Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This needs your attention if you're serious about fine snacks! (twiglet related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very weak-willed when it comes to crisps, so when saw 2 for £2 for these multipacks in Asda this morning couldn't resist. Normal bags are 50p for 46g anyway, and if I don't like any of the flavours will pass them off on the missus or kids

Will post impressions of them all by this time tomorrow no doubt.

My arteries heart me
    Attached Files

Comment

Right, impressions.

Duck & Hoisin Sauce (as posted the other day).
      I'm not a big Duck fan in general, the crisps were nice, not too greasy but I could only really taste the Sauce flavour in them, no Duck coming through at all. After a couple more bags, these are probably my favourite of the six.

Chili & Chocolate.
      Pretty grim, doesn't work at all as a crisp imo, nice little chilli kick once you've finished eating but that's about it, smell and taste pretty vague. Strange choice and not very well implemented. Only one person out of about twelve in the office liked them.

Builders Breakfast.
      Taste quite similar to Smokey Bacon with a bit of Tomato Ketchup and egg thrown in, not a bad mixtue certainly one that would grow on you.

Fish & Chips.
      Smell and taste pretty strongly of fish, not hint of vinegar. Didn't enjoy at all.

Onion Bhaji.
      Smell really nice, but taste quite mild, remind me a bit of McDonalds sweet curry sauce, could have done with more oomph in the flavour.

Cajun Squirrel.
      Very sweet and not very Cajun like, reminded me a bit of Walkers BBQ Rib, which i really detest. Less sweetness and more Cajun and they would have been great.

Overall pretty disappointing, would only probably buy the Duck and Onion Bhaji ones again.

Can only see the Duck ones being the overall winner. Rest will be phased out, pretty much as much as they deserve.
      Last edited by VR46; 26-01-2009, 11:55.

Comment

Pretty impressive stuff David. Well done on getting through the ones you don't even like. Fish crisps sound revolting. Bring back "Fish and Chips" and "Chicken and Chips" snacks I say!

Not sure Walkers will keep the Duck on though will they? Surely that'll conflict with their duck "Sensations" crisps?

Comment

Nice impressions. I did fancy trying the Bhaji and Fish flavours. I may wait till the fabled variety packs appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
            Nice impressions. I did fancy trying the Bhaji and Fish flavours. I may wait till the fabled variety packs appear.
            Sainsburys have had them for a couple of weeks now, which leads me to believe that they must be exclusively selling them. Also have a 2 for ?2 going on which is good.

Comment

I'll have to check that out. I did have a look when I was doing my online shop with Sainsburys but they arn't on there yet.

Comment

None in my Sainsbury's when I went late last week.

Comment

Great impressions David, true dedication to the cause!

I'm a crisp addict, but I've just had Kidney stones, likely cause of which is too much salt, which is baaad news

I can't give 'em up completely, but at the moment I'm having to eat plenty of the no salt and naked varieties to get my fix, with flavoursome treats at the weekend only. It sucks

Did find my local farm shop selling loads of quirky foreign bags though, which is always good news. Plus they sell Quarterbacks

Comment

My local post office had some Flamin' Hot Wotsits which I haven't seen in a while, bought a couple of bags. YUM!

Comment

I tried the choc and Chilli walkers. Tasted like a "Sick Burp".

Comment

Frankly, none of those flavours deserve to win - perhaps the concept was good but the crisps have been very poorly manufactured. Half of them are just variations on "spicy" with the rest of them tasting of tissue paper (fish and chips huh?).

The first chili and chocolate one I tried, you could taste both flavours, but unfortunately they don't complement each other AT ALL - the chili is of course the dominant flavour and any taste of chocolate is VERY short lived.

Comment

Tried these yesterday, currently a quid a bag (140g) in Tesco's. Absolutely lovely, more like normal crisps than kettle chips, not greasy at all. Great Spicy Sweet Chili flavour. Other flavours were Salt & Peppercorn and Sour Cream & Chili. Neither of those sounded too good to me.

Highly recommended.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I tried the fish and chip walkers the other day. I thought they were not too bad. I was prepared for the worst, and while not living up to the fish and chip snacks of old, they had a pretty good flavour. I'd say they were on par with the duck ones, which were the best out of them so far.

Onion Bhaji next.
                            Last edited by Skull Commander; 13-02-2009, 12:13.

Comment

Well thats them all tried now. Id rank them in this order:

1. Fish and Chip
                              2. Duck
                              3. Onion Bhaji
                              4. Chilli and Choc
                              5 Builers Breakfast
                              6. Squirrel

The builders breakfast ones were quite nasty. Egg, bacon and tomato sauce all mingling. Was ok at first, but by the end of the packet I really disliked them. The Cajun Squirrel get worse the more you eat them too. They are pretty foul.

Fish and Chip ones have crept into the lead for me. The Bhaji ones are ok, but I don't think I'd like htem to get into full production.
                              Last edited by Skull Commander; 13-02-2009, 12:14.

Comment

How the **** does anyone know what squirrel tastes like? I presume it's eaten in poorer parts of the world but FFS...

Comment

Working...
                                X