No announcement yet.

Watches:What are you wearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting this from my phone so apologies if it needs resized, I'll correct it later.

So new I haven't even taken the film off the screen, but got my first premium watch since selling the Omega Constellation that I'd had for twenty years but stopped wearing as it was terrible - kept lousy time, links kept snapping and then the clasp gave up the ghost so it went back in its box. It really put me off expensive watches at the time.

I'm hoping this is a bit better made and can stand up to being a daily wear. I'm not convinced it's worth the money over the Seikos that I've been wearing the last few years, but then all the value is on the inside so maybe it'll convince me. My only regret is not getting a datejust as I'm already missing the date indicator, but I liked the colours on this too much to pass up.

Comment

That Rolex is a beauty. I don't normally look outside of Submariners or Yacht-Masters but that does look very sleek indeed.

I finally got my bronze diver. These are made by a local watch maker (the brand name is moVas). I've just had my hands on some of his prototypes planned for 2017 and beyond and they are absolutely beautiful. His new designs always astound me.

(drag image into a new tab for a better look)

Comment

I come from a fairly humble and working class family and as such, have to pinch myself occasionally to remind myself how lucky I am.

I?ve always loved watches and have had several over my life. In my 20?s I decided to splash out a bit and brought myself 2 beautiful Seiko Chronographs, 1 traditional and 1 Solar with bright orange highlights that I love. Despite having great watches, I?ve always lusted over the big Swiss makers and dreamed (Literally, dreamed) about owning my own Swiss watch one day.

Above Omega, Rolex and all the others, I?ve always wanted a Tag Heuer specifically because it?s the first watch maker I fell in love with because of their involvement in Formula 1 and Motorsports. From their work with McLaren, sponsorship of the races and branding over the time cards of the old school Bizarre Creations F1 game, it was always going to be a Tag for me!

However, the prices Tag Heuer?s, Omega?s and Rolex?s always command has put those watches out of my league. I droll over them in Evo and Motorsport Magazine, look at the display cases in watch shops when me and my Wife walk pass and look through the watch threads on Bordersdown and Rllmuk but I have never thought about blowing my money on one. Who can justify ?2K+ on just a watch? That was in till this weekend.

I?ve been dreaming about the Tag Heuer Formula 1 McLaren 30th Anniversary LE from when it was revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed around 7 months ago and there was a lot of press about it and their Senna collection. Me and Brother went to the TAG stand at Goodwood and saw it displayed but I must have blotted out the price of it as thought I couldn?t actually buy it. Either way, it was beautiful and with a limited run I never thought I?ll see it again.

Whilst walking past Beaverbrooks in Basingstoke this weekend I spotted the red and black Nato strap out of the sea of silver and gold and sure enough, they had the Tag McLaren in stock. But as a limited edition watch, surely it would be ?3K+? Turns out, it was a lot more reasonable than that, priced at ?1.2K and within my means. Rather than calm me down, my Wife was beautiful and said that you?ve always wanted a Tag, this is the one you?ve fallen for recently and you can afford it. For the first time in my life I walked into a watch shop and asked to try on one of my dream watches. It felt wonderful, really well made, the perfect size, high quality feel yet very robust and strong. We decided to go for a drink and come back later once I had thought it through.

As this was such a massive outlay of money, I thought to myself if I?m going to do it, am I sure I don?t want an Omega, Rolex or Breitling instead? I looked through the range on offer but not a single watch stood out over the McLaren F1 Tag. It was just perfect in my eyes. Perfect size for my wrist, Nato strap which I find more comfortable than bracelet, I adored the new F1 design and the McLaren rocket red colour scheme is eye catching. So with not much persuasion, I brought it!

I?ll wear it every day for the rest of my life. It was a dream to own a Tag Heuer and I?m lucky enough to own the exact watch I wanted. I?m over the Moon!

Comment

That's a great story and some lovely reasons to get it as it clearly means a lot to you.
          It's really nice too!

Comment

Brilliant. Can I suggest you stock up on some more straps [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] ? Or maybe that's not an issue with Tag.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
              Brilliant. Can I suggest you stock up on some more straps [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] ? Or maybe that's not an issue with Tag.
              Oh, have you found the Nato straps on Tag Heuer's tend to be particularly prone to wear or damage?

I tweeted Tag Heuer and asked whether it was possible to get or buy a spare McLaren Nato strap and they told me to ask an official retailer who will be able to help. So I phoned up Beaverbrooks and the lady I brought it from was going to ring Tag Heuer and ask whether I would be able to get another one as a spare.

Do you have a few watches yourself with factory or custom Nato straps as well Charles? If so, where do you buy them from?

Comment

I had a Casio Gshock for 10 years with a fabric strap - it got pretty grotty because I wore it daily. They could be washed I suppose but I went through 3 straps in that time because I wanted it to stay looking fresh.

Comment

3 straps in 10 years when it's fabric and worn daily sounds not too bad going!

I'm hoping I can get a spare official Tag McLaren Nato strap and then I'll put that one in the box for when I want to wear it as it was originally intended or god forbid, stop wearing it! I can then wear the one I'm using now in till I wear it into the ground and then I'll purchase an unofficial Nato strap that resembles the original black and rocket red McLaren.

As I've been enjoying using the Nato strap after years of using metal bracelets, I'm thinking I might get a Nato for my Seiko Solar as that was my day to day watch and will make me want to keep using that, rather then always reaching for the McLaren.

Comment

Aye lovely story and glad you love the watch, My first mid priced watch was a Tag, Carrera calibre 16 and still kinda regret selling it

I've never really been a fan of the formula one tag's, personally I prefer the aquaracer series of watches

Also after buying my omega spectre I've found out I'm also not a fan of the nato straps and prefer a rubber strap, but one without a buckle and after buying a few chronograph's I would never buy one of those again either, just chronometers for me

Just watch (ha!) that the bug doesn't bite you and you might want to own more watches and even though I love Tag and started with a tag I don't think I would buy one again, other watches (still mid range) are much better quality

Comment

I don't normally wear watches, find them uncomfortable and very unnatural being on me, plus i just end up breaking them. However my friend wanted me to have a nice dress watch when i go out, so he got me this for my birthday. Have to say he nailed it, simple, feels nice and quite unusual.

Comment

I have been wearing nothing but slim, mesh metal Skagen watches ever since I first came across them. That was in this thread some years ago, in fact! Wools; very pleased for you. A nice little tale of things falling into place and a dream purchase that was still quite considered. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                          Aye lovely story and glad you love the watch, My first mid priced watch was a Tag, Carrera calibre 16 and still kinda regret selling it

I've never really been a fan of the formula one tag's, personally I prefer the aquaracer series of watches

Also after buying my omega spectre I've found out I'm also not a fan of the nato straps and prefer a rubber strap, but one without a buckle and after buying a few chronograph's I would never buy one of those again either, just chronometers for me

Just watch (ha!) that the bug doesn't bite you and you might want to own more watches and even though I love Tag and started with a tag I don't think I would buy one again, other watches (still mid range) are much better quality
                          Thanks Buster, it?s only a watch but it really means a lot to me. Working class lad done good.

Seems like we have vastly different tastes in watches then!

Must admit, I've never really liked the Aquaracer series of Tag Heuer?s as the face always felt very clean. Obviously, it?s not good to festoon the watch with a **** load of detail but the Formula 1 always felt it got that balance right. Also, I always liked the watch as a purposeful, small and light watch. The original F1 was fibreglass but as time has moved on, the design has matured and the materials improved but it?s still a compact and well made watch with just the right character I?m after. I guess after the Formula 1, the Aquaracer feels plain in comparison.

I was always a silver, metal bracelet fan on watches but after buying a Nato strap for my brothers watch as a Christmas present, it opened me up to the idea of using Nato. Although I have always had a bracelet on my watches, my arm hairs would always get caught throughout the day, they feel uncomfortable when using a computer (Which I use all day in the office) and they add to the overall weight. Now I?ve been using my McLaren for a few days, it really has been a revelation. Very light on my arm, I?ve had no snags on my arm hair and it feels so unbelievably comfortable to wear, more than any watch I?ve owned.

I?ve been recommend a UK online shop called Timefactors by jimmbob over on Rllmuk and they have some high quality Nato?s for only ?12 each. I?m going to treat my well used Seiko Solar to a black and orange G10 to make it more enjoyable to wear than what the watch is currently using. Although I?m going to invest in a Tag Heuer McLaren original Nato when they become available in a few months so I have a spare. And rubber straps? Not for me I?m afraid!

When you say there?s other Swiss watch makers out there who cost the same as a Tag Heuer F1 but are much better quality, who are they? When I think about the big Swiss watch makers, the quality is already so high I don?t think you?ll get much better, it?s just personal preference and after we reach a certain price, how big is your wallet!

Although I think I?ve discovered a compete replacement for game collecting with watches. Today I?ve been on the phone to Beaverbrooks talking about spare McLaren Nato?s and looking online at my next and possibly final dream watch: An Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. Might need to wait a year or 2 though!

Or maybe the Omega Speedster?

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                            Thanks Buster, it’s only a watch but it really means a lot to me. Working class lad done good.

When you say there’s other Swiss watch makers out there who cost the same as a Tag Heuer F1 but are much better quality, who are they? When I think about the big Swiss watch makers, the quality is already so high I don’t think you’ll get much better, it’s just personal preference and after we reach a certain price, how big is your wallet!

Although I think I’ve discovered a compete replacement for game collecting with watches. Today I’ve been on the phone to Beaverbrooks talking about spare McLaren Nato’s and looking online at my next and possibly final dream watch: An Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. Might need to wait a year or 2 though!

Or maybe the Omega Speedster…
                            pretty much the same as me fella, started really with Seiko's and eventually got a Tag Carrera calibre 16 which was my most expensive Tag, but I've owned two Aquaracers and formula 1 which I felt was just too busy for me and sold it quite quickly

Breitling for me have watches in the same price range as tag (upper) and even though I will agree most are breitbling, some look lovely

I did end up with these two which I decided would be heirlooms for the children and held onto them for 3 years

but recently sold them both for pretty much just short of what they cost me so I could upgrade my childrens watches

I wear this for work

which is quite subtle, prefer it over every tag I owned except the calibre 16

these are now the childrens watches:
                            my daughters

my sons

this watch also came with a proper bracelet so he has the option to change if he wants to

it does take over your life a little and I used to own loads of games and low priced watches, now I don't own that many games, really only what I want to play but a couple of lovely watches

Comment

That's a nice collection of watches [MENTION=88]buster_broon[/MENTION] do your kids know they're going to get the watches or are they very young?

I can't imagine I'll become a collector of watches but I've always rocked with 1 watch for everyday use and is more fun and bright with another watch that is more subdued and mature for wear on smart occasions. Any more (Which I have in the past) and I seem to pick a favourite and not wear any of the others. I like the Omega Seamaster or Speedster so can imagine myself getting giddy and picking one up once I've begun to enjoy using the Tag Heuer and possibly transitioning away from the Seiko's.

Comment

Nah too young

3 & 5 so they will get them for a life event, like finishing university or 1st career etc

Will keep them serviced and the good thing about the spectre is that the service intervals are 10 years which is immense

Comment

Working...
                                X