Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We looked at the A6, A5 and A4 earlier this year as a replacement for our ancient A6. The A5 is quite easy on the eye but has the same hideous dash as the A4 which was what put me off the both cars. That and the gear change in the 1.8TFSI was so plasticky feeling and so noisy through the gate. Feels like a throwback.
    Both A4 and A5 rode well but were a bit choppy at low speeds and the traditional Audi failing with vertical damping is still there but much better than the previous A4.
    That 1.8TFSI powerplant is really smooth and refined. Far better than the 1.8T in my A6.
    The modern A6 is really well screwed together and pleasant inside but the ride is a bit harsh for the type of car it is. Plus the entrance to my drive is a wee bit on the narrow side and I wasn't convinced it would fit!
    Have only seen a couple of pictures of the A7 but it's a handsome looking beast.

Comment

Arggh that's a bit annoying for you guys who bought rental cars - I don't think there is much you can do about as it happens, but it isn't good form, more so from a main agent.

But you have your warranty and that is going to cover you with unexpected problems - I don't think I have ever seen a rental car that hasn't or doesn't show signs of abuse.

Maybe it isn't so much an issue if you're only keeping the car for a year or two, but any longer and from my experience these ex-rental and demonstrators do have problems, from very minor to very major.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post

I can't believe you've got an RX8 as a first car, I'm jealous, take care in it though!

I'm enjoying the wet weather we're having at the moment, rear wheel drive and wet corners/roundabouts = nice little slides, nothing too silly but fun none-the-less.
        I can't believe it either at times. Such a wonderful machine, a true thoroughbred.

Anyway, thanks for that advice, cheers. The car seems fine actually so hopefully no damage, though I didn't think about the brakes at the time, but obvious really as they would have been soaked.  

It was a test of my nerve more than anything as RWD plus torrential rain could have proved a recipe for disaster if I had panicked at any point. I always leave the TCS and DSC on as moments like those prove that you never know when you might need them.

I kept it in high gear, is that correct to avoid trouble in the wet? I assumed that dropping to third could unbalance it due to engine braking and cause a loss of control.

I have yet to slide my car but that's more out of fear of wrecking it than not wanting a little tail happy fun.
        Last edited by Richard.John; 03-09-2008, 03:48.

Comment

Anybody watch Fifth Gear here? It's trying to be TG a bit too much for my liking but still a good show and at least they do feature everyday cars.

Actually a silly question as of course you guys watch it.
          Last edited by Richard.John; 03-09-2008, 01:40.

Comment

You won't get much engine braking with a rotary

Comment

Here is a pic I took today

Last edited by Richard.John; 04-09-2008, 02:45.

Comment

And another

Comment

Originally posted by Richard.John View Post
                  Anybody watch Fifth Gear here? It's trying to be TG a bit too much for my liking but still a good show and at least they do feature everyday cars.

Actually a silly question as of course you guys watch it.
                  Saw it this week for the first time in ages.

I am now lusting after a Civic Type R Mugen RR

Sounded awesome & looked great too

Comment

Loving the pictures of the new Ka ST (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...tre_stage.html), I think it looks great. Would it be too embarrasing to actually own though?

Comment

Does look good doesn't it, bit like a squashed sporty Citroen C2. Tne new Fiesta isn't looking too shabby either.

Was saying to Chris Field earlier that I've hardly seen any 58 plated cars on the road so far, either sales are very slow/slim or I've just missed them all.

Comment

Ha all the 58s I've seen so far have been Fiat 500s oddly. Not seen many though, can't recall any other 58s.

Comment

Aye, usually there's quite a few but not seen many so far either. Blame it on the credit crunch - seems you can blame anything on it nowadays.

Going back to a few posts back, the Audi A5 is admittedly lush, though I personally find too much of Audi's designs to be too straight-laced, sticking too much to the core brand designs and making them all too similar, just coming in different sizes. Only the A5 has its own individual character, as such. the new A4 is too flat though, just does nothing for me.

But then i would say that, considering I have serious love for:

wub!

Comment

335i? Beautiful car, and that's something as it's a Bangle design. The new Ka is damned cute actually.

Comment

Saw the new Scirocco in the flesh when I went into the VW garage to chase up my Golf order the other day. Very nice. The demo car was red with dark cloth interior. Looked the business. Don't know about the huge triangular grab handles on the doors but the interior looks good considering it's a tarted up Golf dash.
                              I always liked the original Scirocco and the Corrado VR6 was my dream motor until I got into Porsches.
                              The Passat CC looked braw as well. Really does look surprisingly sleek. Not sure about the HUGE grille at the front but they done a great job of the rest. As with the Scirocco the dash cannot hide it's origins but the standard kit level is generous. I think if this had been shown before we ordered the Golf I would have tried to nugde the good lady in that direction instead.

Comment

Would that be a 'new' Golf or is that model not out yet?

Front end of a mark II RX-8

Last edited by Richard.John; 04-09-2008, 01:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X