely passed to the hamster heaven.

Comment

112 - hamsters are brilliant pets. They don't take up much space, and as long as you keep them clean they do't smell. Don't take too much looking after either. My brother had one many moons ago (RIP Kodak). He got him for his 11th birthday, having persuaded our mum and dad he was responsible enough by carrying around an imaginary hamster in his arms and stroking it for the previous few months. You have to play with them every day otherwise they start to get aggressive (we lost Kodak twice, ocne for two months, and when we found her again she was quite vicious and bit me a few times). My brother had a little toy furry dolphin which Kodak hated - given a chance she used to bite and claw it furiously. They're good escape artists, too - make sure you keep the door closed.

This thread is making me think I might get one myself!

Comment

Our cage has a small suitcase padlock on it! Seriously! She (Hanna with the big balls that is) learnt how to prise open the cage door in the first few days!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard.John View Post
            You are aware that they sometimes hibernate meaning that they are not actually dead? My brother thought his hamster had died and buried him in the garden but then read about their sleepy habits. Doh !

had a hamster when i was a kid - came home from school one day, parents were out - me and my sister found the hamster in a bad way - we made some hot milk and force fed it in front of the central heating - it soon died, i think we drowned it somehow
            It had obviously started hibernating, and we didn't know any better.
            Sad @ the time, but slightly amusing now.....

Comment

I knew I'd come back to this thread one day with something to add, really dreaded it.

Just got back home to find my hamster, Miike, motionless in his little house.

He's had a reasonably long life and faded badly in the last week, spending most of the time sleeping. I got a bit down about it on Monday when he wouldn't even come out to play in his ball (to chase the cats), but its still hit me as a major bummer. It's just not very pleasant picking up the cold lifeless body of something that's been part of your life for a couple of years, and having to bury it in the dark.

Comment

I feel sorry for you prinny.

I know what it's like to lose a hamster, a real shame.

Comment

Our hamster, Sooty, died last February. It's not nice losing a pet, no matter how small they are.

Comment

Indeed, it's sad. I'm just happy that I still have some photo's of the little girl. Luckily, it was just before she became ill, so she looks really healthy in the pictures.

Comment

Oh man, it's happened again.

Miike's successor, Mario, has died after only 3 and a half months.
                      The little fella was a pocket battleship, he'd climb to the top of his wheel and cling onto the roof waiting to come out. Some nights I'd go past his cage and there'd be silence, then I'd notice that he was clinging upside down, on all fours, calm and effortless as you like. He'd always come sprinting out when he heard you nearby, even at midday.
                      Anyway, the missus saw him looking fit and healthy yesterday morning. Lying in bed last night I thought it was a bit quiet, he's usually pelting round by then, so I went to see what was up. I could see through the hole of his house that he looked asleep, so I banged on the cage to wake him up but he was still motionless. Cue that same old feeling as three months ago. I took the cage apart and found him cold amongst his bedding, stiff as a board. His eyes were shut so i guess he died in his sleep, and his tail area was a bit messy, with a light brown discharge.

I can only guess it was wet tail but it's all happened ridiculously fast. His cage was a bit messy - due a clean - but I've since read that wet-tail has nothing to do with having a dirty cage and is due to complications after stress. I really can't think of any stressful incidents. Two nights ago he was in ship-shape, fleeing around in his ball for an hour. Kidney failure maybe? Heart attack? His cage is fine, no messier than usual, no nasty bits, just the usual hamster chaos.

I probably feel more upset over this one dying than the last, because he was so young, and seemed like a bundle of energy. It's totally bewildering. I've never had a hamster die of wet-tail and he didn't seem naturally 'weak'. Another midnight burial, bloody awful.

Comment

Poor guy hasn't lasted long at all, sorry to hear that

Comment

Soz dude.

Comment

That sucks, man. Sorry to hear that. Poor little guy.

Comment

Thanks guys.

It seemed sudden so I don't think he was in much pain, but it's really pissing me off because he seemed like such a fit little dood and I didn't really get to know him. Out of those 3 months I had a week worth of Oftsed fretting and a week on holiday, so I never really spent much time with him, which is getting the guilt juices flowing.

Comment

did you get another one?

Comment

Working...
                                X