Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one for you all. When you put the handbreak on, do you pull it straight up without pressing the button so that it makes that mechanical zipper noise or do you press the button so that it is silent. I do it the silent way myself but failed my 1st driving test in japan because if it. They say you need yo hear the noise to know the handbreak is on ! . More like knackering you handbreak in my mind.

Comment

Hmmm, on the Focus I just yank it. Don't care much for the car myself. The handbrake on the MR2 was so smooth and easy to use but I can't remember if I did it silent.

Comment

I think I push the button. I'll try and catch myself doing it when I get home later and confirm. I do always pull it up as far as I can though, habit from older cars with dodgy handbrakes.

Comment

I'm definitely a button pusher - I was told you always should do that because otherwise it causes wear on the handbreak?

Always makes me wince slightly when I hear someone pull up and crunch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
            I'm definitely a button pusher - I was told you always should do that because otherwise it causes wear on the handbreak?
            I remember my driving instructor saying that

Comment

Yeah. Yakumo, Go back and tell your examiner to gtf.

Comment

I don't think the handbrake thing is going to make much odds, I pull mine with the button out.

I've yet to see a worn out pawl/mechanism and I test handbrakes daily, and on a multitude of different cars.

Comment

Originally posted by SS004 View Post
                  I don't think the handbrake thing is going to make much odds, I pull mine with the button out.

I've yet to see a worn out pawl/mechanism and I test handbrakes daily, and on a multitude of different cars.
                  You love that clicking noise I reckon

Comment

My MX-5 (NA series, early 90s) recently got to 100,000 miles, so that means.. you guessed it if you ever had one.. time for the clutch slave cylinder to fail! Nothing like being halfway through a 90min drive to the airport then suddenly realising that your clutch doesn't work anymore Fortunately it's a cheap and easy fix -- I'm just kicking myself that I forgot to replace it earlier.

Comment

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned considering the Japanese car love-in this thread has turned into.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                        http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/m...crz-2010-07-02

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned considering the Japanese car love-in this thread has turned into.
                        That CRZ looks horrid, its just a 2 door Prius.

Rather have one of these babys
                        The FT-86 (86 pronounced hachi roku), a compact rear-wheel-drive sports car, provides driving joy and excitement. * Compact design gives driver greater con...

Comment

Tell your examiner you're not an arse. Anyone who needs to hear the handbrake clicks to know it's engaged must be one of the passengers, that's the only thing I can think of. I imagine you're not Japanese, so I wouldn't be surprised if the examiner was one of those who'd think you'll never be good enough for the Japanese roads or something, or as a lesson in understanding alien cultures

I will admit to having started my car a few times with the handbrake up (luckily it gives a warning chime) but my mum did it often, which caused the handbrake something-or-other to melt and it needed replacing. Of course, the clicking noise wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference as this was pushing off with the handbrake engaged, not forgetting to engage it.

Comment

. I imagine you're not Japanese, so I wouldn't be surprised if the examiner was one of those who'd think you'll never be good enough for the Japanese roads or something, or as a lesson in understanding alien cultures
                            the Japanese are really poor drivers and I could write a full page on why but I won't go in to that now. And yes, I failed my Japanese driving test 3 times even tough I had a British license and had been driving for years. Why did I fail? God knows, they made up new bizarre **** every time. Onece j was told to drive right next to the curb so I did, FAIL! Next time j was told to drive near the centre line !! How dangerous is that! I failed again. The 3rd time I drove about 70cm from the curb an failed because thy said it was too close !?!? Yet the time before the Said yo drive next to it

Yep, the Japanese are awful drivers.

EDIT : Agh, bloody iPhone and it's crazy text replacements
                            Last edited by Yakumo; 07-07-2010, 00:19.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post

I will admit to having started my car a few times with the handbrake up (luckily it gives a warning chime) but my mum did it often, which caused the handbrake something-or-other to melt and it needed replacing. Of course, the clicking noise wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference as this was pushing off with the handbrake engaged, not forgetting to engage it.
                              Starting the car with the handbrake on is normal, and it wont do any damage - Of course driving off with it still on will, but I worry about the driving capability of anyone who doesn't realize they are driving with with their handbrake on.

See it quite a lot on automatic cars where folk slap the auto gearbox into park and never use their handbrake - When the car fails the MoT because the handbrake isn't working (likely seized through lack of use) - It's the old, 'yeah I never use it mate, I just put it in 'P'

Comment

I drove off with my parking break on last week... Still getting used to the car

Comment

Working...
                                X