This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
    Sounds like me. I would seriously look into a Nokia/Symbian phone if I was doing it again.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at these first and see how I get on. Cheers. I'll have a look at GiffGaff. Hadn't heard of it at all before.

Comment

I'm going for a Desire HD, Xperia Arc or an iPhone 4 in the next couple of days. Still undecided.
      Last edited by Brad; 03-05-2011, 16:41. Reason: Removed my blatant advert.

Comment

Desire HD, terrible terrible battery.

Xperia arc, after having the xperia PLAY for a day which was promptly sent back, i can confirm that sony had somehow managed to futz up gingerbread. Installing programs that cant be seen by a task manager and thus cant be shut off draining the battery constantly, removing things from gingerbread that must of been more effort to take out than leave in. Never a sony phone again, never.

iPhone 4, no real bad qualities really, apart from a personal preference for better battery life, its a great phone.

Also got the galaxy2 out now, motorola atrix which are pretty beastly spec wise.

Ive personally gone for an optimus7 on WP7 as my new upgrade as ive become a whore for the metro UI

Comment

i am looking for a new phone nothing super fancy or expensive
          what i would like

play movie files and mp3s

half decent camera (ideally more then 3.2mp)

built in radio (not web radio )

anyone got any ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Desire HD, terrible terrible battery.

Xperia arc, after having the xperia PLAY for a day which was promptly sent back, i can confirm that sony had somehow managed to futz up gingerbread. Installing programs that cant be seen by a task manager and thus cant be shut off draining the battery constantly, removing things from gingerbread that must of been more effort to take out than leave in. Never a sony phone again, never.

iPhone 4, no real bad qualities really, apart from a personal preference for better battery life, its a great phone.

Also got the galaxy2 out now, motorola atrix which are pretty beastly spec wise.

Ive personally gone for an optimus7 on WP7 as my new upgrade as ive become a whore for the metro UI
            I have concerns over Android in general. My San Francisco was utter garbage out of the box. I've got Cyanogen Mod 7 on there now running Gingerbread and, aside from wishing it was a bit faster and looked a bit flashier, it's pretty neat. But... what if the next Android I get is as broken as this was and yet can't be hacked? Why should I have to hack it to make it work in the first place!?

Never a Nokia again. Windows phone? I've used all the other OSs with Windows in the title and they're universally garbage so why would this be any better?

iPhone. No real problems. I had an iPhone 3gs (til I soaked it) so I know they're good. The Retina screen is awesome but I wish it was 4". Compromises will be made whatever I do.

Anyone know if googlemail can push to an iPhone? I like having push email on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW
              Anyone know if googlemail can push to an iPhone? I like having push email on my phone.
              Yeah of course. Any smartphone will do this.

Comment

OK cool.

Right, narrowed down to either an iPhone or an HTC Desire HD. Success or horror stories on each of these devices?

Comment

No Horror stories I've heard for the iPhone but have heard the Desire HD has terrible battery life.

Apparently the HD screen can drain the battery super quick when in continual use.

I do think this will be a big problem with future clearer smart phones as the screen drains most of the charge

My Galaxy S2 lasted nearly 36hrs on one charge over the weekend & that was with almost non stop fiddling & playing Angry Birds Rio which was quite good I thought.

Neil

Comment

I was tempted by the S2 but Samsung have a history of bolloxing up what should be good hardware and slow to provide fixes and they look and feel a bit plasticy (have discounted the new Xperia Arc also due to Sony's history of cocking up the software). HTC's Sense enhancements seem to really make Android much better. Shame really as tech-wise Samsung are pretty much owning everyone.
                    Cheers for the thoughts Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                      OK cool.

Right, narrowed down to either an iPhone or an HTC Desire HD. Success or horror stories on each of these devices?
                      Do you like to customise? Don't get an iPhone.

Comment

Desire HD has an awful awful battery life, plus the screen is not actually hd in any way, they just slapped hd on it for some reason.

As said before cant really go wrong with an iphone, but its getting a little boring being the same as everyone else.

Check out a WP7 device too so you've experience all 3 OS's, it really is a whole different kettle of fish compared to the old windows mobile. Samsung omnia7 or the lg optimus7. Got my dad the Omnia7 on his contract and he loves it, myself included, just not enough on board storage for myself at only 8gig. Im still surprised something this well designed and smooth came out of redmond

I personally wont be going back to android (despite the fantastic free sat nav) im just sick of constantly maintaining my device. Id rather the device just keeps everything off program wise, hence my switching to WP7, as like the iphone it simply switches stuff off when not in use.

Comment

WP7 doesn't have copy and paste or multitasking yet. I'd liek to see how that's implemented before jumping in!

just went and played with an iphone and a desire HD. The DHD is massive! Also, not as slick or responsive as the iphone.

I don't care abuot customising at all. I know this because my ZTE blade is pretty bare and has a plain black wallpaper lol.

The iPhone has won I think. Just need to decide black or white or wait til iPhone 5. Wish I could know for sure when the next iPhone will be out so I knew whether to wait or not.

Comment

Rumours seem to suggest September for the iPhone 5. Up to now, they have launched much earlier though so it's just so hard to know.

Comment

I'm all over the place. I'm now thinking let my contract run out, make do with this ZTE Blade and switch to a ?10 a month deal and save money.

Comment

Yeah, September seems to be the general consensus. I'm going to weigh my options up when my contract is done in November, but I certainly won't be paying ?30/35 ~month for a contract that is worth ?15 again.

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                                I don't care abuot customising at all. I know this because my ZTE blade is pretty bare and has a plain black wallpaper lol.
                                Customising was the wrong choice of word I think. I should have said options.

Comment

Working...
                                X