Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommy Verceti View Post
    Sickening isnt it!
    Yep. This whole debacle needs to end. If this girl isn't turning up any time soon, shouldn't the money be given to the police forces so they can help find the hundreds of other children that vanish and don't make the headlines rather than keeping the McCanns in the life of luxury?

Comment

I mentioned months ago that the money should have been given to the Police for all the time & money that they've wasted due to a Parents neglect, so I agree mate.

Comment

It's astonishing how quickly people take stories in the Sun and the Daily Mail seriously when it suits their own opinions. The Sun and the Daily Mail, FFS.

Anyway, even if true, that money was donated by idiots specifically to fund the search for Madeleine McCann and help the McCanns out financially. Now, clearly the parents don't have consciences, but there's no reason why they can't just keep using it to search for her until it runs out if they want to.

Comment

I'm more disgusted about how the British media are still sympathising with them, yes it's sad that they've lost their kid, but it's their own damn fault no matter how you spin it and we've heard almost nothing of that side of the story from organisations who are supposed to be balanced (yeah right).

It's funny how media in other countries has played clips of your average Brit on the street, yet they haven't played here. I remember clips of people from their home town reiterating the point that if they hadn't been rich doctors, the reception wouldn't have been anything like as good. Why are the British media so afraid to show how so many British people actually think of these people?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
            I'm more disgusted about how the British media are still sympathising with them, yes it's sad that they've lost their kid, but it's their own damn fault no matter how you spin it and we've heard almost nothing of that side of the story from organisations who are supposed to be balanced (yeah right).
            I think it's simply because of the current situation. Most of the press/public are at least partially sympathetic for what the family are going through (Potential subtexts aside) and, while that's the case, there will be a certain amount of restraint exercised in regards to how they're treated by the press.

When we have some sort of closure on this, regardless of the outcome, I can assure you externally facing attitudes will change and they will be questioned more publicly about their decisions that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post

It's funny how media in other countries has played clips of your average Brit on the street, yet they haven't played here. I remember clips of people from their home town reiterating the point that if they hadn't been rich doctors, the reception wouldn't have been anything like as good. Why are the British media so afraid to show how so many British people actually think of these people?
              You need only glance at the front pages of the gutter press to see why they won't print anything negative about the parasitic parents. Perhaps the BBC in days gone past might have been a little more probing, but Blair and Campbell had the BBC's teeth (and brain for that matter) removed some time ago.

I look at it more now of a sad reflection on the state of this country when triviality matters above all else. Today for example, the UK is hosting a barbarous Saudi despot, with whom we gladly sell arms despite his country's truly shocking human rights record. Shouldn't that be front page news? It's like inviting Mugabe over for tea, actually, it's much worse.

Comment

This is never going to end until a body is found, however, the McCanns have possibly stooped to a new low today as I heard on the news this evening that they were in talks about possibly making a movie of their neglect.

KERCHING KERCHING!!

Many had predicted it including myself. I guarantee that if it goes ahead then there'll be a book in the pipeline too.
                They may even get an appearance on Celeb BB as the couple who 'lost' their baby girl'. The Xmas Extras Celeb BB 'mother who's daughter got killed' part has suddenly flashed into my head!

Comment

As for the whole debacle, I presume that most of the sympathetic people are parents who probably at some point have done something similar and can imagine it happening to them.

Personally I think they have no one to blame but themselves but at the same time cant help but feel sorry for thier loss and I imagine they are feeling pretty guilty about it themselves. It in no way justifies the amount of bloody coverage though :/

Comment

If that's true I'm absolutely disgusted, these are the same people that welcomed the decision to shelve the UK theatrical release of "Gone Baby Gone" because it was about a missing kid, now they're OK'ing a movie about their own daughter to fill up their pockets so they can continue their "search" (search for what?)
                    Last edited by Lyris; 08-01-2008, 20:00.

Comment

This is never going to end until a body is found...

KERCHING KERCHING!!

Many had predicted it including myself. I guarantee that if it goes ahead then there'll be a book in the pipeline too. BLAH BLAH BLAH
                      Firstly, they don't necessarily have to find a body. Secondly, do you really think this is to line their own pockets? You don't think perhaps that they need more cash to continue a search? God forbid you ever to have a child go missing abroad. I assume you'll be on the first flight home, "ah, probably won't find her anyway, not really worth looking is it."

And this wasn't only reported in the Metro, it was in the Sun too. If that's not a sign of ABSOLUTE TRUTH I don't know what is. Have Spong run the story?

Comment

Why is there an entire charity dedicated to this? Not wanting to sound harsh, but surely there are much better causes now that could serve far more people (NSPC etc) than satisfying the guilt of 2 careless parents.

Comment

You knows it, Smeg. Then again look at all the good this "charity" has done - it's paid for their mortgage and... erm.. that's it I think.

Comment

And this wasn't only reported in the Metro, it was in the Sun too. If that's not a sign of ABSOLUTE TRUTH I don't know what is. Have Spong run the story?

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                              Secondly, do you really think this is to line their own pockets? You don't think perhaps that they need more cash to continue a search? God forbid you ever to have a child go missing abroad. I assume you'll be on the first flight home, "ah, probably won't find her anyway, not really worth looking is it."
                              Yeah thats right I'd give up completely .

Firstly, I wouldnt have left my children on their own when there was a nursery facility available. What tends to go thru the mind is that they could have a serious accident of some sort if left unsupervised, but unfortunatley it was a lot worse but hey thats the risk they took. What they did is called 'being selfish' in my book.

Secondly, when it was reported that the money given by THE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC was being used to pay for their mortage & suddenly the father goes back to work part-time (which seems to have been knocked on the head now that they're going back out to Portugal 'search') u suddenly realise that although they are well off they want other people to pay for a selfish 'mistake' that should have been avoided in the 1st place.
                              Wasnt the money also given by Richard Chutney enough? If not why dont they ask him for more as he seems to be pretty happy to give it?

If this film goes ahead I (& hopefully many more) will be avoiding it completely.

Comment

Firstly, I wouldnt have left my children on their own when there was a nursery facility available...
                                That's not really what I'm saying. There's no argument at all that they're terrible parents but you can't change the past. The fact* is that their child has gone missing and I don't think anyone can grudge them trying absolutely everything they can to get her back, surely? Even if it means making a film, or writing a book, or publicising the case as much as they can.

*possible fact

Comment

Working...
                                X