Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it an electric parking brake on yours Chris?

Comment

Going to sound like an idiot (if I haven't already) but I'm not sure! Its a pedal, kind of where the clutch would be on a manual... but you pull a level to release it. I didn't drive far - the annoying beeping and flashing lights got on my nerves

Comment

Ahh that's a manual one

Comment

I don't know what it is, but I can't get enough of the Toyota iQ! I think it's a bit expensive for what it is, but it does pack a nice selection of tech into a small car. I also like the Honda CR-Z, but I really want another auto.

Comment

£9300 for a 1.0 two seater? Ouch.

And that's the basic model

Comment

So I went to Watford today to my mate's house and when I get to his place he's got a funny expression and is staring at the front of my car. I assume it's my dodgy semi-pavement parking which took me about three minutes to get right, but he tells me something's leaking. I pop the hood and there's coolant shooting out from a crack in the expansion tank. And by shooting, I mean it was hitting the bottom of the windscreen from inside the front of the engine bay, as well as everything in between. So I stand around like a muppet for a few minutes waiting for the pressure to relieve itself before opening the cap and staring intently at the contents, willing the car to fix itself.

Now get this - the coolant tank cracked last year in the Summer in the exact same place (a few cm below the venting cap, and the cap also broke down) and I got it replaced a few months ago at my local garage.

Called the AA guy later on and he filled it with water and told me to drive home slowly and keep an eye on the temperature gauge, which stayed at half-way the whole time. Interestingly, when I arrived home and popped the hood, the coolant was bubbling out but wasn't spraying wildly like before, but when I looked under the car, the water was dripping from a different part of the bay (ok, there's an engine cover underneath so it may have just been routed differently).

I rang a mechanic who's hopefully coming to look at it later on this week and he ran a few things off the top of his head, such as dodgy radiator (although it was replaced only a year ago) up to possibly the head gasket (which I think is a pretty major job).

I think Watford's a bad omen. My bro's Toyota badly conked out in Watford while I was driving it to work and now this!

Comment

If the head gasket had failed then you'd more than likely have contaminated coolant (oil mixed in with the coolant), or vice versa (coolant getting into the oil - can be spotted as a cream-coloured residue on the oil filler cap or dipstick). That would certainly be expensive, but there are plenty of other things that could cause it such as a failing water pump, radiator fan, sticking thermostat, etc.

Comment

Anyone know what the 60/80/90 symbols on the back of lorries mean?

Comment

Isn't that the speed they're limited to? (in kph)

Comment

They're scores that lorry drivers cross off corresponding to the number of hitchhikers they've murdered.

Comment

@ endo.... lol

Chris: but why have all 3 on one lorry?

Comment

Different types of road, night/day? No idea!

Comment

Finally picking my car up next Friday.

Comment

I saw a MG ZR (Rover 25) today with all the usual boy racer accoutrements. On the back window was a sticker proclaiming Hondas are for homos. Oh the irony...

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
                                If the head gasket had failed then you'd more than likely have contaminated coolant (oil mixed in with the coolant), or vice versa (coolant getting into the oil - can be spotted as a cream-coloured residue on the oil filler...
                                Cheers. I forgot to mention the AA guy checked the dipstick and the oil was clean, and so was the coolant.

Comment

Working...
                                X