Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a Mk V Golf Estate. The Mk VI Golf is out quite soon and is already available to configure on the VW.de website.

Thankfully the Mk V Estate isn't getting replaced till 2010. Might even have my car by then...

Like the shots of your RX 8. Need to get some decent shots of my Boxster to share sometime. Don't even think I have taken any since the roof conversion.

Comment

I see, an estate. Please show us your Boxster. What do you think about the Cayman? Clarkson doesn't like it but I think it's great, superb styling.

Comment

The Cayman in White is something very special. Not that I'd say no to one in any colour of course.

Comment

White with red leather equals A Carrera Turbo would go down nicely too.

Comment

Saw a Cayman S in a dealer in White recently, VERY nice. Also saw a red one on the streets yesterday with a fixed little rear wing, hadn't seen that before, also super nice.

Comment

I read that they are built for Porsche in Finland, but still that wouldn't deter me in the slightest. Gorgeous machines and maybe my next car (unlikely)

Comment

The Boxster and Cayman have been assembled by Valmet in Finland for years. My own Boxster is a German built model but it's not something I went out of my way to look for.

The engines etc are still built in German as are the bodies which are made by BMW. It's just the assembly is carried out by Valmet as Porsche don't have the capacity.

Regarding the Cayman I think it looks great and would really like to own one but I also really enjoy having a convertible. I intend to hang on to my Boxster for a while yet. It's such a capable car that I never tire of driving. And I agree the Cayman looks great in white.

The Cayman is being mishandled by Porsche I feel. It's arguably the best car they make and deserves to have the kind of power the 911 series gets. Then Porsche would have a real competitor to the GT-R.

I hope you do get a Porsche on the drive one day mate. They really are something special.

And I know an estate car but we do need something practical with four doors. And the Mk V Golf chassis is a corker. And I'll be getting it chipped the moment the warranty expires!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  ...since the roof conversion.
                  What's that then?

Comment

My Boxster is a pre facelift model 986. The 2003 model year onwards has a glass rear window in place of the old plastic one. I had the roof on my car changed to one with a glass window which brings the bonus of a heater element.
                    I'm not into having a hardtop on the car through the winter as I'll take any opportunity to get the air in the hair. Not that I have too much hair these days.

Another bonus was no 'Boxster chop' so I fitted a replacement relay which allows one touch operation of the roof and let's me put it up or down at up to 25mph. Very useful when you get caught in the rain.

I'll post some photos shortly.
                    Last edited by CMcK; 04-09-2008, 13:40.

Comment

The pride and joy:

My Boxster just after I converted the rear lights to the clear version. Note the plastic window:

You can see the smaller glass window in this picture:

And my cousins old RX8 on alternative duty:

(And my A6 loitering in the background!)

Comment

Would love to drive a Porker one day. Maybe I will ask for a test sometime, though they will probably tell me to piss off and come back when I have more money.

Comment

Thanks for that CMcK. Very nice, I was just saying to the mrs yesterday when we were out in our motor with the roof down and we saw a Boxster that I may get a test drive in one to see what a 'real' sportscar convertible is like. May be a bad idea though as I'm not sure I'd want mine anymore.

I better post some pictures of mine now (sorry they're a bit poncy):

On a side note, yesterday we were on the A23 with the roof down, as we were passing an 'on' slip road I could hear a roar that I thought was a sportsbike (def a strung out '4' anyway). When it came into view next to me it was a D reg (Mk1?) Sierra Cosworth (not the prettiest of beasts but I know they're supposed to be fast). Anyway, he was a bit boxed in and clearly wanted to get into the fast lane so he booted it. MY GOD it was savage, just disappeared like I was doing about 30mph. Still ugly though.

EDIT, snap to R.J re the test drives!!

Comment

Alastair,

I am the same. Somebody 'offered' me a test drive in a GTR, but I can't do it as my own car will seem like a shopping trolley after that. I can't shatter my own illusions of what makes a good car, and the 8 is great car in my mind.

Those 80s Fords were fabulous. I lusted after an XR3i many moons ago. And your Green machine is brilliant. There is a reason why it's the world's best selling sports car, and it's not only price.

Comment

Too many fancy new cars in this thread, so here's a picture of my project to lower the tone.

Comment

What is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X