Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    A legendary beer, one of the first I ever recorded. It got a 9

Counting down the hours til friday night. Ive still got 20-odd beers in the kitchen so I'm going to lucky dip 6 out to take of VP's for another sesh
    Agree, Champion Ale, it is exactly as it says on the label. My wife's favourite ale. She had a bottle last night.

Comment

Don't talk to VanPebbles about homebrew! In the last 5 years we've had:

1) A little number we called 'Porcelain Scorcher', a feisty swine who we named in retrospect

2) An absolute beast christened 'Thrasher' - when poured, the glass contained 5% liquid, 90% froth and 5% little 'bits'. I had heartburn for days on end.

3) Some unknown concoction, about 7 years old, that tasted of pear schnapps but was supposed to be white wine.

4) A ten year old thing that tasted of rum, dates, blackcurrant and raisins. Truly unbelievable. There must have been new lifefroms growing in that one.

5) A fizzy little chap I made that gave VP relentless, massive quacky farts for 3 days.

6) Numerous others that caused various headaches and shudders. Honestly, you take a swig and your lips retreat over your gums, your teeth gnash together and you shudder, thinking of England.

Comment

And those were the good ones!

Comment

Dear god what do you guys do to it!?!?

Comment

Its the Pebble Brewing Company - whose (Latin) motto is:
            'Maximus Brutalis Otterus
            It's not a good 'un unless you're in a lot of pain'

Comment

proper ace, a good homebrew is almost shamanic. ive spoken with the elder spirits on more than one occasion i can tell you!

Comment

Originally posted by Ish View Post
                Dear god what do you guys do to it!?!?
                Number 1 rule - don't go overboard with the sugar.

If doing a kit usually leave as it, maybe reduce the water or add up to a kilo of enchancer (brewing sugar with extras).

If doing wine use the recipes found online and avoid household sugar, it gives a real nasty alcohol. Use brewing sugar and natural sugar (fruit) as much as possible.

For beer don't really go over 6% for wine don't go over 14%.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish View Post
                  Home brewing is great!

I've got too kits waiting to be put on at the moment. Job for the weekend.

I recommend starting with a Woodforde's Wherry. You can't go wrong
                  Wherry is excellent, a real easy drinker. Takes well to being chilled as well as normal cellar temp.

Comment

My 'effing head hurts.

Comment

6 top beers last night.

Thwaites Double Century
                      Wychwood's BeeWyched
                      Skye Black Cuillin
                      Broughton Oatmeal Stout

Can't remember the other two. Pebbles should be able to fill them in, but he won't cos he's a bone-idle twadge.

Double Century had a quite distinctive orange zest kick to it, which was nice, but it was a solid one-bottler. Any more would have been heavy going. And BeeWyched was superb, just the right amount of honey to make it very tasty but not too sweet; we gave that a 9.

Then at the end we split a monster bottle of Old Peculiar - 750ml It was like a bloody wine bottle!

Edit: Bombardier Burning Gold was the fifth beer. Just one more to go, lazy skank!
                      Last edited by prinnysquad; 09-06-2007, 08:49. Reason: new beer

Comment

Ooof, Bridge Festival ale last night, and a nice guest which I can't remember the name of. And the chap from the micro brewery on my industrial estate hasinvited me round for a cheeky couple.

Comment

I just had a couple of bottles of London Pride last night. Went out for a walk as it was such a nice evening so didn't get a lot of beer drinkage.

I shall probably pop along to one of my locals this afternoon and sample a few delights.

I do love this thread. So much beer love it fair warms the cold dark recesses of my heart.

ET - what did you drink? Beer festival wasn't it?

Comment

Holden's Golden Special is the missing beer! Nicey-nice.

Comment

Stopped in at my local this afternoon. Many tasty beers on.

prinny and vp - you've inspired me to start logging things so....

Timothy Taylors Best Bitter 7/10 - a dry finish
                              Cain's Dark Mild 9/10 - beautiful dark mild with strong chocolate flavours. Gets a bit heavy after a while but extraordinaryly strong flavours for its strength.
                              Youngs Special 8/10 - absolutely first rate
                              Marstons Pedigree - 7/10 - fairly standard beer, nice sulphourous smell to it as there should be!

Comment

That's it, you're hooked now. Having a beer without rating it will be impossible.

Comment

Working...
                                X