No announcement yet.

Royal Mail Strike - Quick Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally against strike action, but the posties have my sympathy (did it for 4 years) - Not just by the work load that is being heaped on them year in year out, but also for being represented by those idiots at the CWU.

There is a lot more to the job than what first appears - The turn over of staff in our office was very high, and kinda enforces the point that folk assume you go in, pick a bag up and start delivering (it may end up like that)

When you think that 80 million items are handled every day (may be more now) it is a huge operation.

On sayng that I do believe the royal mail requires massive modernistaion (they mech sorting flats yet?) but that doesn't mean chopping walks down, and loading existing walks with what is left over.

Either way, good luck posty's - I hope you don't get to rougher a deal.

Comment

I've got 2 cousins and a couple of mates who are posties.. Not an easy job methinks.

There's also a lovely bit of blonde totty who delivers 'round our way too.. She turned up in small shorts, soaking wet with a package for me one day.. Excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by SS004 View Post
        (they mech sorting flats yet?)
        Nope, still not even walksorting them...
        Last edited by Jebus; 06-08-2007, 15:54.

Comment

I'm hearing persistent rumours at work that Adam Crozier and Alan Leighton (Royal Mail's CE and top directory-type-person) are coming under pressure from the government to get round the table. I know thge strikes are being discussed in parliament because I've been reading about it in Hansard.

I'm also hearing that the Amicus talks are still ongoing since last Thursday, which is quite a development in itself since the last attempts at 'talks' failed from the outset. Further to the rumours, there *may* be a development or some sort of progress this week.

Comment

So are there still big backlogs to be delivered or if stuff hasn't shown up yet, should I consider it lost?

Comment

^ na just give it some extra time - I have stuff I placed orders for two weeks ago which should of got to me in a couple of days and only turned up today.
              The mail service use are porch for storing the post bags for delivery so our fab postie signs for and leaves our post first.

Comment

Something turned up for me today that was sent on the 7th of July, so it may just be a matter of being patient.

Comment

I had a game arrive today that was sent on Weds from VG+, a legal letter sent yesterday arrived today but I am still waiting on a package from belfast that was sent on friday

looks like some things are getting through quicker than others

Comment

Still waiting for games to arrive (at their destination, not receiving) that were sent two weeks ago. Even the people striking don't agree with it!

Comment

Originally posted by The Cactuar Cat View Post
                      Still waiting for games to arrive (at their destination, not receiving) that were sent two weeks ago. Even the people striking don't agree with it!
                      For what its worth, I had a game arrive a day or so ago that has taken 3 weeks to arrive. Keep the faith!

Comment

I had something sent on the forum here that took almost 2 weeks to arrive, and when it did it looked like it had been attacked by jaguars.

Keep the faith people.

Comment

i had something sent from the forum yesterday and it arrived today

keep the faith - things might be getting better

Comment

Just so everyone knows, the mail system was basically up to date as of yesterday. However, since the mail centres will be on strike from tonight and the delivery offices / personnel this Saturday, the two-to-four working days delay will once again apply to anything you post from today until we catch up again

Comment

Matty, do you how this will affect international items?

Cheers.

Comment

There are talks in progress that after current strike they will call off the following weeks action as a "period of calm" leading up to september...no word of yet as to whether it's agreed but I'm pretty sure it will be agreed and there won't be strikes after saturday up until september.

Comment

Working...
                                X