Watches:What are you wearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    Does anyone put screen protectors on their expensive watches?
    Lol not sure if serious!
    I have had my glass replaced before (was probably very expensive, long ago, can’t remember).

My garmin on the other hand does have a screen protector on it.

Comment

Does anyone put screen protectors on their expensive watches?
      I haven’t put any protectors on mine. Can’t tell if it’s good or foolhardy, but I’ve been lucky enough to never scratch any of my watches. From the sapphire crystal of my Submariner Date, to the mineral of my G-Shocks to the Hardlex of Seiko’s, not a scratch… I’ve probably jinxed it now!

Which watch you thinking of putting one on?

Comment

Not really worth it. Sapphire crystal is very tough, if you’re going to hit it hard enough to scratch it you’ll probably crack it.
        Plastic or hestalite crystals are more prone to scratches but are a lot easier to repair. Polywatch is the answer, sort of a mix or acrylic polish and toothpaste.

Comment

Although it's domed so just realised protectors would not work.

I use one on my garmin and have had to replace it a few times

Comment

Lovely watch, if I was going to get an Omega it would be one of those or a speedy.

Comment

What Huxley said. Absolutely do not mess around with screen protectors, sapphire crystals are very difficult to scratch however you will scratch and ding your watch but patina is all part of what makes your watch uniquely your watch.

Comment

GF wants to buy me a watch for my 50th birthday. So I'm looking now even though it's a year away... She's going to get something soon and put it in cupboard.

I'm not keen on anything Rolex, but like the Omega stuff. Much prefer Seamaster to Speedmaster. Thicker bezel.

Any ideas from other brands? I love the ceramic on Rado but can't get behind the look of the watches. I saw some second hand and they looked brand new. Zero reason to buy those new.

Comment

Have a look at Meister Singer. Single handed watches aren't exactly common but look great. If I still wore a conventional watch that would be my choice. I bought a Rado for the ex years ago as she had a habit of fidgeting with watch straps in meetings etc and they didn't last long. Her Rado looked like new years later.

Comment

GF wants to buy me a watch for my 50th birthday. So I'm looking now even though it's a year away... She's going to get something soon and put it in cupboard.

I'm not keen on anything Rolex, but like the Omega stuff. Much prefer Seamaster to Speedmaster. Thicker bezel.

Any ideas from other brands? I love the ceramic on Rado but can't get behind the look of the watches. I saw some second hand and they looked brand new. Zero reason to buy those new.
                    Have you looked at Tudor? Its owned by Rolex, its meant to be a more affordable option but in my opinion they are on par with the basic Rolex models. Black Bay lines are lovely -
                    Browse through our selection of TUDOR Black Bay watches. Filter them by bracelets, materials, size and more. Get your new watch today!

If you want something a little different with some heft to it then Panerai make some interesting pieces.

TBH I would go and try some on to see what feels right for you. A good quality mechanical watch should last a lifetime and you can pass it down etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      Have a look at Meister Singer. Single handed watches aren't exactly common but look great. If I still wore a conventional watch that would be my choice. I bought a Rado for the ex years ago as she had a habit of fidgeting with watch straps in meetings etc and they didn't last long. Her Rado looked like new years later.
                      Thanks for that. My current Garmin watch face tells the time in words to within about 5 minutes It's currently "Ten to Three" ish.

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                        Have you looked at Tudor? Its owned by Rolex, its meant to be a more affordable option but in my opinion they are on par with the basic Rolex models. Black Bay lines are lovely -
                        Browse through our selection of TUDOR Black Bay watches. Filter them by bracelets, materials, size and more. Get your new watch today!

If you want something a little different with some heft to it then Panerai make some interesting pieces.

TBH I would go and try some on to see what feels right for you. A good quality mechanical watch should last a lifetime and you can pass it down etc.
                        Those Tudors are cool. Very similar to what I'm looking for. The Panerai seem well overpriced (if that's even a concept when paying for something that a 3.99 mickey mouse watch can do).

Comment

Thanks for that. My current Garmin watch face tells the time in words to within about 5 minutes It's currently "Ten to Three" ish.
                          I like that relaxed feeling when reading the time. Do we really need to know what time it is to the second? I have the most pared back face possible on my Apple Watch. It has the hands, no numerals and todays date. No other complications or frills. Pity they don't offer a single hand style watch face.

Comment

Those Tudors are cool. Very similar to what I'm looking for. The Panerai seem well overpriced (if that's even a concept when paying for something that a 3.99 mickey mouse watch can do).
                            Austins in Chi are a Tudor authorised dealer. Panerai aren't my cup of tea, just came to mind as I was discussing them with a friend.
                            As a brand they have an interesting history, older models had a Rolex movement and were used by the Italian navy divers.

Comment

@charlesr I remembered you posting about this. I’m 50 next year too and had promised myself another nice watch to mark it, and have been dropping in to the Omega store in Edinburgh now and again recently trying to get a good deal which I hadn’t achieved. My wife is over visiting her folks in Toronto at the moment, and just as I was getting in to bed last night she rang me from the Omega store in Pearson airport as she was coming home, asking what the new watch was I’d been considering. Like you I’ve been hankering after a Seamaster 300M on bracelet (but white dial) for quite a while and she told me there was some kind of special offer on in store this week, so unexpectedly I’ll have a new watch this morning as the price was too good to say no with a hefty discount. She’s already on her way back from Glasgow airport so I might even get it before I head to work. Can give you a run down on what it’s like to own after a few weeks wear if it’s still the model you’re keen on, as obviously I’m giving myself the present ten months early.

Edit: I have no idea what’s going on with the text in this post!
                              Last edited by Colin; 19-05-2023, 09:42.

Comment

HAHAHA!

Edit: HAHAHA!

Comment

Working...
                                X